Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Inverness: best airport in UK?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 7, 2022, 3:42 pm

Programs: BA Silver Seigneur des Horaires des Mucci.
Amidst all the half term flying carnage ; I flew from SOU to Alderney last week, we were the only flight of 20 passengers on n yhe morning; it was like yesteryear; the duty free was open, the Costa opened after they found a Barista!

Alderney was fun on return with hold luggage hand searched and waiting for the flight on a garden terrace

There was a BA cityflyer in situ on our return

In the days of Flybe they used to operate to obscure airports . They used to operate to SEN when there was only one flight a week
and Manston similarly

I have still to break my duck on Humberside and Carlisle

Does anyone remember how lovely Sheffield city airport was?

BA used to operate into there
Sealink and skipness1E like this.
Old Jun 7, 2022, 4:25 pm

Programs: BAEC OW Gold/Emerald
Originally Posted by allturnleft
Amidst all the half term flying carnage ; I flew from SOU to Alderney last week, we were the only flight of 20 passengers on n yhe morning; it was like yesteryear; the duty free was open, the Costa opened after they found a Barista!

Alderney was fun on return with hold luggage hand searched and waiting for the flight on a garden terrace

There was a BA cityflyer in situ on our return

In the days of Flybe they used to operate to obscure airports . They used to operate to SEN when there was only one flight a week
and Manston similarly

I have still to break my duck on Humberside and Carlisle

Does anyone remember how lovely Sheffield city airport was?

BA used to operate into there
Sheffield City was awesome (for as long as it lasted). Great passenger experience from check-in to boarding.
Recall being greeted by my spouse on the other side of the security fence as I disembarked on to the tarmac.
Was great for plane spotting too as you could look down and over the runway.
​​​​​​
allturnleft likes this.
Old Jun 9, 2022, 7:34 am

Programs: Mucci, BA Bronze, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by DaveS
Wick has an airport? Wow, learn something everyday. I have worked in Wick before. I never thought it was big enough to have an airport. It looks like the sort of airport I would like though.
When I lived there, at one point Wick had flights to Sumburgh, Kirkwall, Aberdeen, Inverness, Glasgow and Edinburgh. I remember getting a cooked breakfast on perhaps a Saab340 which was "British Airways Express operated by Loganair". Those were the days!

They now have a PSO service to Aberdeen operated by Eastern Airways with fares from £39.99.
EDIwanderer likes this.
Old Jun 9, 2022, 8:14 am
:D!
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: BA Diamond, Hilton Bronze, A3 Diamond, IHG *G
Wick has an airport? Wow, learn something everyday. I have worked in Wick before. I never thought it was big enough to have an airport. It looks like the sort of airport I would like though.
Originally Posted by Sealink
When I lived there, at one point Wick had flights to Sumburgh, Kirkwall, Aberdeen, Inverness, Glasgow and Edinburgh. I remember getting a cooked breakfast on perhaps a Saab340 which was "British Airways Express operated by Loganair". Those were the days!
I attempted to go to Wick and use the airport several times bu something kept going wrong. Firstly I planned to train up and fly down, but the train kept getting delayed/cancelled. Then I got very close but at the last moment Scotrail decided the train would serve Thurso only and they called me a taxi - which would have missed the flight, so I had to go all the way back by train or get stranded.

Then I decided it might be more reliable to fly to Wick instead and hope the train could take me back, but of course the plane developed some sort of fault once we had boarded, fortunately this meant I could rebook the flight without losing money again (but I still had to pay to get back to London from EDI), which finally met with success.
Sealink and Geordie405 like this.
Old Jun 9, 2022, 9:31 am

Programs: Mucci, BA Bronze, Hilton Gold
Here it is (via Google Streetview, I can't find my pics!)

JTXC and DaveS like this.
Old Jun 9, 2022, 10:34 am

Programs: BA Silver, VS Silver
Originally Posted by Mordac
I haven't used every airport, but here's my stumping for BHD. Always a breeze, staff are great. Even the new Aspire Lounge is better than I thought it'd be when I went through recently.

If I were inclined to split hairs I'd remind posters that IOM/JER/GCI aren't actually in the UK.
I’m usually in the BHD camp, and especially with recent schedules giving me a lot of flights from DUB or (shudder) BFS…

Fast track security is great, and there’s a screen to hide the fact you’re cutting the line until the last minute. Security is usually efficient, though at quiet times I have had “the works” of random checks including a passport swab for explosives.

The switch from a BA lounge to Aspire hasn’t been as terrible as expected. I miss the staffer who proactively parked champagne on ice beside me but for a domestic Aspire lounge it’s pretty good.

Boarding from the lounge is excellent, although there can be a bit of a rush even then as all the Golds and Silvers fight to get their carry-ons above the first few rows.

Which brings me to today’s LCY flight. Although stand 4 (direct lounge boarding, can be done via steps even if jetty can’t fit the Emby) was free, stand 6 was used. I noted this and left the lounge as the inbound disembarked. What ensued was a complete chaos in the gate corridor, with an EasyJet style fenced in area of preboarded pax. Lots of unhappy CE pax! Definitely no group boarding, and a bit of confusion as to who was on the flight, who had scanned their BP already, seat changes, and who was going to Exeter a few gates down.
Mordac likes this.

Last edited by bd95; Jun 9, 2022 at 10:46 am
Old Jun 9, 2022, 2:26 pm

My Daughter had a 2 hours queue for security 2 weeks ago.
Old Jun 9, 2022, 3:54 pm

Programs: BA Gold, HH Gold
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
Sticking to BA locations, my ranking would be

1) NCL, I'm so lucky it's my home airport
2) GLA
3) INV
4) LHR T5 First Wing
5) EDI if Fast Track especially if staff wing is used
6) LGW
7) BHD (some terribly inexperienced travellers there...)
8) LCY (not that's bad really, it's generally quick)
9) ABZ
10) IOM
11) JER (don't handle peaks very well, no fast track)
12) LHR T3
13) GCI
14) LHR T3 Flight Connections
15) LHR T5 Flight Connections, though recent improvements with the CT scanner helps when North is being used.
16) NQY
41,321) MAN

If I look at airports in France, NL, Germany, the BA network in the UK isn't much of a concern. LBA would have been number 2.
Loving the total omission of BHX there. Can’t blame you.
Sealink likes this.
Old Jun 9, 2022, 4:49 pm

Originally Posted by Sealink

They now have a PSO service to Aberdeen operated by Eastern Airways with fares from £39.99.
Cooked breakfast on a S340? surely not! Maybe an old HS748 or ATP? Yes Wick os quite a nice little airport. Really surprised GLA/EDI flights no longer profitable
Old Jun 10, 2022, 2:58 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Flying Blue Platinum; Hilton Gold, IHG Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Wyndham Diamond
Originally Posted by abraxias
Loving the total omission of BHX there. Can’t blame you.
Not a BA location! To come to the defence of my home airport, it's not perfect, but it's better than having to deal with the Ringway security Stasi!
Old Jun 10, 2022, 3:46 am

Programs: BA Gold, HH Gold
Originally Posted by Mordac
Not a BA location! To come to the defence of my home airport, it's not perfect, but it's better than having to deal with the Ringway security Stasi!
There’s one flight a day to BHD!
skipness1E likes this.
Old Jun 10, 2022, 4:40 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Flying Blue Platinum; Hilton Gold, IHG Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Wyndham Diamond
Originally Posted by abraxias
There’s one flight a day to BHD!
Not anymore there isn't. It's been taken over by Aer Lingus Regional for a few months now.
Old Jun 10, 2022, 5:35 am
Suspended

Programs: OWE. KLM PE.
Originally Posted by PETER01
Oh, Edinburgh my home Airport you mean?

Where we are of course the actual capital city of Scotland with a significant financial sector, a Royal palace and a Royal Yacht, a Parliament, a beautiful extinct volcano, 3 significant bridges (UNESCO) all of which you can see with beautiful views along the east coast as you fly in from east to west.

in all seriousness though I only use EDI and LHR, occasionally in the past LGW and BRS so I can't really say much on this particular subject.
Until you step outside into the sea of chewing gum and cigarette butts all over the floor linked to that rancid smell of tobacco and wet dogs.
Sealink likes this.
Old Jun 11, 2022, 3:10 am

Programs: BA Gold, Priority Club Gold, Accor Silver, Virgin Australia Gold
Originally Posted by scottishpoet
of course GLA is the best airport in the UK
🤣🤣🤣 Having a laugh ....it's gone rapidly down hill in every way. Poorly managed, poor flight offering and frankly was probably busier in the late 80s!!
Old Jun 11, 2022, 3:40 am

Programs: BA Silver

GLA lounge very quiet this morning
JTXC, DaveS and Radiation Station like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.