Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BA vs AA First Class?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 16, 2022, 5:13 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges and Environmentally Friendly Travel

Originally Posted by ademanuele
Just number of rows in each cabin and configuration of seats in Club. As you suggest, looks like 77M given number of rows of Club seats.
I see. Just to clarify, if the CW seat map shows rows 5 to 17, then it’s the 77M. If it shows rows 5 to 24 then it’s the 77H
Old Jul 16, 2022, 5:20 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by Prospero
I see. Just to clarify, if the CW seat map shows rows 5 to 17, then it’s the 77M. If it shows rows 5 to 24 then it’s the 77H
It is CW 5 to 17…
Old Jul 16, 2022, 5:25 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by ademanuele
It is CW 5 to 17…
You have been pointed to Aerolopa already, but this page allows you to work out which is which.

https://www.aerolopa.com/ba-777-types
orbitmic likes this.
Old Jul 16, 2022, 5:42 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold
Thanks, that’s what I used together with Expertflyer. I guess the only proviso is that BA (I assume) are upgrading their seats and things may change by next year? I last flew First in June in the 2010 suites and they were fine.

Seems to be mixed feelings towards BA First, I have only experienced BA and Emirates First (on the A380) and I thought Emirates had a much more polished product, including the showers! BA do see to be trying (though it may not seem like it at the moment), hopefully we will return to some sort of normality by 2023🤞
Old Jul 16, 2022, 5:47 am

I am flying out in1st with AA and back in 1s with BA to DFW at the start of August. I will do a comparison.
Main issue is that the AA flight has been moved to T3 and connection wasnt massively long before.
Old Jul 16, 2022, 6:20 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, M&M Senator
In the last few months, haven't all AA destinations from LHR with First (DFW, LAX, JFK, MIA) been from T5? Not sure about BA planes but if you want AA first from LHR, currently I believe that means T5 and no Cathay first or Qantas lounge in T3. Obviously that can change in the future, but for now, AA first means a T5 departure and the Concorde Room.
Old Jul 16, 2022, 6:29 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges and Environmentally Friendly Travel

Originally Posted by eefor jfp
In the last few months, haven't all AA destinations from LHR with First (DFW, LAX, JFK, MIA) been from T5? Not sure about BA planes but if you want AA first from LHR, currently I believe that means T5 and no Cathay first or Qantas lounge in T3. Obviously that can change in the future, but for now, AA first means a T5 departure and the Concorde Room.
As of this week, all AA flights are back at T3. Rosary beads (or equivalent) are recommended
Old Jul 16, 2022, 6:45 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, M&M Senator
As of this week, all AA flights are back at T3. Rosary beads (or equivalent) are recommended
Wow. That's big news. Since BA is moving over to T8 at NYC, I assumed that having AA first at T5 was permanent. Has AA reopened its first lounge in T3?
Old Jul 16, 2022, 7:01 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
Originally Posted by eefor jfp
Wow. That's big news. Since BA is moving over to T8 at NYC, I assumed that having AA first at T5 was permanent. Has AA reopened its first lounge in T3?
Not according to aa.com.
Old Jul 16, 2022, 9:00 am

Originally Posted by Tobias-UK
Not according to aa.com.
I was told last week that AA would like to reopen their lounge now flights have moved back, but the lead time for stocking and staffing it exceeds the very short notice they were given about the terminal move. Makes sense really. In the meantime of course, the removal of many BA flights from T3 has created space in their lounges, and AA customers are being invited to use those for now.
Old Jul 16, 2022, 9:49 am

Programs: BA, U2+, SK, AF/KL, IHG, Hilton, others gathering dust...
Accepting that almost everything at this end of the cabin spectrum is highly subjective, my view is that if you have a BA 77H aircraft with the latest BA F seat, that’s superior to the AA seat (though the seat adjustment / lighting controls took a little getting used to). On other aircraft it really is personal preference, I don’t think there’s much difference in seat quality overall when it comes to 777s (the extra space on on the BA A380 may be a slight factor, but not relevant for JFK). I like the AA swivel seats, but very much a personal thing. The cabin was a little tired on my last couple of AA F flights this year, but that can also happen on BA.

Otherwise, it does come down to what’s important to you. Now that AA is back at LHR T3 for JFK, personally I would take the CCR over T3 lounges. CX F food is better, but the lounge isn’t the most spacious. AA Flagship dining at JFK is nice, and obviously being all in T8 is easier with any US connections. T5 over T3 at LHR might also be a current consideration for other reasons, but that will hopefully sort itself out soon

Frankly I don’t think there is much in it between AA and BA onboard F catering these days. BA’s presentation a bit better, but dishes otherwise hit and miss on both. AA does have online main course preordering, which BA has still not reintroduced, something that irritates me. BA’s onboard wine offering is better, and not just in the very British obsession with Champagne (and BA is hardly a leader in F on this front, bubbles aside, so AA was a disappointment). Flagship lounge in JFK is better than AA onboard for this.

Very much horses for courses. 77H aside, I’d be booking on price and schedule, maybe do one in each direction.
Old Jul 16, 2022, 10:24 am
Fontaine d'honneur du Flyertalk

Programs: Reine des Muccis de Pucci; Foreign Elitist (according to others)
I find that Garlic and a wooden cross works best. Oh Prospero - forgive me - you were talking about a missionary approach and I thought that you meant vampires.

Is it me or do you find T3 claustrophobic at the best of times before Security? Then that seemingly cramped space after security where one is supposed to reassemble one's belongings and attempt to fold one's lingerie properly. Then one ambles though that interminable maze of people spraying the air with what smells like a Tom Cat on a Saturday night, I'm surprised that people are not having asthma attacks on an hourly basis. The only good bit of T3 is undoubtedly the CX Lounge. I adore it and I although I rather disapprove of all this Lounge Hopping like a cartload of tarts on a Benidorm Hen Night, I cannot resist. It will, of course be my downfall as I think that of all the Gold Benefits - this is one that I actually use as well as booking seats before travel.

I actually felt a twinge of disappointment at being back in the T5 Flounge where Baxter Story keep the contract because they are as cheap as the service they deliver. Had I married a Prince rather than a Policeman I too could go into the CCR and whine about that but the world was my oyster and I settled for the shell. Still after 45 years - better the devil I know.

BA's First is absolutely not what it used to be and nor is AAs = of the two I'd rather have BA as I feel more at home there. Simple really/
Old Jul 16, 2022, 10:42 am
Moderator: Qatar Airways

Programs: BAEC GfL & GGL, SQ Gold, Amex Centurion, Mucci des Chevaliers des Bons Mots et Qui Savent Moucher
I've spent far too much time this year in both BA and AA First, most recently this week.

There are lots of relevant comments in this thread already, but something which hasn't been covered is the arrivals "experience" at LHR.

For anyone booking for this summer, I'd pick AA for the basic reason of T3 security is far less busy than T5 security on arrival.

M
IndyHoosier likes this.
Old Aug 25, 2022, 10:38 am

I tried AA FC last week and was shocked at the poor quality of food and service. I have flown BA many times on the LHR/JFK route and have found it generally fine but thought it would be fun to try AA. In sum, it was a low to mid level J experience at an eye popping price upcharge.
The seats are not competitive, as is well known, but the food was poor, the service totally absent (no bread given on one side of the aisle, no proactive offerings of any beverages beyond normal meal service, glasses and cups uncollected, bags not tagged with priority labels, etc.)
The OP made a good choice. While I know a lot of the service faults were down to the crew, many of whom chatted away the entire flight, the food and check in and seats are static data points. The one bright spot was the CX lounge....
IndyHoosier likes this.
Old Aug 25, 2022, 10:58 am

A Good BA crew will make BA F dramatically better than AA F even if it has a good crew
I find I get a good BA crew 90% of the time
I find I get a poor AA crew 50% of the time

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.