Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Heathrow over the Jubilee Bank Holidays 31 May - 6 June 2022

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Heathrow over the Jubilee Bank Holidays 31 May - 6 June 2022

Search this Thread

Old Jun 1, 2022, 7:22 am

For those using T3 this afternoon;

Two terminals, neither alike in dignity, the forecourt outside T3 is where we lay our scene, from ancient covid staff reductions to faster than expected recovery leads new mutiny, where civil strife makes queuing for 60-90 minutes seem unclean.

From forth the fatal consequences of inadequate planning, Enter Zone A and process along to Zone G prior to taking your life from the enormity of it all at the escalators up to the mall.

Those passengers whose misadventured piteous laments, doth be silenced by Grant Shapps washing his hands clean of it all.
And the continuance of their passengers rage, which but with their travel plans end, nought could remove, is now the traffic of one and a half to two hours of that fabled and much maligned stage.

The which to you with patient ear/Twitter/flyertalk account attend
what here shall miss, our toil shall
strive to mend.

Good luck to you all, it is a bit of a tragedy this afternoon.

Last edited by Sigwx; Jun 1, 2022 at 7:30 am
Old Jun 1, 2022, 7:45 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by Sigwx
Those passengers whose misadventured piteous laments, doth be silenced by Grant Shapps washing his hands clean of it all.
As much as I hate to defend this government, the absolute misery that is being heaped upon tens of thousands of passengers at the moment is entirely the fault of the airlines and airports, who assured us just months ago that they were ready for travel to resume.

The tragedy is that many of those passengers won't be aware of their rights and will lack the knowledge and confidence to fight for the compensation to which they are entitled.
mnhusker, xarantine and MatJarosz like this.
Old Jun 1, 2022, 7:53 am

Programs: AAdvantage, SkyMiles
Originally Posted by Sigwx;[url=tel:34297465
34297465[/url]]I think Friday afternoon will be less busy than Saturday. We are all evacuating the UK from last weekend through to today. By tomorrow it’s too late for the rest of us, we will be drowned in tea, cake and street parties.
lord I love the British and miss you guys.

silly sentimental American. Please ignore.
Old Jun 1, 2022, 8:10 am

Programs: BA GGL
Well, that was a mess. Doing a turnaround from LHR T3 (for which there were check-in issues I will post separately) and the security queue started at the back of the terminal. Got to fast track split after around 45 minutes and through in an hour. People generally good natured (helped by staff calling out people from the line with closing flights) but such a shambles. I did enjoy the American woman in the queue directing queue jumpers to the back.

Does seem an ideal strategy would be to chill somewhere, join queue at 45-60 minutes before departure and wait for flight to be called!
James91 likes this.
Old Jun 1, 2022, 8:16 am

Programs: BA GGL / GfL
Currently in CCR and T5 is very calm at the check-in area. A few large groups ahead of us at the FW meant a few minutes wait, but all handled efficiently. First Wing security still only has 1 lane open and a queue, so we went back to South Security fast track which is empty and came through the millionaires door in about 2mins.

Pilot37
aks120, wrp96, TedToToe and 1 others like this.
Old Jun 1, 2022, 8:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Cannot wait to go through T3 later. At least there is the QF lounge as consolation.
wrp96 and Geordie405 like this.
Old Jun 1, 2022, 8:26 am

Programs: BAEC GGL
Originally Posted by Pilot37
Currently in CCR and T5 is very calm at the check-in area. A few large groups ahead of us at the FW meant a few minutes wait, but all handled efficiently. First Wing security still only has 1 lane open and a queue, so we went back to South Security fast track which is empty and came through the millionaires door in about 2mins.

Pilot37
Much Jubilee themed going on in the CCR apart from the cocktails?
Old Jun 1, 2022, 8:34 am

Programs: BA GGL / GfL
Originally Posted by revorgap
Much Jubilee themed going on in the CCR apart from the cocktails?
Nothing that stands out to my untrained eye I’m afraid!

Pilot37
Old Jun 1, 2022, 8:36 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club
Original Poster

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by IC125
Thank you. I'll double check the times, but I don't think I'll be getting to the airport until 10ish, so it may well have to be in the morning.
Welcome to Flyertalk and the BA forum.

I think 2 hours is fine, bearing in mind it's T5 not T3, and bearing in mind that 1 hour would probably still work (though with checked baggage, tomorrow isn't the day to experiment with this). They won't let you in until 05:00 anyway, though unofficially they may be open half an hour earlier. There are several paradoxes here: because of all the headlines , people turn up early for flights, then go through check-in and security much earlier than necessary, when the staffing is determined for the flights that take off in the next 2 hours. So particularly in the morning it's utterly self-destructive and ideally airports under stress would keep people away until 2 hours beforehand. However if they did that then they are on the hook for anyone who misses their flights. For an individual traveller they aren't really interested if 2,000 extra people show up, they are only worried about their own travel plans, which would on the face of it be best secured by turning up early.

However T5 is mainly BA, it culled loads of flights weeks ago (they will be thanking their lucky stars on that one) and so the dynamics of other airlines and their problems doesn't greatly wash over the terminal like it seems to be doing in T3 and perhaps LGW. This accepts that IB, AA, QR run a few services out of T5.

But in your case, I would still go for 2 hours, and follow the advice in post 1 if you haven't got to security around an hour to departure, as a Plan B.
Radiation Station and IC125 like this.
Old Jun 1, 2022, 9:29 am

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by Never Stansted
Fast track took about 25 minutes (though would have been longer if I’d followed BA’s advice to join the back of the economy queue and only filter to fast track when I got upstairs - HAL were actually running a fast track lift which the HAL people told you about if you asked).
Originally Posted by Irish lad
Got to fast track split after around 45 minutes and through in an hour.
Can I ask then, is there a way to avoid the non-fast track queue and join the fast track queue directly without waiting for the split? Take a lift, if so is there one in particular to go for? Or boldly just walk around the non-fast track queue up the stairs?

As a non-regular flyer who hasn't been in T3 for years I'm unsure of the layout. Looking at the terminal map should I aim for the left hand stairs which appear to come out adjacent to fast track?

Our flight is at 10:10 tomorrow so expecting it to be busy.

Thanks.
Old Jun 1, 2022, 10:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

There is a set of physical stairs opposite E which will take you directly up to Fastrack. The lift operates only when things aren’t too bad.

Currently small queue for Fastrack but quite chunky for the cheap seats.
Schwann and Radiation Station like this.
Old Jun 1, 2022, 10:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

20mins from F check in to QF lounge. Pretty much as used to be in the evening T3 rush.
Old Jun 1, 2022, 12:22 pm

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Swanhunter
There is a set of physical stairs opposite E which will take you directly up to Fastrack. The lift operates only when things aren’t too bad.

Currently small queue for Fastrack but quite chunky for the cheap seats.
My OH is flying through tomorrow and should have access to fast track.. does the route up the stairs feed into the queue for fast track or is it like a "secret entrance" right into the fast track itself?
Old Jun 1, 2022, 12:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Schwann
My OH is flying through tomorrow and should have access to fast track.. does the route up the stairs feed into the queue for fast track or is it like a "secret entrance" right into the fast track itself?
It brings up to the main corridor where you access Fasttrack. From there, there should be some LHR people directing traffic. Good luck to your OH!
Schwann and Radiation Station like this.
Old Jun 1, 2022, 12:32 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold
The Guardian has a photograph of what it says is the queue for security at Heathrow on Wednesday 1 June.

‘A nightmare from start to finish’: the victims of the UK’s airport chaos | Travel & leisure | The Guardian

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.