Search

Scene at SFO on 14 July 2022

Search this Thread

Old Jul 14, 2022, 8:24 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: Piggly Wiggly "Shop the Pig!" Preferred Shopper
Scene at SFO on 14 July 2022

Well this should be interesting: two A380s and one 777 departing from SFO today, all close in time.

I'm on #286. For some reason the later of the two flights didn't go out last night. So that A380 sat at SFO overnight, and is set to fly at 18:00 this evening.

I know things are a lot crazier at Heathrow, but looks like we'll see a mini version of the madness at SFO tonight. I wonder if the BA lounge will be able to hold all eligible for entry.
Old Jul 14, 2022, 8:29 am
Moderator: Hyatt Gold Passport & Star Alliance

Programs: UA-1K 3MM/HY- LT Globalist/BA-GGL/GfL
That lounge is going to be packed!
If you look at IAD for the past couple of days you will see serious delays. I just wonder if it's the 380s.
becks1 and SxMan like this.
Old Jul 14, 2022, 8:33 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
In the past, when this has happened at SFO they ask / beg / insist that Silvers in WT and WTP accept a voucher instead of lounge access, not sure Cathay can cope with this number. Let's hope 284 is on time, that helps slightly, but in my experience few of today's 286 will turn up late, even though that would really help.
becks1 likes this.
Old Jul 14, 2022, 8:34 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Markie
If you look at IAD for the past couple of days you will see serious delays. I just wonder if it's the 380s.
I'll take some photos. I find situations like this more amusing than annoying. I'll bet I see some very special people on the verge of losing it because they didn't get everything they wanted at the precise time they wanted it.

Lounge staff should get combat pay today.
Old Jul 14, 2022, 8:44 am

Programs: Hilton/Diamond, BA/Gold
Originally Posted by Markie
There have been some issues with the 380s looking on FR24 recently; XLEB/D/E/K is showing long delays on its last 4 days, XLEA suffered delays 22/06-05/07. Don't know the reasons, but there do appear to be consistent delays with the A380 fleet at the moment (I don't know if this is more widespread or not)
Old Jul 14, 2022, 8:48 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by andrewr1985
There have been some issues with the 380s looking on FR24 recently; XLEB/D/E/K is showing long delays on its last 4 days, XLEA suffered delays 22/06-05/07. Don't know the reasons, but there do appear to be consistent delays with the A380 fleet at the moment (I don't know if this is more widespread or not)
I don't know these things, but might the A380's large crew requirements be an issue? I'm guessing that it's never been easy to replace a sick crew member close to flight time at outposts like SFO. Now we also have Covid and staff stretched to the limit. Plus the cancellations and delays can lead to more of the same down the road.
Old Jul 14, 2022, 8:48 am

The Dulles 380 service has been consistently late for weeks - in some cases extremely delayed. I think there’s something afoot with reliability on those birds, with less flex than with other fleets making recovery more complicated.
Old Jul 14, 2022, 9:00 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by dhuey
very special people on the verge of losing it because they didn't get everything they wanted at the precise time they wanted it.
Can you imagine paying for a product and expecting it to be delivered? The arrogance of it.

Especially with this year’s rock-bottom ticket prices..
Old Jul 14, 2022, 9:11 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by exeu2017
Can you imagine paying for a product and expecting it to be delivered? The arrogance of it.

Especially with this year’s rock-bottom ticket prices..
To be clear, I agree that if you don't get the product/service you paid for, that's a valid basis to ask for a refund, partial compensation, file a complaint, etc. But I hope we can also agree that it's not a valid reason to take out one's frustrations on airport and airline workers who have no personal blame for the situation.
Old Jul 14, 2022, 9:23 am
Original Poster

BTW, if anyone here is flying out of SFO today and you have access to the BA lounge, keep in mind that you might also be eligible for entry into the American Airlines (Oneworld partner) Admirals Club in Terminal 1 - Harvey Milk. It's a bit of a walk, but it's all airside via a corridor that connects T1 to International-A. Also, you can get into the Virgin Atlantic Club in International-A (entrance to the left right after security) if you have the American Express Platinum Card.

Today's a good day to take a pass on the BA lounge.
Jimmie76, GGL Flyer, jonkx and 2 others like this.
Old Jul 14, 2022, 9:31 am

Programs: BA Gold
One A380 that is in Manila is about to be flown back to Heathrow that may relieve some of the issues. Assuming it is ready to enter service straight away
Old Jul 14, 2022, 9:39 am

As one of my "home" airports, I'd like to see updates on this if folks at SFO can provide them, please!

rb211.
Old Jul 14, 2022, 9:42 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by RB211
As one of my "home" airports, I'd like to see updates on this if folks at SFO can provide them, please!

rb211.
I've designated myself the FlyerTalker reporter on the scene for this. There will be updates and photos. I'm not normal.
Old Jul 14, 2022, 9:43 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, Total Wine & More Reserve
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
In the past, when this has happened at SFO they ask / beg / insist that Silvers in WT and WTP accept a voucher instead of lounge access, not sure Cathay can cope with this number.
As in the CX lounge? It’s still closed.
Old Jul 14, 2022, 9:46 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by econ
As in the CX lounge? It’s still closed.
Yep, still closed. Too bad as that's a great lounge with a noodle bar.
EuropeanPete likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.