Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Noob Questions : OneWorld Silver Lounge Access

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 20, 2022, 4:28 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Silver IHG Diamond Ambassador Hilton Diamond

Hi All,

Apologies for the newbie question; What is BA (and by extension, OneWorld's policy) for access to lounges - specifically if I am NOT flying on BA/IB or a OneWorld carrier:

e.g. I'm due to fly to South Korea in June, but on LOT (a Star Alliance) carrier, what would be the policy as a BAEC Silver for me and my plus one when trying to get into a OneWorld lounge in Warsaw (our connection) or in Seoul itself. I'm aware there are no OW lounges in LHR Terminal 2.

Additionally, I'm due to fly to Morocco for Christmas this year, but on EasyJet from LGW: Again, if I'm BAEC Silver could I use the Galleries Lounge there with me and my plus one even though we're flying on an Easyjet Flight?

And a final point; What lounges would people recommend in Seoul (ICH) Terminal 1 or in Warsaw (WAW)?
Old May 20, 2022, 4:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by Jeedos
e.g. I'm due to fly to South Korea in June, but on LOT (a Star Alliance) carrier, what would be the policy as a BAEC Silver for me and my plus one when trying to get into a OneWorld lounge in Warsaw (our connection) or in Seoul itself. I'm aware there are no OW lounges in LHR Terminal 2.

Additionally, I'm due to fly to Morocco for Christmas this year, but on EasyJet from LGW: Again, if I'm BAEC Silver could I use the Galleries Lounge there with me and my plus one even though we're flying on an Easyjet Flight?
The answer will be "no", in all cases.

More here: BA lounge access guidelines - in short, you need to be flying oneworld.
Old May 20, 2022, 4:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

A very long time ago, BAEC Gold members were admitted to BA-operated lounges when flying non-OW airlines. This was discontinued many moons ago and you are now required to fly OW to have access to lounges.

Even in those halcyon days, that privilege was not extended to Silver members.
nancypants and efincomputer like this.
Old May 20, 2022, 4:39 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Silver IHG Diamond Ambassador Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by NickB
A very long time ago, BAEC Gold members were admitted to BA-operated lounges when flying non-OW airlines. This was discontinued many moons ago and you are now required to fly OW to have access to lounges.

Even in those halcyon days, that privilege was not extended to Silver members.
What about across the wider OW Alliance - is there reports of people getting lucky or are lounges fairly tight on accessing lounges?
Old May 20, 2022, 4:48 am

Programs: BA Gold
I can’t ever remember getting in a lounge without a BP. If that’s not a OW alliance BP then forget.

Why would you expect lounge access from an airline you’re not flying? Are there any airlines that allow status holders lounge access on flights from other airlines?
Old May 20, 2022, 4:48 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
I think lounges whether airline run or third party are usually fairly strict on applying the rules, so basically there is no chance of access in the scenarios you mentioned.
Old May 20, 2022, 4:50 am

Programs: Mucci de Guardian des Celliers des Grands Crus 1e Classé, plus BAEC.
Originally Posted by Jeedos
What about across the wider OW Alliance - is there reports of people getting lucky or are lounges fairly tight on accessing lounges?
They’ll look at or scan your boarding pass and see that you’re not on an eligible flight. I wouldn’t bother trying. This isn’t a grey area, it’s v clearly not permitted.

EDIT: If you fly to South Korea in business class then lack of Star Alliance status doesn’t matter.
Old May 20, 2022, 4:51 am

It's highly unlikely, to the extent that it's not worth trying. That said, I suppose you've got nothing to lose (except a smidgen of pride).

Where it would perhaps be more likely is where there is already some non-alliance access involved, e.g. Aer Lingus (has access on London routes anyway), or CX/NZ codeshares, that could confuse a lounge agent into letting you in where not supposed to.

In LGW, your chance is absolutely zero if you're talking about a North terminal departure and the BA lounge in South terminal!
nancypants likes this.
Old May 20, 2022, 4:54 am

Programs: BA Gold, AirAstana Silver (much use as chocolate teapot)
Find a way to get a Dragon or Priority Pass. Most banks offer them for "free" with certain accounts.
efincomputer likes this.
Old May 20, 2022, 4:58 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by DorsetKnob
Find a way to get a Dragon or Priority Pass. Most banks offer them for "free" with certain accounts.
At least then you’re turned away for capacity issues rather than a non-qualifying flight 😏
Old May 20, 2022, 5:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by dougzz
Why would you expect lounge access from an airline you’re not flying? Are there any airlines that allow status holders lounge access on flights from other airlines?
Believe or not, this was not regarded as so outlandish in the distant past and there were major discussions on this board when BA discontinued for GCHs. Can't remember exactly but this must have been some 15 years ago. These days, however, are long gone and there is not a hope in hell of entering a OW lounge if not flying OW. Among non-OW airlines, t would seem that ITA does give access to its own lounges regardless of airline flown to its super-duper GGL-for-life equivalent but they are an outlier.
dougzz likes this.
Old May 20, 2022, 5:08 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Believe or not, this was not regarded as so outlandish in the distant past and there were major discussions on this board when BA discontinued for GCHs. Can't remember exactly but this must have been some 15 years ago.
20 May 2011 to be precise. The BA lounge in NCL had leaflets out about this event - to sway off the maddened hoardes - until its pandemic led closure in 2021.
ThatT1Feeling and NickB like this.
Old May 20, 2022, 5:11 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

I remember that thread.

new lounge rules for gold? [End of Open Doors for Golds]
Old May 20, 2022, 5:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Believe or not, this was not regarded as so outlandish in the distant past and there were major discussions on this board when BA discontinued for GCHs. Can't remember exactly but this must have been some 15 years ago. These days, however, are long gone and there is not a hope in hell of entering a OW lounge if not flying OW.
Sadly, panflation has done for this, particularly that stoked by alliances. Once upon a time, BA Gold really meant something, and BA was prepared to be pretty generous to Golds. But now it's so easy to get Gold - if even I can be a BA Gold, that shows how much it's been devalued! - and it's inevitable that this has to be followed by deep cuts to what airlines can offer to higher-tier members.

There has been one outlier within the BA universe: the ZA domestic SLOW lounges. But even that benefit has now reportedly been removed. And it wouldn't have helped the OP anyway.
Old May 20, 2022, 6:48 am

Programs: BA Gold, AirAstana Silver (much use as chocolate teapot)
At least then you’re turned away for capacity issues rather than a non-qualifying flight 😏
Fair comment! The joys of COVID travel, the AMS lounges to oneself as opposed to being turned away because they were full!
jokerjokerj likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.