Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Jun 3 22 : BA launches service to Portland, Oregon PDX

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Jun 3 22 : BA launches service to Portland, Oregon PDX

Search this Thread

Old Jun 3, 2022, 5:14 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Flying Blue Gold, TK M&S Nobody
Originally Posted by WestCoastPDX
The GOOD news on this flight, is its timing.
I did the PDX-AMS flights 20+ times, and departing at 140pm, arriving AMS at 750am... just disliked that a lot.
All of KLM's one-a-day destinations all seem to have brutal timings for the return leg, BA's scheduling decisions definitely seem to be more friendly.
Old Jun 3, 2022, 5:45 am
Suspended

Programs: DL DM, AA EXP, Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by PDXPremier
I'm PDX-based and typically use AS or AA miles for overseas travel so despite plenty of saver award availability on the new BA PDX-LHR flight, I'm still opting for AA metal to LHR (PDX-DFW-LHR) due to the significantly lower taxes/fees.....I think I got PDX-DFW-LHR-ATH (with LHR-ATH on BA) for around $20 in taxes (total) vs. BA direct from PDX which would have been well over $200.
There’s plenty of saver award availability on the new BA PDX-LHR because there’s little demand for it. BA is flying their smallest widebody on the route and they can barely fill it. Look on ExpertFlyer for the inaugural today - CW has a 68% load factor. Coach is barely at 50%! Sunday’s flight is even worse - CW is currently booked at 48% LF. Coach is even worse!

There’s a reason DL didn’t jump back into the PDX-LHR market. Once the subsidy is over BA will be gone from PDX.
Old Jun 3, 2022, 7:54 am
Original Poster

Programs: MVPGold 75K
Originally Posted by LikeaGVI
There’s plenty of saver award availability on the new BA PDX-LHR because there’s little demand for it. BA is flying their smallest widebody on the route and they can barely fill it. Look on ExpertFlyer for the inaugural today - CW has a 68% load factor. Coach is barely at 50%! Sunday’s flight is even worse - CW is currently booked at 48% LF. Coach is even worse!

There’s a reason DL didn’t jump back into the PDX-LHR market. Once the subsidy is over BA will be gone from PDX.
No one is selecting seats in cw unless emerald as u have to pay for them. So just looking the seat map is not telling u much. Also there is no award availability in business class until January, so I am not sure where is your statistics coming from. Also, flights are not cheap as they are priced like other western coast gateways indicating that sales can't be that horrible.
Old Jun 3, 2022, 8:24 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Flying Blue Gold, TK M&S Nobody
Originally Posted by felicidad76
No one is selecting seats in cw unless emerald as u have to pay for them. So just looking the seat map is not telling u much. Also there is no award availability in business class until January, so I am not sure where is your statistics coming from. Also, flights are not cheap as they are priced like other western coast gateways indicating that sales can't be that horrible.
TBF, by this stage any status holder can select seats and even non-status holders can by checking in online I believe. However the point remains that seat maps are poor predictors of load factor as many still opt to check in at the airport.
Old Jun 3, 2022, 11:58 am
Suspended

You do not have to look at the seat map to gauge capacity. If you have an ExpertFlyer subscription just look at the 'flight availability' tab and put in Sundays flights. Just about every inventory bucket is 9 (which is the highest it'll show even when there's 15, 16+ seats).
Old Jun 3, 2022, 12:05 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Tanaka07
These markets already have too much capacity and competition as is. PDX and the entire Pacific NW as a whole continue to grow population wise and with buying power thanks to cash strapped Californians flooding in and higher than average wages continuing to increase. And over the past few years before COVID the market to EU/UK (from both PDX and SEA) have grown significantly. It makes sense to expand to PDX now as there was no longer a nonstop to the UK. BA will be the only flight on PDX-LHR. PDX is also a Oneworld Hub now through AS, so this add makes sense. DL and BA initially were to operate side by side PDX-LHR. DL did not resume PDX-LHR post covid and left the market to BA as the sole operator.
Those markets have that level capacity and competition because the demand from those markets warrant it.

Regarding PDX and the Pacific NW growing in population......well that's just false:

Seattle - https://www.seattletimes.com/seattle...-growth-in-wa/

Portland - https://www.wweek.com/news/city/2022...-major-cities/

People can't get out of those cities fast enough.
Old Jun 3, 2022, 7:23 pm

Programs: BA Silver, Icelandair, IHG Diamond Elite Ambassador, Hertz 5*
PDX welcomed G-ZBJA to Portland - PDX this afternoon. No water cannon, but still a warm welcome. Excited to have British Airways start this new service.

Old Jun 3, 2022, 9:08 pm

Programs: DL Platinum & MM, Marriott Bonvoy Gold
it generally is. But airport is going through multi year total reconstruction so international gates d are now not connected to Alaska b and c.
I haven't tried at PDX, but at other US airports (e.g. LAX) a same-day boarding pass gets you through any TSA checkpoint. So one ought to be able to go through B&C security to use the AS lounge, then go back to check-in and clear TSA again for D&E.

Having said that, it's not worth the hassle for the AS lounge. I don't see the D&E lounges (DL and UA) wanting an agreement with BA. Best option for this flight is to walk to the end of the E concourse to Juliett, a new cocktail bar with great drinks and views. From there allow about a 10-15 min walk to reach the end of the D gates where BA is likely to depart from.
Old Jun 10, 2022, 8:05 am
Original Poster

Programs: MVPGold 75K
Today's BA 267 is operated by 789 vs 788. Are loads higher
Old Jun 10, 2022, 9:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
BA will often sub the B788 with a B789 if they are short of aircraft, the -9 is premium seat heavy but only has 12 seats more. if the flight is busy there will be some upgrades.
Old Jul 12, 2022, 6:23 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, Hyatt Platinum, Hilton Silver, Hertz Five Star
Originally Posted by LikeaGVI
Those markets have that level capacity and competition because the demand from those markets warrant it.

Regarding PDX and the Pacific NW growing in population......well that's just false:

Seattle - https://www.seattletimes.com/seattle...-growth-in-wa/

Portland - https://www.wweek.com/news/city/2022...-major-cities/

People can't get out of those cities fast enough.
lol

way to cherry pick. Portland lost .02% of its population when many similar cities are losing 5% and more due to Covid and remote work. It will bounce back very quickly.
Old Jul 15, 2022, 6:23 pm

What would be their arrangement for lounge access. Alaska is physically separated
I am currently sitting in the United Airlines Lounge waiting on BA 0266 it is lovely with nice staff. However, the food selection is terrible. There is no liquor service at the bar and you have to pay for premium beers. Not what you would expect for a business class customer.
Old Jul 15, 2022, 6:34 pm

Thanks for the update on the lounge situation; I was wondering where this would end up. Is the lounge crowded? How about the wine and “champagne” choices?
Old Jul 18, 2022, 11:56 pm

Programs: AS, HA, JL, UA
Route upgrading to 787-10 2x/week from Oct 30

Route appears to be upgauging from Oct 30. 787-10 operating on Fridays and Sundays. 788 operating Monday and Wednesday. Appears like this throughout the winter schedule. Whats the reason for the upgauge? Are forward looking loads looking good? Strong cargo demand?
Old Jul 19, 2022, 11:20 am

Looking forward to flying on BA266 at the end of July in Premium Economy which will be on a 787-8 and also on BA266 in J in December. Thanks Tanaka07, yes, the December flight out is indeed on a 787-10 (Expert Flyer and BA.com) with the ‘new’ Club Suites; unfortunately, back on Wednesday 4th January on a 787-8 with the older Club 2-3-2 J Cabin. Incidentally, our ex-PDX redemption flight on December 20th was cancelled and we managed to re-book on the Dec 18th flight which had no availability when we first tried to book. I suppose a somewhat silver-lining to a cancellation -

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.