Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BA Prepaid Mastercard

Search this Thread

Old Jul 24, 2022, 6:01 am

Programs: BA Gold (and many other greater and lesser distinctions)
Presumably no Avios on cash w/drawals?

Would they count to hit the initial spend target for the bonus Avios (I assume not) ?
Old Jul 24, 2022, 10:40 am

Programs: BAEC (Gold) , Accor (Gold) , IHG
Originally Posted by Frequentflyer99
Presumably no Avios on cash w/drawals?

Would they count to hit the initial spend target for the bonus Avios (I assume not) ?
Old Jul 26, 2022, 1:07 pm

Programs: BAEC GGL/CR; Hilton Diamond; Mucci des Puccis
Interestingly, the card seems to be leaking money. My usage pattern is to load what I need when I need it, but on two occasions I've loaded a little bit more.

In both these cases, the outstanding balance disappeared. £17.58 and £5 respectively. I didn't notice the first, but I did the second, so went back and totalled up money paid in and money paid out. I am not due to pay fees, the cash just disappeared.

Going to call them tomorrow, but I see no reason for this to happen at all. Might be worth checking.
Old Jul 26, 2022, 1:17 pm

Programs: BA Gold & HH Silver
Originally Posted by Greenpen
When they eventually allow me to top it up more than 1p.
Also having this issue, is it a phone call to resolve?
Old Jul 26, 2022, 3:41 pm

Originally Posted by BLHD
Also having this issue, is it a phone call to resolve?
Today the app allowed me to top up £500 so I think there is a delay that blocks instantaneous updating of functions. I got the PIN from the telephone line having again failed with the Message function. Used card with PIN successfully and then touch and go. Avios crediting. App failed, but then worked after I deleted it from telephone and reinstalled.

Will ditch once £500 spent.
Old Jul 27, 2022, 6:04 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, IHG Diamond
Used mine today for the first time.

Went to the app, clicked on "Mastercard" and "activate", and was sent a pin. Added a debit card and put £10 on the card successfully.
Tried it in Sainsbury and contactless didn't work (probably due to it being used for the first time?).
Accepted with chip & pin without an issue.
Old Jul 27, 2022, 10:57 am

Programs: BAEC GGL
Originally Posted by bisonrav
Interestingly, the card seems to be leaking money. My usage pattern is to load what I need when I need it, but on two occasions I've loaded a little bit more.

In both these cases, the outstanding balance disappeared. £17.58 and £5 respectively. I didn't notice the first, but I did the second, so went back and totalled up money paid in and money paid out. I am not due to pay fees, the cash just disappeared.

Going to call them tomorrow, but I see no reason for this to happen at all. Might be worth checking.
I've noticed this happen to me today. Did you get an answer from them?
Old Jul 27, 2022, 11:01 am

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by xenole
Used mine today for the first time.

Went to the app, clicked on "Mastercard" and "activate", and was sent a pin. Added a debit card and put £10 on the card successfully.
Tried it in Sainsbury and contactless didn't work (probably due to it being used for the first time?).
Accepted with chip & pin without an issue.
It's pretty normal for chip and pin to be required for a first transaction on a new card, unless it's a contactless only terminal (eg. bus/mass transit gate). Card issuers will randomly require chip and pin on some transactions from time to time in the future, but there's no hard and fast rules in this area.
stifle likes this.
Old Jul 27, 2022, 11:31 am

Originally Posted by IJG2
I called this morning but they were unable to access my account for some reason, and I didn't get a chance to call back.
Old Jul 27, 2022, 3:08 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, IHG Diamond
Can this be used for, say, car tax? Mine is due in the next few days, so earning a handful of Avios would be better than nothing.
Old Jul 27, 2022, 3:44 pm

Originally Posted by bisonrav

Originally Posted by IJG2
Did you guys by any chance spend on "cash like" transactions such as paying off Amex or a finance company? Apparently they are charging 2% on these transactions and not informing customers of the fee - despite no such charge being set out in the T&C's which is pretty outrageous for a regulated firm.
Old Jul 27, 2022, 3:53 pm

Originally Posted by londinense
I have been using this prepaid card to pay off my Avios American Express card. This gives me 50% more Avios without any effort. Note that there is a £2600 maximum spend per calendar month. So far, I am still within the six month free usage. I’m wondering what the T&Cs are if I cancel the card after six months and then reapply. I’d assume that this new application would not gain any bonus Avios, but have no idea if there’s a wait time before it’s possible to reapply or if there’s still six months for free . Does anyone have any thoughts or answers on this? Thanks.
You might want to tally up your transactions to see if they've been silently charging you a 2% fee for paying off Amex. Nowhere in the transaction list of the app shows this fee and the only way to see it is to add up all your deposits, take away the payments and check against the balance.
bisonrav likes this.
Old Jul 27, 2022, 4:14 pm

This is (ahem) possible. Seems to happen if there is money still in the account after a payment has been made. Otherwise no charge,
Old Jul 28, 2022, 12:06 pm

Programs: BAEC GGL
Originally Posted by PeeTee
You might want to tally up your transactions to see if they've been silently charging you a 2% fee for paying off Amex. Nowhere in the transaction list of the app shows this fee and the only way to see it is to add up all your deposits, take away the payments and check against the balance.
That's exactly what I did. I paid £474.51 to amex, leaving me with a GBP balance of zero. They "swept" the $5.51 I had in USD back to GBP as £4.58 which hasn't appeared in my GBP balance.
Old Jul 28, 2022, 10:29 pm

Programs: BA Gold (and many other greater and lesser distinctions)
How easy is it to cancel the card after earning the bonus?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.