Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BA 286 SFO LHR A380 Diverted

Search this Thread

Old May 27, 2022, 3:48 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by Tobias-UK
Whilst I agree with your sentiments, defective heating in the hold is not an extraordinary circumstance and this could very well expose BA to EC261 liability.
I'm not sure everyone necessarily reads your words as stated, though they are clear enough. There clearly is an argument that this was due to something mechanical and inherent in the running an aircraft, so someone making that claim has a plausible and potentially strong claim. However there is also another line of argument that the loss of temperature has no bearing on the passengers or rest of the cargo, and it's possible the dogs would have survived an extended period of very cold temperatures. The extraordinary bit was having to divert - at huge cost to the airline regardless of EC261 - out of concern for the animal's welfare. That aspect that needed to be checked was extraordinary, it's not something that I recall happening before quite like this, and it was difficult to avoid a diversion in order to do this. I don't think this is as strong an argument as the opening gambit, but a judge would have to rule on that, rather than this armchair non-lawyer. After all if faulty air-conditioning was a factor in someone having an cardiac crisis, and thus a medical offload of a passenger, then BA would have a similar extraordinary circumstances argument too.
Old May 27, 2022, 3:55 am

Programs: BAEC
This is all getting very emotional! As a dog lover I applaud the captain’s decision. If there was any doubt the animals would survive then they needed to be landed ASAP.
That’s completely different to whether the root cause was an extraordinary circumstance or not. If other passengers were inconvenienced / missed connections / etc then if it’s within scope for compensation they should have it. It doesn’t mean that those passengers callously wanted the dogs left to fry or freeze. Two entirely different issues.
Old May 27, 2022, 4:13 am

Programs: A3*G,BA Silver
Originally Posted by AJA_
Because you replied to me earlier by saying:

"Each to their own. I wouldn’t give BA or any other big airline/company a break when I can get some of my money back. Will BA give me a break if I arrived 10 minutes late after the check in closed or something similar?"

This says to me you wouldn't give BA a break if you were a passenger on the affected flight.

You've even reiterated in your latest reply that you believe passengers have a right to claim for the delay. Only now you concede the airline did the right thing regarding the welfare of the dogs.

I would say BA did not fail in their responsibility for the welfare of the dogs. In fact they did exactly the right thing. They also did not fail to get the passengers to LHR. I would much rather be delayed a few hours and not let the dogs die.
But I never said that BA did the wrong thing. What I am saying is that if it’s BA’s fault that the temperature became too hot/cold then of course I will claim for a compensation according to law. Of course BA did not fail go get the passengers to LHR but that’s not the point. As I said if the diversion was due to BA’s fault and the flight was delayed for many hours then passengers have the right to be compensated.
Old May 27, 2022, 4:21 am

Originally Posted by PUCCI GALORE
Dearest. Why is it that BA do not allow the poor animals in the cabin with the owner? When I fly Iberia, mine comes with me in his basket. It may well be tha one person had two animals, or that they were more than 6kg with the basket.

I think that this is government imposed? This is precisely why no animal of mine is going in the hold. No, not even Him Indoors

Pucci Galore/ Dog owner and Lover.
I quite agree. If I need to transport my big Labrador to our house in Thailand I will charter a Gulfstream, or he can stay here.
PUCCI GALORE likes this.
Old May 27, 2022, 4:22 am

Originally Posted by richiejv
https://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.flyertalk.com-vbulletin/435x250/a6e3d792_59ce_43e6_a3cc_defb514bcb6c_36ebace606c48 74b791adbc3641c1cb068896742.gif

Glad to see no need for this…

(apologies etc)
I was just about to post this.
I know the whole series is a bit non-PC now, but it IS very well observed, in terms of characters and, as we see here, situations that actually happen (or thank goodness didn't happen).

I do wonder why they didn't diver to somewhere in Canada rather than fly south to Chicago. Pax were not going to be deplaned. Are there no A380-suitable fields further north?

Last edited by Prospero; May 29, 2022 at 7:39 am Reason: convert animated gif to link, per FT rules
Old May 27, 2022, 4:28 am

Originally Posted by Ladyfliestheredwhiteandblues
That’s completely different to whether the root cause was an extraordinary circumstance or not. If other passengers were inconvenienced / missed connections / etc then if it’s within scope for compensation they should have it. It doesn’t mean that those passengers callously wanted the dogs left to fry or freeze. Two entirely different issues.
Exactly my thought. I am not sure why people can’t understand the difference. If someone is entitled to compensation they should get it. Also BA still uses the Covid excuse to deny legitimate compensation and during Covid most of the airlines made it nearly impossible to get your money back with issueing Monopoly money (vouchers) instead of refunds. I don’t see any reason to give BA or any other airline a break…
ScienceTeacher likes this.
Old May 27, 2022, 4:54 am

Programs: BAEC Bronze, Mucci recipient
Originally Posted by ermis177
Exactly my thought. I am not sure why people can’t understand the difference. If someone is entitled to compensation they should get it. Also BA still uses the Covid excuse to deny legitimate compensation and during Covid most of the airlines made it nearly impossible to get your money back with issueing Monopoly money (vouchers) instead of refunds. I don’t see any reason to give BA or any other airline a break…
You are entitled to your view however i see this as an extraordinary circumstance, the diversion was done because of the concern for the welfare of the animals on board, that's what caused the delay. It was not the aircraft cargo hold temperature fault in itself. If there were no animals in the hold i doubt the flight would have been diverted. How many flights have been delayed in similar circumstances.? I've never heard of this happening before.

Plus If everyone claims for compensation because the aircraft was delayed due to concern for the animals then in future the pilot may well take the decision not to divert. That doesn't bear thinking about.
Old May 27, 2022, 5:10 am

You are entitled to your view however i see this as an extraordinary circumstance, the diversion was done because of the concern for the welfare of the animals on board, that's what caused the delay. It was not the aircraft cargo hold temperature fault in itself.

Plus If everyone claims for compensation because the aircraft was delayed due to concern for the animals then in future the pilot may well take the decision not to divert. That doesn't bear thinking about.
I am sorry but I feel we are reading different threads. One of the passengers told us that the pilot informed them regarding the issue with the temperature. The temperature issue then caused the welfare issue. Once again the compensation entitlement has nothing to do with the welfare of the dogs. I am not sure why you keep mixing the 2 issues.
Old May 27, 2022, 5:28 am

Programs: AC MM E50 , Former SPG, now Marriott LT Plat
[QUOTE=GBOAC;34284393
I do wonder why they didn't diver to somewhere in Canada rather than fly south to Chicago. Pax were not going to be deplaned. Are there no A380-suitable fields further north?[/QUOTE]

I originally thought the same when the cause for diversion was unknown, but since learning animals were involved I presume
there are differing animal quarantine regulations that would make it more difficult to off-load the dogs in a foreign country.
Old May 27, 2022, 5:32 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Honors Diamond
Unlike the radio comedy Cabin Pressure from what I have read from BA pilots on twitter it seems that things like compensation don't even come into their decision making when choosing whether to divert.
Old May 27, 2022, 5:32 am

Programs: BAEC Bronze, Mucci recipient
I am sorry but I feel we are reading different threads. One of the passengers told us that the pilot informed them regarding the issue with the temperature. <b>The temperature issue then caused the welfare issue</b>. Once again the compensation entitlement has nothing to do with the welfare of the dogs. I am not sure why you keep mixing the 2 issues.
This is my last reply to you on this issue. You see this differently to me. That's fine. I explained why I see this differently to you and I explain again.:

You selectively quote my reply ignoring entirely the question I posed about whether the aircraft would have been diverted if there were no animals in the hold while there was a temperature fault. I doubt the plane would have diverted if there was simply a temperature fault in the cargo hold. The two issues were as a result connected, as you concede - the temperature fault led the captain to have concerns for the welfare of the dogs in the hold. That concern led the captain to divert, not the cargo temperature fault. I see the resultant diversion as extraordinary.
Old May 27, 2022, 5:47 am

Programs: UA *G, BA Silver
Originally Posted by rjburns
BA has no problem checking my vaccination status before I enter the cabin. Surely they can check the dogs paperwork? I’d be happy to buy an extra seat so my pooch can snooze on the floor.
This isn't a BA issue - the UK doesn't allow pets to arrive in the cabin – non assistance animals are required to travel as live cargo.

Having brought our dog with us when we moved from the USA to the UK (not going on vacation) we were very glad to have her as cargo on the same flight as us and she met us at the Heathrow Animal Arrivals Facility as happy as could be. She had clearly been spoilt by the cargo crew in SFO and by the Heathrow crew as well.
DaveS likes this.
Old May 27, 2022, 7:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA
Originally Posted by GBOAC
I do wonder why they didn't diver to somewhere in Canada rather than fly south to Chicago. Pax were not going to be deplaned. Are there no A380-suitable fields further north?
Originally Posted by IluvSQ
I originally thought the same when the cause for diversion was unknown, but since learning animals were involved I presume
there are differing animal quarantine regulations that would make it more difficult to off-load the dogs in a foreign country.
Not just that, but if things had been extended during the divert, there's also the issue of offloading passengers in a country you know they are eligible to be in (the US) vs a country where you don't know their status (Canada). Also more support and more alternatives at ORD from both BA and AA. If this had been an immediate emergency, I'm sure they would've diverted to the nearest airfield. But in this case, choosing one like ORD was a good choice.
neuromancerLKLB likes this.
Old May 27, 2022, 7:39 am
Fontaine d'honneur du Flyertalk

Programs: Reine des Muccis de Pucci; Foreign Elitist (according to others)
Originally Posted by flatlander
The reason the UK doesn't allow animals in the cabin into the UK, except assistance dogs, is so that they're sure to be checked for rabies vaccination and diverted to quarantine if they don't have it.
However Le Shuttle manage it perfectly well in both directions

BA's policy may have something to do with passenger comfort and general order in the cabin.
If they stick to the two 6kg rule inc basket as per Iberia etc, and the animal stays there - as the rule states I don’t see a problem. I think that I have seen more disorder from humans than animals on or off an aircraft.

It is a licence to print money. It costs me 60€ for what ends up as a bag on the floor. People should not see or hear the animal as I could quite understand people being vexed if they did. I know that it’s government driven but like the quarantine rules of old; it is somewhat outdated. Still this is all in the realms of fantasy; I doubt that this will change.
babyg_wc and MatJarosz like this.
Old May 27, 2022, 9:25 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Each to their own. I wouldn’t give BA or any other big airline/company a break when I can get some of my money back. Will BA give me a break if I arrived 10 minutes late after the check in closed or something similar? I doubt.
Indeed. I bet there were people on that flight that were connecting on different PNRs. When they turned up to the ticket desks trying to change their ticket, would BA (to whoever) say “Of course, which flight would you like?”. No, they’d say “Tough Titties - your own fault for booking separate tickets”.
SW7London, ermis177 and jonr405 like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.