Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Downgraded on a Barclays upgrade voucher

Search this Thread

Old Jul 19, 2022, 8:54 am
Original Poster

Downgraded on a Barclays upgrade voucher

Like many I am despairing with BA and have a couple of complaints ongoing.

last week my husband and I flew Belfast - LHR- Vienna. We had booked club Europe and used a Barclays upgrade voucher.

10 days before our BFS to LHR leg was cancelled and our only viable option was BFS to LHR with Aer Lingus in economy (we had multiple issues with not being given lounge access/ precook seats despite being bronze/ get the equivalent luggage allowance). Despite quite a number of hours on the phone I was unable to get any of these issues resolved. On the day we arrived into LHR and our flight to Vienna was delayed (2 hrs so no compensation for that). At the gate we proceeded to board in group 1. We were abruptly told we couldn’t board at this time and to take a seat. The entire flight was boarded and I despite asking staff why we were not being permitted on, I was told to sit down and given no information. Eventually when the whole flight was boarded we were told that one of us was to be downgraded to economy.

so out of our 4 flights using a Barclays upgrade voucher 3 were downgraded. I am aware that I will be entitled to a small number of avios refunded, but wondered if I am entitled to the upgrade voucher being refunded, given that it was essentially rendered useless. Any help much appreciated!
Old Jul 21, 2022, 1:34 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: LH HON, BA GGL, AF Plat, EK Plat
This is a tricky one because BA will tell you 'tough luck'.

however you are entitled. they wont restore the voucher or anything like that but you can pursue them for refund under EC261 (check the main thread) for 30% i believe of the business fare --> i would just specify what you want eg 20k avios for the hassle or 300gbp (or whatever value you would put on it). ba will say no and force you down MCOL route.
Old Jul 21, 2022, 2:04 am

Programs: BA Gold
We’ve seen this lots here with AMEX vouchers but is this the first example we’ve seen here of a downgrade with a Barclays voucher? It might be worth flagging it to Barclays too as they might be interested to know how BA is treating its customers given that the relationship is fairly new.
Old Jul 21, 2022, 2:24 am

Programs: Sir Ratechaser Seigneur de la Patience d'un Saint (Mucci), BA Silver, Starbucks Gold
Originally Posted by volar
We’ve seen this lots here with AMEX vouchers but is this the first example we’ve seen here of a downgrade with a Barclays voucher? It might be worth flagging it to Barclays too as they might be interested to know how BA is treating its customers given that the relationship is fairly new.
I'd go a step further and make it a formal complaint to Barclays - financial services regulation has a lot more teeth than the CAA, and they might well want to be seen to take action if a customer says they were not provided with a service that came as part of a banking account relationship. At the very least, I'd have thought you could argue they are jointly liable with BA here?
RockyRobin, sdmr, volar and 2 others like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.