Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Do you remember your very first overseas flight?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Do you remember your very first overseas flight?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 17, 2022, 2:00 am

Programs: BA Gold, VS Silver, Marriott Ambassador, HH diamond IHG plat
20, at university. 1984 Trip to Greek islands with some mates for my 21st. This required a train from New St to Gatwick Airport for a flight to Athens on an airline I can't remember. Had to make use of the sick bag during the flight due to the turbulence or the few shandys beforehand. Overnight boats to the islands from Piraeus including birthday on Santorini (no airport there at the time I don't think), on arrival in Naxos, the nice Greek lady had sold on our accommodation that had been booked weeks beforehand by a travel agent because the boat was 2 hours late so we had to sleep on the roof. Fantastic time. I think flying to Santorini would be far less exciting than a trip via Athens and Piraeus, if that is not a heresy on here.
Old Jul 17, 2022, 3:50 am

Programs: EC Blue, EB Silver, FB Gold
I was around 15 months old, hence I can’t remember my very first trip which was OSL-AMS-BAH. The first leg was either SAS or KLM, most likely on a DC-9, followed by Qantas on a 747. The first long flight I can remember was the summer before I turned 10, OSL-CPH-BRU-LIS-MPM. The first three legs were in business with SAS (still remember the reg: OY-KGB) on. DC9-41, second leg Sabena on a 737-200 convertible, third leg TAP on a 727. We somehow got downgraded on the last leg to Maputo on a TP 707, and upon arrival the embassy had misplaced our visas and we were put in detention for a few hours.
Old Jul 17, 2022, 4:15 am

The first flight was from Bermuda to New York, carried by my mother. The first I can remember was in an RAF Chipmunk from Exeter Airport; I was sick.

Later, and strangely still in the RAF school cadet force, I managed to avoid a flight in a Hercules by deliberately confusing the GMT used in a control tower with the real time.

Hated flying; when forced to do it for work I used to fly to GLA but come back by train. However, I evolved to love it, I still find looking down on clouds a magical experience.
Old Jul 17, 2022, 4:33 am

PanAm B707 HEL-JFK charter flight in the late 70’s. All passengers were exchange students spending the summer sowhere in the US. It was my fourth flight ever.
Old Jul 17, 2022, 4:34 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

My first recollection of flying was that planes don't have gears! Hurtling down the runway I was expecting it to be going up through the gears, but it was a smooth acceleration.
T8191 and blurt91 like this.
Old Jul 17, 2022, 4:47 am

Programs: BA Gold, VS Gold, UA Silver, Marriott LTP, Hilton Diamond
Braniff 727 to DFW - 1978.
was supposed to be going to Iran (Boy Scout Jamboree) but due to political issues at the time, we were sent to the USA ..
T8191 likes this.
Old Jul 17, 2022, 5:10 am

Programs: VS FC Gold, BA EC Gold, Amex Centurion, EK Gold, ex-G-ATVK driver
About 1970, LGW-IBZ-LGW on Britannia, probably one of my first memories I can still remember glimpses of, including the seemingly interminable (for a 5yo) 2 hours in the air.

I remember complaining to my father about why we couldn't fly from EMA, our local airport: it seemed so ridiculous to have to get up at 2am to travel down to LGW.
Old Jul 17, 2022, 5:21 am

Programs: AAdvantage ExPlat LT Gold, BA Silver, Aegean Star Gold
Fitting my username from JFK to EZE before I was two... I think Aerolíneas on either a 742 or 747SP (I truly hope it was a SP). I had several flights with AR in the late 80 early 90s... I did fly a VASP 743 in the early 90s.
Old Jul 17, 2022, 5:47 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
1975, Air Anglia on a Fokker F28 ( I think). ABZ- AMS.
redpalmetto likes this.
Old Jul 17, 2022, 6:03 am

Programs: BA Gold
Hi DYKWIA,

What software/website are you using for that record of flights. It looks straightforward - I'd like to try it. Could you either post details or PM.

Thanks.
Old Jul 17, 2022, 6:06 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Originally Posted by southsquare
Hi DYKWIA,

What software/website are you using for that record of flights. It looks straightforward - I'd like to try it. Could you either post details or PM.

Thanks.
Have a look here :-

Introducing MyFlightPath.club - flights tracker and shared calendar for BA flyers
Old Jul 17, 2022, 8:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Or https://www.ba97.com/home.asp

The only one I managed to get my records back to the Dark Ages of piston-engined TATL! Even if the USAF did manage to lock our food in the hold with no access for the CC!
Old Jul 17, 2022, 9:21 am

Programs: BA Gold, American Airlines, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond
My first BA flight was 216 IAD-LHR in the early 1990s. I love that route's flight number 216/217 remains to this day.
Also early 90's was BA's MIA service briefly operated with a 747-200 upper deck cabin that was all coach - as a low-budget (yet somewhat savvy) traveler I loved scoring the front row of coach on that upper deck.
Old Jul 17, 2022, 12:30 pm

Programs: BAEC
October 1964. TWA 707 from JFK to Rome and then on later that day to Brindisi courtesy of an Alitalia prop.. All thanks to the USAF. The movie was Zulu, still one of my favorites and had a middle seat in economy. At 19 none of these things bothered me. Return flight in Aug 1966. was delayed by a TWA staff strike. Currently in France waiting to see if I get a “three fer” if BA manages to cancel my flight from TLS for a third time.
Old Jul 17, 2022, 3:46 pm

Programs: BA Gold
I must admit, my first flight was not BA, it was TWA755 from LHR-PHL on 11 August 1986. I was relatively 'old' by then (my parents always perferred overland/sea travel to European destinations - even if it took a day or so to get there!). The thing I remember about that flight was i) the bus to LHR showed Airplane, and ii) upon arrival, the 'international terminal' was a hanger - we deplaned on a stairway, walked over to the hanger which had a few desks spread around - that was 'immigration', then we picked our bags off the luggage trolleys. Oh, the seat number was 30-6 (yes, 'pre'-letters).
The return was BA216 from IAD-LHR on 21 August. I remember seeing concorde taking off from the viewing deck (which at that time was below the control tower). The nice thing was that as soon as I was onboard it was like being back home - and they made a decent brew in a proper (china) mug - this was economy as well!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.