Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BA Boarding Groups

Search this Thread

Old Jun 9, 2022, 5:04 am

Programs: British Airways GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond & Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by abraxias
No of course it’s not, but the individual’s perception matters. Some people may take it as a personal affront that they’re not deemed good enough to be in Group 1.
Thats a very sensitive person I would say
Old Jun 9, 2022, 5:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by PGberkshire
Originally Posted by abraxias
No of course it’s not, but the individual’s perception matters. Some people may take it as a personal affront that they’re not deemed good enough to be in Group 1.
Thats a very sensitive person I would say
The whole of DYKWIA | 2022 edition (and its predecessors - and many other FT threads for that matter) is full of people who think that their normal (lack of) entitlement is a personal affront.
abraxias and PGberkshire like this.
Old Jun 9, 2022, 6:47 am

Programs: BA Silver; IHG Spire; Avis P+; Global Entry
Well if we are making requests, how about a group 0 for GGL's?
There is a group zero... i joined in 3 years ago when i had a kid and we get to board in group 0
Old Jun 10, 2022, 3:11 am

13 people decided to come forward to now check their luggage in at gate on LHR GLA last night presumably when dangled the carrot of preboarding. Just caused significant delay….
Old Jun 10, 2022, 3:25 am

Programs: BA Gold; FB Silver; SPG; IHG Gold
Originally Posted by scottishpoet
I really feel sorry for people who define themselves and their self worth by which airline boarding group they belong to.

if people really find it a personal affront that they are not deemed good enough to be in group 1 then i would suggest they seek professional help
There really is some very interesting psychology at play isn't there? And I totally agree with you. It makes me laugh how some people like to show off their status or that of others as if it's something special- but then again I do it in my forum profile!!! Plenty of friends of mine will point out that I'm a GC holder (who gives a toss?- maybe I am a little proud secretly). And maybe I have simply convinced myself that I am more reasonable and humble than others....and maybe I would feel insulted if as a GCH I am not afforded the perks that I believe I am an entitled to. I'm glad that I've never had to do it, but if I am honest I can imagine for example that if an agent sought to take my bag off me at the gate, and ask me to check it in, I might at least gently allude to my GCH status as a reason for them reconsidering their stance.

P.s. no idea why I have quoted my own post in a subsequent post (which I can't delete either). Clearly status does not extend to IT competence!

Last edited by South London Bon Viveur; Jun 10, 2022 at 3:31 am
Old Jun 10, 2022, 3:27 am

Programs: BA Gold; FB Silver; SPG; IHG Gold
Originally Posted by South London Bon Viveur
There really is some very interesting pyschology at play isn't there? And I totally agree with you. It makes me laugh how some people like to show off their status or that of others as if it's something special- but then again I do it in my forum profile!!! Plenty of friends of mine will point out that I'm a GC holder (who gives a toss?- maybe I am little bit proud secretly). And maybe I have simply convinced myself that I am more reasonable and humble than others....and maybe I would feel insulted if as a GCH I am not afforded the perks that I believe I am an entitled to. I'm glad that I've never had to do it, but if I am honest I can imagine for example that if an agent sought to take my bag off me at the gate, and ask me to check it in, I might at least gently allude to my GCH status as a reason for them reconsidering their stance.
Old Jun 10, 2022, 5:48 am

Programs: BA GGL / GFL, Mucci Diamond!, HH Diamond, Radisson Premium, IHG Gold, Hertz Gold
Originally Posted by South London Bon Viveur

P.s. no idea why I have quoted my own post in a subsequent post (which I can't delete either). Clearly status does not extend to IT competence!
That's like Ed Balls searching for himself on Twitter and then accidentally tweeting "Ed Balls" in a new tweet.
Old Jun 11, 2022, 9:36 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by Tafflyer
This ought to be about efficiently boarding an aircraft. Personally, when in Club, I'm more likely to hang back until boarding is almost completed and happily board last. I don't want a whole flight load of potentially Covid-infected passengers filing past me while I'm sat in 1D.

In Economy of course, there is often no choice if you want your cabin bag in the locker rather than on the floor.

This may be controversial but why do families that need extra time boarding board first? By the time normal boarding starts, these people are often found still folding up strollers and repacking bags at the aircraft door, blocking the path for everyone else. Surely it would be the most efficient to have them board last, perhaps with overhead locker space reserved for families.
We came back from MCO at Easter. They called all families with children under the age of 10 to board first. That was most of the plane.
wanderingjock and becks1 like this.
Old Jun 11, 2022, 11:58 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club
Hilton 5+ BadgeHyatt 5+ Badge

Programs: BA GGL, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Mucci des Salons Ouvrants
Originally Posted by gw76
13 people decided to come forward to now check their luggage in at gate on LHR GLA last night presumably when dangled the carrot of preboarding. Just caused significant delay….
This happens on the EDI flights all the time and just really annoys me - especially as quite a few then just rip off the luggage tag and board first with their bag anyway!!

aks120
Old Jun 12, 2022, 12:27 am
BOH

Programs: IC Hotels Spire, BA Gold
Originally Posted by gw76
I have never been able to work out why anyone wants to board earlier than they have to when they no longer have any significant hand-luggage to stow

The whole point of boarding early-ish is surely only when you have significant hand baggage, so if you then check this in at the gate you could board towards the end? Why does anyone want want to sit in a cramped seat in a cramped metal tube and endure hordes of other pax traipsing past you for the next 20-30 minutes is beyond me,
becks1 and nilsfr69 like this.
Old Jun 12, 2022, 12:55 am

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond *, IHG, Couples Romance Rewards
Originally Posted by BOH
I have never been able to work out why anyone wants to board earlier than they have to when they no longer have any significant hand-luggage to stow

The whole point of boarding early-ish is surely only when you have significant hand baggage, so if you then check this in at the gate you could board towards the end? Why does anyone want want to sit in a cramped seat in a cramped metal tube and endure hordes of other pax traipsing past you for the next 20-30 minutes is beyond me,
This is a very good point, must be the feeling that you'd get if you knew you were group 1.

Recent experience from cdg-lhr on friday btw was that group 1 was called forward at the gate before preboarders.
Old Jun 12, 2022, 1:00 am

Originally Posted by docdee
We came back from MCO at Easter. They called all families with children under the age of 10 to board first. That was most of the plane.
And preboarding for passengers needing extra help on our annual LGW to KIN flight is a sight to behold, normally one elderly lady in a wheel chair along with half a dozen associated relatives, with the gate area completely jammed with group 0.
PUCCI GALORE and T8191 like this.
Old Jun 12, 2022, 1:09 am

Programs: BA Gold / Hilton Diamond / IHG Diamond Ambassador / Marriot Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by firstlight

Recent experience from cdg-lhr on friday btw was that group 1 was called forward at the gate before preboarders.
That chaotic approach sums up the whole CDG experience. I flew last Saturday and between the lack of a lounge, chaotic rude staff at boarding, idle crew in club, and a delay of an hour it was a pretty ghastly experience.
Old Jun 12, 2022, 2:17 am

Programs: British Airways GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond & Marriott Gold
Really, what you want as Group 1 is the ability to board as late as possible (so either get to the airport late, or stay in the lounge longer) and still be guaranteed a bag spot in the overheads. in ET thats impossible, but it could be better enforced in CE (ie prevent people from ET using it). That will be real priority treatment.
lloydah, Ldnn1, stephenjc and 1 others like this.
Old Jun 12, 2022, 3:07 am

Really, what you want as Group 1 is the ability to board as late as possible (so either get to the airport late, or stay in the lounge longer) and still be guaranteed a bag spot in the overheads. in ET thats impossible, but it could be better enforced in CE (ie prevent people from ET using it). That will be real priority treatment.
on AA, in my experience first and coach overhead space in exit/bulkhead rows or main cabin extra is protected by the crew closing the doors and guarding the space. Not ever seen this on BA.
aks120 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.