Wiki Posts
Search

Merge 2 Avios Bookings BA/IB?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 5, 2022, 5:21 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Exec Club
Merge 2 Avios Bookings BA/IB?

I am travelling BA LHR-MAD (Club Europe) and then IB MAD - TFN (Economy). Both booked using Avios but they are on separate confirmation numbers.

I seem to remember from years ago that it is possible to merge 2 separate bookings, pretty sure I did this with BA and AA and the extra baggage from my BA business transferred onto the AA economy flight?

Am I completely dreaming here, or is that possible, and if so, how can I do that?

Thanks,
Old Jul 5, 2022, 7:13 am

Programs: BAEC GGL
You cannot in general merge bookings - even two bookings from BA. You can achieve a similar result for 2 pax in the same cabin on the same flight with the same issuer using TCP ("To Complete Party") which with a following wind gets them seats next to each other. But you cannot merge two bookings for the same pax on different flights (particularly with different issuers).

You might be able to check luggage through notwithstanding (though normally not with BA). You can ask at the desk checking in. I've also discovered in some remote airports (not LHR), the automatic checkin machines are sometimes more generous if your API (incl. BAEC number) are on both bookings (i.e. offered me the ability to through-check on different tickets). There's a thread about it here where corporate-wage-slave determined that this facility apparently has been "wrongly not disabled" on some gateway to Amadeus or similar. I would neither rely on that being there, nor on it working. And it won't be any help to you in this case since the first flight originates in LHR. So I strongly suspect the answer is no.

I suggest HBO!
KARFA likes this.

Last edited by abligh; Jul 5, 2022 at 7:23 am
Old Jul 5, 2022, 7:16 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Yes, do ask and you may get lucky, but unfortunately both IB and BA have a policy not to check through bags. So make sure you plan on that basis and leave enough time between flights to collect your bags, go landside, and re-check them.
Old Jul 11, 2022, 7:26 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Exec Club
Thanks both - that's good to know and will take into account.
Old Jul 11, 2022, 10:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by tuppence

Am I completely dreaming here, or is that possible, and if so, how can I do that?

Thanks,
you are as others say you can ask about the luggage and might get lucky but merging tickets is just a no-no and has always been.

all they can do on avios is maybe cancel one of the bookings and rebook the other segment again on the existing booking if theee is still availability but that’s it and that’s not a merger (really redoing the booking).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.