Search

Expert Flyer says YES - BA says NO

Search this Thread

Old Jul 4, 2022, 9:08 am
Original Poster

Programs: Avios, Virgin, IHG
Expert Flyer says YES - BA says NO

Hi,

So I have been chasing some avios flights now I have my new companion voucher. EF states 9 I class seats on a date, but then I go to BA to check avail and taxes and it says 0.

Has anyone else had any experience of this and how correct is EF?

Thank you
Old Jul 4, 2022, 9:10 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club
Hilton 5+ BadgeHyatt 5+ Badge

Programs: BA GGL, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Mucci des Salons Ouvrants
Have you checked your Point of Sale - Experflyer normally has a default to USA but the BA team will be looking at UK POS - there can be different availability between the two.

Regards

aks120
golfmad and m8_rotate like this.
Old Jul 4, 2022, 9:10 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Are you looking at UK point of sale on EF?
Old Jul 4, 2022, 9:13 am
Original Poster

Thank you both for the replies. I am using flight avail search and then for I class with BA only flights on dates. Excuse my lack of knowledge for the UK point of sale part. What do I need to do for that?

Thank you :-)
Old Jul 4, 2022, 9:17 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold 1MM, BA Gold, UA Peon
Here, on the EF search parameters page:

You can also configure your default point of sale in your EF user account preferences.
m8_rotate likes this.
Old Jul 4, 2022, 9:23 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by flatlander
Here, on the EF search parameters page:

You can also configure your default point of sale in your EF user account preferences.

Great, I have done that and it shows 7 seats, but on the BA search for avios and adding my voucher shows 0 seats, hmmmm
Old Jul 4, 2022, 10:20 am

.....and I have now found Expert Flyer. Thank you for this. My life just got a little easier.
golfmad likes this.
Old Jul 4, 2022, 10:20 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
I think you are looking at revenue selling class availability on EF. Reward availability isn’t necessarily related to that, and the fact BA are selling seats for cash doesn’t mean there would be any reward availability.
pythonisman likes this.
Old Jul 4, 2022, 10:47 am

Originally Posted by KARFA
I think you are looking at revenue selling class availability on EF. Reward availability isn’t necessarily related to that, and the fact BA are selling seats for cash doesn’t mean there would be any reward availability.
I suspect OP is referring to "i" in context of the new companion voucher where there's supposed to be additional CW reward availability from that fare category. Unfortunately it doesn't always seem to be the case.
Old Jul 4, 2022, 10:55 am

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire
Originally Posted by Bullswood
I suspect OP is referring to "i" in context of the new companion voucher where there's supposed to be additional CW reward availability from that fare category. Unfortunately it doesn't always seem to be the case.
correct. The way I would put it that I class availability is an indication. There is a possibility that works similarly then the GGL joker where you need at least D class availability but if any other GGL is on that flight then you won’t get anything. Could be other factors too and none these will be public. The best way is to use the BA web page select the voucher then look for 2 seats. That method always shows the correct availability.
Bullswood and Pointtopoint79 like this.
Old Jul 4, 2022, 11:53 am

It seems like you need I9 on UK POS for the extra availability to maybe show
Pointtopoint79 likes this.
Old Jul 4, 2022, 12:00 pm

It may be the case that the OP has earned his voucher with the blue (free) Amex, which now only allows you to redeem seats in economy. This has been the final thing to push me to the new Barclays avios card, as I didn’t realise this had changed.
Old Jul 4, 2022, 12:35 pm

Originally Posted by Krisz
correct. The way I would put it that I class availability is an indication. There is a possibility that works similarly then the GGL joker where you need at least D class availability but if any other GGL is on that flight then you won’t get anything. Could be other factors too and none these will be public. The best way is to use the BA web page select the voucher then look for 2 seats. That method always shows the correct availability.
Yes, the dummy booking is the only way to establish any extra availability for the Premium Plus Card Companion Voucher. Like a lot of people, I suspect, I thought that an enhanced ability to use the voucher whenever there was "I" availability sounded too good to be true. And it was.
Old Jul 4, 2022, 12:43 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club
Hilton 5+ BadgeHyatt 5+ Badge

Programs: BA GGL, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Mucci des Salons Ouvrants
Originally Posted by flatlander

Thank you - I have been using EF for many years and didn’t know you could change the POS!

regards

aks120

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.