Wiki Posts
Search

Drone spotted on approach to LHR

Search this Thread

Old Jul 17, 2022, 2:42 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Exec Gold
Drone spotted on approach to LHR

Yesterday evening I was onboard the Finnair operated A321 from Budapest which landed at about 19.56 at LHR.
I was sitting in 1A with its unobstructed view and, as usual, paying close attention to everything outside the window particularly as it was a beautiful, clear evening until my breath was taken away about 90-120 seconds before touchdown by a white drone flying in the opposite direction no more than some 80-100 metres off the port wing. Its height was just a little lower than our aircraft. Flying in the opposite direction as you can imagine it absolutely zipped by but it's rotors very clearly visible.
Upon landing I reported it to the cabin crew so that they could inform the captain, although unless he was looking to his right at that moment I don't know how he could have not seen it.

I'm not sure how common this is or whether any others have had a similar experience.
Old Jul 17, 2022, 2:45 pm
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
It is possible the drone was authorised and carrying out official airport duties.
HIDDY likes this.
Old Jul 17, 2022, 2:52 pm

Programs: BAEC GGL/GFl, HH Diamond, BW Diamond, Virgin Voyages Deep Blue Extra, Blue Peter Badge Holder
Don’t think it can be. If it was official, it would be operating under ATC clearance and if the report is correct, this would be a breach of separation. I’m sure our resident LHR ATCs can enlighten us.
Old Jul 17, 2022, 3:02 pm

Who remembers the Gatwick drones? Regiments of ‘special forces’ deployed, anti-ICBM batteries installed, all flights cancelled ………….

Someone saw a light in the distance, blinked and it moved. Interpreted as a terrorist drone attack rather than, well, somebody’s vivid imagination!

And some poor sod was arrested and interrogated even though he was miles away working.
Sprodo, omk298 and nancypants like this.
Old Jul 17, 2022, 4:03 pm

Not trying to call the OP a liar but this story doesn't seem to be true. Due to the Gatwick incident a lot of measures were taken.

​​​​​1) All advanced drones have geo-fencing meaning the drone will physically ignore actions by the drone pilot to enter restricted airspace. This was implemented near airports, stadiums, prisons etc.

2) technology was set up around airports that essentially hijacks the drone frequency and commands it down. This is not particularly advanced or even new technology. Park rangers in the US have been using this tech in handheld systems for a couple of years.

3) if all else fails they have radio towers which can triangulate the outgoing signals ie the pilot. So worst case scenario they track down the guy and sort it out.

I also remember at the time in Gatwick reading something about the airport working with Israeli tech companies for some new ways to stop drones. Not sure if this went through but in my humble opinion Israelis are pretty much spot on when it comes to shooting things down (pun very much intended)
​​​​​​
So even if only half the stuff was implemented around Heathrow I would be very surprised if I drone could evade detection for anything more than a few seconds
Old Jul 17, 2022, 4:06 pm

One more thing I forgot to add is that advanced drones also have ads-b chips. For example on my drone I can see and be seen by aircrafts within around 10 miles or so.

So I doubt this story could've happened. Unless as a previous poster mentioned, it was commissioned by the airport or someone had permission from the airport. Although this seems even more unlikely as the distance the OP mentioned from the plane would never have been allowed
Old Jul 17, 2022, 7:56 pm

Originally Posted by Jzlerner
Not trying to call the OP a liar but this story doesn't seem to be true. Due to the Gatwick incident a lot of measures were taken.

​​​​​1) All advanced drones have geo-fencing meaning the drone will physically ignore actions by the drone pilot to enter restricted airspace. This was implemented near airports, stadiums, prisons etc.

2) technology was set up around airports that essentially hijacks the drone frequency and commands it down. This is not particularly advanced or even new technology. Park rangers in the US have been using this tech in handheld systems for a couple of years.

3) if all else fails they have radio towers which can triangulate the outgoing signals ie the pilot. So worst case scenario they track down the guy and sort it out.

I also remember at the time in Gatwick reading something about the airport working with Israeli tech companies for some new ways to stop drones. Not sure if this went through but in my humble opinion Israelis are pretty much spot on when it comes to shooting things down (pun very much intended)
​​​​​​
So even if only half the stuff was implemented around Heathrow I would be very surprised if I drone could evade detection for anything more than a few seconds
A simple google search will tell you that not all drones have geo fencing.
Old Jul 17, 2022, 7:58 pm

Perhaps if you read more than two words you would see I said "all advanced drones" not simply all drones. And then there's also the rest of the safety measures I detailed
Old Jul 17, 2022, 8:30 pm

Perhaps if you read more than two words you would see I said "all advanced drones" not simply all drones. And then there's also the rest of the safety measures I detailed
The OP didn’t report seeing an “advanced drone,” he only said he saw “a drone.” Therefore, it was not necessarily equipped with the security features that you attribute to “all advanced drones.”

Are you claiming that the OP didn’t actually see a drone? Was it a mirage? An optical illusion? A lie? Please share with us your infinite wisdom.
IAMORGAN and KeaneJohn like this.
Old Jul 17, 2022, 8:40 pm

Originally Posted by Steve in Olympia
The OP didn’t report seeing an “advanced drone,” he only said he saw “a drone.” Therefore, it was not necessarily equipped with the security features that you attribute to “all advanced drones.”

Are you claiming that the OP didn’t actually see a drone? Was it a mirage? An optical illusion? A lie? Please share with us your infinite wisdom.
I said I don't want to say the OP is lying but I think it's unlikely. Unlikely. Perhaps you should Google that too. Is it possible? Yes. Is it likely? No.

Last edited by Prospero; Jul 18, 2022 at 12:49 am Reason: Remove personal attacks
Old Jul 17, 2022, 8:50 pm

So I doubt this story could've happened.
Was it a hallucination? A bad dream? A U.F.O.? A fabrication? Pray tell!
Old Jul 17, 2022, 8:53 pm

Originally Posted by Steve in Olympia
Was it a hallucination? A bad dream? A U.F.O.? A fabrication? Pray tell!
Could've been a flashing light at the end of the wing! I wasn't there and neither were u. I'm simply stating the FACTS (Google that too) about drone measures around Heathrow and why they're incredibly hard to bypass. Not entirely sure what you're doing
Old Jul 17, 2022, 8:58 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

I wouldn't put it past an idiot without permission to fly a drone close to landing aircraft. So if the OP said he saw one I can well believe it.
Old Jul 17, 2022, 9:01 pm

As I said it's entirely possible although unlikely. If it did happen I'm wondering why it wasn't spotted by Heathrow. It can't have been spotted otherwise flights would've been delayed/diverted and it would make the news very quickly. So the fact that no action has been taken is why I don't think it happened
Old Jul 17, 2022, 9:01 pm

Could've been a flashing light at the end of the wing! I wasn't there and neither were u. I'm simply stating the FACTS (Google that too) about drone measures around Heathrow and why they're incredibly hard to bypass. Not entirely sure what you're doing
The OP stated that the drone’s rotors were clearly visible for 90 - 120 seconds. But you know better.
flygirl68 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.