Wiki Posts
Search

Buying prepaid SIM Card for US at LHR

Search this Thread

Old May 21, 2022, 7:14 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold, LH Senator
Buying prepaid SIM Card for US at LHR

I just realised that I left my prepaid SIM card for the US at home. Is ist possible to buy one (or a British one that works in the US) at LHR? I‘m staying there tonight and travel to the US tomorrow, so airside or landside would be ok for me.
Old May 21, 2022, 7:48 am

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Are you sure you do not have a phone that takes e-sims? Downloading one from an app like Airalo is much easier, and you can set it up that data goes through that sim, while still having your main number active to receive calls if needed.
MaxFlyer, zen100, cauchy and 4 others like this.
Old May 21, 2022, 7:48 am

Programs: BAEC Gold-GGL
There are some SIM card vending machines, if I remember correctly, but I tend not to pay much notice to them so can't offer much more help than that. Hopefully someone more useful will be able to tell you more!
Old May 21, 2022, 7:56 am

3 but some people say it's slow there. An esim is the way to go if you can
Old May 21, 2022, 7:58 am
Original Poster

Thank you all.

Unfortunately no ESIM possible.
Old May 21, 2022, 8:00 am

Programs: BAEC Gold-GGL
There is also the SIM Local "shop" in the arrivals hall but that might be UK centric. If you have time, it might be worth a 5 minute detour to ask?
Old May 21, 2022, 8:13 am

Programs: BA Gold, HH Gold
Originally Posted by sammyg901
3 but some people say it's slow there. An esim is the way to go if you can
I've just googled esim for travel and never realised this was a possibility. Anyone got any recommendations?
Old May 21, 2022, 9:30 am

Programs: AA ExPl, DL PM, UA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium, probably some others
Where are you going in the US? Some airports (JFK comes to mind) have SIM card machines available on arrival.
Old May 21, 2022, 10:50 am

Programs: M&S Elite+
Any UK SIM will work in the US but the cost will make you cry. I cannot believe that you will have a problem buying a local SIM at the airport in the US. Even the poorest/least developed countries in the world can manage that.
Old May 21, 2022, 10:52 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by steveholt
Where are you going in the US? Some airports (JFK comes to mind) have SIM card machines available on arrival.
Connecting at MIA to IAH. Buying a SIM at MIA would be ok, but I‘d prefer to have the SIM before IAH because we will arrive there very late.
Old May 21, 2022, 11:19 am

Programs: BA GGL, HH Diamond, IHG Diamond Amb
If you can buy and top up a 3UK sim card at LHR it should let you roam for free within your allowance as long as it’s activated first in the UK. This may not be the best option for traditional calls and texts but I tend to just use data so it works fine for me.
Old May 21, 2022, 12:24 pm
Original Poster

Just bought a 3 sim card at sim local in the arrivals hall. Valid for 30 days. No US calls but plenty of data valid in the UK and the US.

thank you all again.
LCSinTexas and ceej123 like this.
Old May 21, 2022, 1:44 pm

Originally Posted by ceej123
If you can buy and top up a 3UK sim card at LHR it should let you roam for free within your allowance as long as it’s activated first in the UK. This may not be the best option for traditional calls and texts but I tend to just use data so it works fine for me.
New joiners to 3 no longer receive free roaming. Existing customers keep it but only until they move (or are moved) onto a new contract.
Delboy65 likes this.
Old May 21, 2022, 1:49 pm

Programs: BA GGL (for now) and Lifetime Gold, Marriott fan thanks to Bonvoy Moments
Originally Posted by abraxias
I've just googled esim for travel and never realised this was a possibility. Anyone got any recommendations?
Airalo’s pretty easy via app - have used in Barbados and Tanzania in the last year.
James91 and Yoshi212 like this.
Old May 21, 2022, 1:55 pm

Programs: UA GS, AA ExP
Originally Posted by DaveS
Any UK SIM will work in the US but the cost will make you cry. I cannot believe that you will have a problem buying a local SIM at the airport in the US. Even the poorest/least developed countries in the world can manage that.
You'd think that right 😁 I haven't seen a SIM card shop at Chicago O'hare nor recall seeing the same at other big US airports.
DaveS likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.