Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

BA LGW - DOH Recent experiences and Covid entry

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 19, 2022, 7:51 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold member Marriott Platinum

Hi

We are looking to travel to Doha for a vacation the end of the May from LGW to DOH, seems good in that now the daily flight has moved to LGW it actually doesn't get cancelled. Anyone have recent experience of this flight on BA? It looks like its an old 777 so not getting my hopes up
Also im very confused by the Qatar entry requirements and process.
First in that you are asked to submit proof of vaccine, test and travel details 72 hours before you plan to arrive here https://ehteraz.gov.qa/PER/ but then need a PCR test 48 hours before to avoid an antigen test on arrival. Anyone know how this works?
Also we have 2 unvaccinated kids 8 & 11. I read they need a PCR test also and its mentioned they are treated same as the parents but then it says anti gen testing is done at port of entry for them.
Any feedback at all would be much appreciated.
Old May 19, 2022, 8:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
Which cabin are you looking at ? The LGW 777s had a decent refurbishment not so long ago, so whilst old, they're new inside! I like their small 32 seat Club cabin, feels cosy, good lighting and excellent IFE. The rest of the aircraft will have newish seats and decent IFE too.
Old May 19, 2022, 8:42 am
Original Poster

Looking at Club, so yes the 32 seat. Sounds great!! WTP is 50 seats so doesn't appeal at all. Thanks for the info, appreciate it!

Don't suppose you have had any recent DOH entry experiences with the confusing Covid rules and site?
Old May 19, 2022, 9:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
Throughout much of the pandemic, GOV website has been a fairly decent source for entry requirements Entry requirements - Qatar travel advice - GOV.UK (www.gov.uk)

There's also the Coronavirus & Travel forum as well as the Middle East Forum which may have some recent experiences
Old May 19, 2022, 9:11 am

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Diamond
Any particular reason for Qatar? Nothing against it but their entry requirements are a ballache. Neighbouring requirements for Oman, UAE and Bahrain for instance seem much easier.
DaveS likes this.
Old May 19, 2022, 9:24 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
This set's it out for different categories of traveller https://covid19.moph.gov.qa/EN/trave...aspx#countries

You do need a PCR obtained no more than 48 hours before the time of departure from the country of origin. I think it is only optional if you are an EU resident/citizen. If you have done your pre arrival PCR, you don't need any post arrival test.

EDIT: actually even I am now confused because elsewhere on that page it states:

b) COVPass health app for EU nationals and EU residents shall be honored and accepted in Qatar in lieu of online registration on condition that they meet the immunity criteria and reflected in:

European Union countries ​European pass app ​
United Kingdom ​NHS COVID Pass

Travelers who are fully immunized​ and hold any of the above health apps shall be exempted from online registration and are required to proceed to any authorized private clinics for Rapid Antigen Test within 24hours of their arrival in Qatar. Pre-travel RT-PCR test is required for immune and non-immune travelers coming from the countries under Red Health Measures. Meanwhile, non-immune travelers must register on the pre-travel registration platform and submit their pre-travel PCR test.
So it suggests UK arrivals don't need a pre arrival test and can instead just due an antigen within 24 hours of arrival, unless they mean strictly EU arrivals - in which case why mention the UK and NHS app?
Ignore, I think this exception is EU only and not including UK

Last edited by KARFA; May 19, 2022 at 9:35 am
Old May 19, 2022, 10:18 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Marriott LT Platinum
I was also thinking of positioning myself for a business trip to the Middle East and to visit some friends but the entry requirements made the whole thing a no go for me. I am living in the UK but I am a EU citizen so I could technically skip the pre-arrival test but at the same time I have no interest in the after arrival lateral flow test. Also I have seen stories that getting this app run after arrival is rather difficult if you don't have a Qatari phone number.

I gave up and will be in Dubai where I only need my NHS vax certificate.

Doha is of course still a nice and rather value for money option for a holiday in the sun.
Old May 19, 2022, 10:27 am
Original Poster

Yes the more I look into it, the more bewildering it gets! In some regards it appears harder than earlier on in the pandemic. I expect they are super cautious due to the World Cup later this year and fear of having to run that like the Olympics.

DXB is very busy and BA only has one a day right now that will be like a Zoo so wanted something quieter and found a good price to DOH. Perhaps the confusing entry requirements combined with the App not working are the reasons.

Im a little put off now so may look elsewhere but thanks all for the info, if anyone else has any more positive experiences I would be very glad to hear them

Last edited by danboy767; May 19, 2022 at 10:28 am Reason: Spelling
Old May 19, 2022, 10:51 am

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Diamond
Consider Oman, I have been myself... enjoyed it!
MaxFlyer and Ramos like this.
Old May 19, 2022, 10:58 am

https://onemileatatime.com/insights/...d-entry-qatar/

Could be useful info in here !
danboy767 likes this.
Old May 19, 2022, 11:24 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Schwann
Consider Oman, I have been myself... enjoyed it!
Thanks but its been cut from BA rather like my old favorite destination in the UAE Abu Dhabi and I don't like the idea of transferring in DOH especially with two tired kids.
Old May 19, 2022, 11:31 am

Programs: GGL, UA 1MM
Originally Posted by danboy767
Hi

We are looking to travel to Doha for a vacation the end of the May from LGW to DOH, seems good in that now the daily flight has moved to LGW it actually doesn't get cancelled. Anyone have recent experience of this flight on BA? It looks like its an old 777 so not getting my hopes up
Also im very confused by the Qatar entry requirements and process.
First in that you are asked to submit proof of vaccine, test and travel details 72 hours before you plan to arrive here https://ehteraz.gov.qa/PER/ but then need a PCR test 48 hours before to avoid an antigen test on arrival. Anyone know how this works?
Also we have 2 unvaccinated kids 8 & 11. I read they need a PCR test also and its mentioned they are treated same as the parents but then it says anti gen testing is done at port of entry for them.
Any feedback at all would be much appreciated.
We recently flew to Doha, but on Qatar, and were connecting so perhaps different if you staying there. We got our PCR tests the day before we flew, and the results were scrutinised at checkin, along with vaccine details. When we were checking in, someone in another line was told their test was invalid (believe it was too old), and they were sent away to find a test. Otherwise all very simple. Would recommend you print everything out beforehand.
danboy767 likes this.
Old May 19, 2022, 12:11 pm

Programs: QR Gold, BA silver
Did this exact same flight last Saturday. What happened:
0.) From my reading of the Qatari covid entry requirement page it seems that being triple vac-ed in Europe (same for NHS) I only need to do a post-arrival Antigen test in Doha. My understanding was confirmed to be true because you will see me successfully arguing my way into Qatar.

I rocked up at Gatwick with only my passport (non-EU/UK) and EU covid pass

1.) Gatwick check-in agent was unaware of the new Qatar entry rule that PCR test can now be replaced by vaccination certificate + post-arrival antigen, and did scare me by claiming that I needed a PCR certificate before I insisted that he should check with his supervisor... no PCR needed.

2.) I was doing a 26 hours 'self-made transit' in Doha (onward to Oman, best country I have been btw!) and the ground staff insisted that I needed a transit visa for a transit more than 24 hours or I would be denied boarding. It took me some explaination that my trip to Doha should be considered an entry (that I will leave the country VERY soon) rather than a long transit (aka please read the other line). No problem getting through.

3.) Upon arrival the Doha immigration officier sent me to the back insisting that I would not be considered European (based in Europe with an European residence card) and the staff at the back were not helpful and bs-ed me that despite the website clear quotes 'EU nationals and residents can...' they work off people's nationality so I would be considered to be coming from my nationality country, which is a very counterintuitive way of reading their government website (classic ME bureaucracy these foreign workers do dnithing but covering up their local supervisors).

They eventually had to call out a doctor-dressed person from the health bureau and he gave a green light very quickly checking that I genuinely live in Europe, with a valid vaccine certificate, gave me a letter piece of paper so the immigration guys would let me in. Took me overall 30 minutes at the counters and it felt really intimidating (especially just got off CW and just looking forward to the four season)- I really felt like a cattle being pushed around and told off like I did anything wrong.

Overall bad experience, Doha is not a city I would spend more than 24 hours in anyway... Oman has a whole lot more to do and with friendlier locals. Still happy to help if you want more info about Doha though!
Buster CT1K and AirbusA350 like this.
Old May 19, 2022, 12:14 pm

Programs: QR Gold, BA silver
Btw the link KARFA sent out was the one I based my prepration on and got me through.

It's old 777 but equipped with the 'new' CW like the A380s.
Old May 19, 2022, 8:18 pm

Programs: BA Gold, Air France Platinum, and still missing Virgin America Elevate Gold
TheDinge How was the Four Seasons Doha? How was the Ehratz app they make you download? I'm going next month.

Last edited by mikeap; May 19, 2022 at 8:19 pm Reason: Clarity

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.