Wiki Posts
Search

Awards seats released the day before?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 23, 2022, 8:02 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold
Awards seats released the day before?

I have noticed pretty consistently that there seem to be award seats popping up on certain routes I regularly fly on just one day before departure. I am curious if anyone knows, is this intentional from BA to potentially fill up those remaining seats, or is this just the result of people regularly cancelling Avios bookings very close to departure?
Old Jun 23, 2022, 8:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I've noticed this a lot on domestics, although often in CE on the day or day before. Handy for those who can plan late / hold their nerve !
Old Jun 23, 2022, 8:06 am

Ive certainly seen it before, in Jan this year managed to convert 4 x Club seats to 4 x First seats to NYC, outbound was 2 days before, inbound was day before.
Old Jun 23, 2022, 8:10 am

Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, A3*Gold, AA Plat, HH Gold, IHG Plat Amb, Marriott Plat
In the past I have often seen this. Avios tickets are flexible up to 24 hours before departure. Under book with confidence, flights could still be vouchered until very close before departure but now that has been removed tickets will once again be cancelled up to T-24. Of course, not always will these cancellations go straight back to Avios inventory, but I have found that often they do.

If you managed to book FAO-LCY in CE yesterday for today, you're welcome !
Old Jun 23, 2022, 8:12 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mikeyfly
I've noticed this a lot on domestics, although often in CE on the day or day before. Handy for those who can plan late / hold their nerve !
Exactly, I'm planning some summer travel that's semi-flexible, and I'm trying to judge how much I should gamble with some of the dates that are not available now . Prices for August are pretty crazy in a bunch of places!
Old Jun 23, 2022, 8:12 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold. GGL/CCR.
It's actually always been the case. Once the flight is within a couple of days of departure and the revenue management team are fairly sure what's going to happen they may or may not release additional reward seats.
Old Jun 23, 2022, 8:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by blueparazol
Exactly, I'm planning some summer travel that's semi-flexible, and I'm trying to judge how much I should gamble with some of the dates that are not available now . Prices for August are pretty crazy in a bunch of places!
Also, if Gold you can use a Gold Priority Reward (double avios) and then cancel up to 24hrs before with no charge and full return - or call up and switch to the new availability you've seen and get half Avios back
Old Jun 23, 2022, 8:36 am
Original Poster

Also, if Gold you can use a Gold Priority Reward (double avios) and then cancel up to 24hrs before with no charge and full return - or call up and switch to the new availability you've seen and get half Avios back
That's a great idea, I'm going to do just this! Is "no charge and full return" still the case now that Book With Confidence is over? I thought we would just go back to the £35 redeposit fee.

call up and switch to the new availability you've seen and get half Avios back
Can they actually do this without cancelling and rebooking? (So I don't lose the taxes, etc.)
Old Jun 23, 2022, 8:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I used double Avios (140k !!) for two in Y () back from LAS as a back up plan last month. J opened from Phoenix day before so grabbed this and got my double avios and taxes back no issue...
Old Jun 23, 2022, 9:19 am

Programs: Hilton Honors Gold, Marriott Gold, BA Silver, Hertz President's Club
Just after 12AM UK time on the day before departure, for short haul flights at least, a lot of seats open up for booking relative to the frequency of flights on a particular route. Things that affect this include seasonal routes, route with only 1 flight per day, routes where cancellations have occurred in the days before causing a lot of rebookings.

Outside of the holiday periods, this is what I do for all my short haul flights as it's virtually guaranteed availability on routes such as EDI, DUB, AMS, FRA and MAD (amongst others)
Old Jun 23, 2022, 9:33 am

Programs: BA GGL, CCR; RyanAir MillionMiler :( ;
I used double Avios (140k !!) for two in Y () back from LAS as a back up plan last month. J opened from Phoenix day before so grabbed this and got my double avios and taxes back no issue...
smart! well done

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.