Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Unbelievable BA

Search this Thread

Old May 20, 2022, 5:01 am

This reminds me of the John Grisham book "The Rainmaker" which was turned into a film. Insurance company denied medical cover for a leukemia case and eventually were dragged into court where one of the insurance handlers admitted the company had a policy of denying all first claims and if anyone challenged that it was referred to a secondary team who also denied the claim and so on. It was fiction but I think someone at BA as implemented this as a new policy for EU261 claims!
mnhusker likes this.
Old May 20, 2022, 5:25 am

Originally Posted by Lioneye
As suggested I replied to the email requesting confirmation that this was their final position so that I could proceed to CEDR.

I received this reply very quickly.......

"Please accept my apologies on behalf of the previous agent dealing with your claim. I can see there has been some confusion regarding your flight, however, upon further investigation I am pleased to inform you that you are eligible for EU compensation for your cancelled flight.
I honestly don't know which is a worse explanation, that this is BA incompetence to a new level or deceit/evasion of obligations....
Silver Fox and mnhusker like this.
Old May 20, 2022, 5:36 am
Suspended

Programs: BA
Originally Posted by aristoph
I honestly don't know which is a worse explanation, that this is BA incompetence to a new level or deceit/evasion of obligations....
Incompetence is not malign and relatively easily fixed. Deceit / Evasion of Obligations is by design and harder to fix.

My view is it's the latter, simply because we are hearing similar stories - with 'cut and paste' responses over and over again. I would imagine BA has 'done the sums' and realised that if they can fob off, say, 30% of claimants with the first letter they're quids in. I would think the number fobbed off is even higher, though, given that a lot of people don't know about this legislation despite the fact BA are legally required to tell them about it, those who do know often just can't be bothered, those who can be bothered will either accept the rubbish they receive as factual and correct or decide that MCOL/CEDR is too difficult/too scary to do and so it goes on.

Unless and until there is proper enforcement, with punitive fines for this consistant abrogation of their legals duties, why on earth would BA change ? They're onto a winner and they know it.
Old May 20, 2022, 5:46 am

Programs: BA Blue
Here's another data point:

My flight from Berlin to London was cancelled on Feb 26. No alternative flight was offered in MMB and I needed to get home that day, so I booked a one way Lufthansa ticket. On Feb 27 I submitted a claim for both the cost of the Lufthansa ticket and EU261 compensation.

After 4 holding emails in March I finally heard on Apr 21 that my claim had been accepted, and full payment came through on May 4.
Old May 23, 2022, 7:23 am

Programs: BAEC GGL/CR; Hilton Diamond; Mucci des Puccis
I did just get an additional UK261 amount added to a claim paid as EC261, for €400. £8 better off. Result. (Yes, I'm cheap).
choosethedrew and Lioneye like this.
Old May 23, 2022, 9:13 am

Programs: BA GGL for a little while longer
Originally Posted by GrannyWeatherwax
Incompetence is not malign and relatively easily fixed. Deceit / Evasion of Obligations is by design and harder to fix.

My view is it's the latter, simply because we are hearing similar stories - with 'cut and paste' responses over and over again. I would imagine BA has 'done the sums' and realised that if they can fob off, say, 30% of claimants with the first letter they're quids in. I would think the number fobbed off is even higher, though, given that a lot of people don't know about this legislation despite the fact BA are legally required to tell them about it, those who do know often just can't be bothered, those who can be bothered will either accept the rubbish they receive as factual and correct or decide that MCOL/CEDR is too difficult/too scary to do and so it goes on.

Unless and until there is proper enforcement, with punitive fines for this consistant abrogation of their legals duties, why on earth would BA change ? They're onto a winner and they know it.
Eventually the Government will be shamed into action and will make "UK261" payments automatic and mandatory with the onus on airlines to report in their accounts and be liable for swingeing fines where compensation is incorrectly denied. They will be a lot worse off than they are now and it will be entirely self-inflicted.
Old May 23, 2022, 9:36 am

Programs: American Life Time 2 Million Mile Platinum
Of course this is deliberate!!

Medicare in the US does this as well.

They refuse a fixed percentage of first claims, forcing Doctors/Hospitals to refile if they want to collect for services rendered.

For smaller offices or hospitals that do not have sophisticated software, Medicare knows that they will often just give up!

While larger clinics like mine (Mayo Clinic) knows this is going on and invested in the software needed to immediately refile and viola, you immediately get paid with no change what so ever in the claim.

Since governments are involved in these kinds of scams, there is no way that they will hold BA's feet to the fire about this .
Old May 23, 2022, 9:37 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

All getting a tad OTT.
cbagent likes this.
Old May 23, 2022, 10:16 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by HHarry
I feel that I’ve hijacked the OP’s post for which I apologise.

I replied to the nonsense email above, pointing out it was nonsense and asking for confirmation it was their final answer so I could go to CEDR. By return I had a reply saying the £19.80 would be transferred to my account.

So it appears that making it clear you know & are prepared to use CEDR (or MCOL) focuses the response.
Hoping so as I had exactly the same email after 3 months for a cancellation on the 26th Feb where they paid the compensation and subsistence costs but not the cost of alternative flights. I've quoted the legislation back to them and said I will go to MCOL if they do not pay up. In our case the compensation fell short of the cost of the replacement flight. Cheeky buggers didn't even refund the Avios and charges!
Captain Schmidt likes this.
Old May 23, 2022, 10:17 am

I submitted a claim for the same February meltdown on March 2. 82 days later i'm still waiting for a response.
Old May 23, 2022, 10:32 am

Out of curiosity have any UK based members approached Citizens Advice for help?
Old May 23, 2022, 12:12 pm

Programs: Sir Ratechaser Seigneur de la Patience d'un Saint (Mucci), BA Silver, Starbucks Gold
Originally Posted by HIDDY
All getting a tad OTT.
Well it's just possible they are hiding behind their reputation for incompetence and instead carrying out a more coordinated 'deny all claims' campaign. As other posters have alluded, won't be the first time that a large corporation has taken this approach.

Hopefully not the case, but the number of stories of egregious unfounded claim denials is rising so it's not unreasonable to ponder the question rather than just stick to the usual line that BA doesn't know its arse from its elbow.
adrianlondon and ermis177 like this.

Last edited by ratechaser; May 23, 2022 at 12:26 pm
Old May 23, 2022, 4:35 pm

Originally Posted by ratechaser
Well it's just possible they are hiding behind their reputation for incompetence and instead carrying out a more coordinated 'deny all claims' campaign. As other posters have alluded, won't be the first time that a large corporation has taken this approach.

Hopefully not the case, but the number of stories of egregious unfounded claim denials is rising so it's not unreasonable to ponder the question rather than just stick to the usual line that BA doesn't know its arse from its elbow.
I'd have thought the media would be reporting that as suggested by some BA are in cahoots with the Government when it comes to compensating customers. Maybe the media have been too busy gathering evidence showing Boris actually drinks water out of a glass?
BA or bust and ratechaser like this.
Old May 24, 2022, 4:08 am

Programs: BAEC GGL/CR; Hilton Diamond; Mucci des Puccis
I spoke to someone fairly exalted at BA yesterday, who suggested that a lot of EC261 processing delays were because cases tended to be complex on multiflight itineraries and were being chased by phone and email which created many more interactions. This individual wasn't involved in the process in any way, so this was presumably what had been reported.

It doesn't sound very convincing, certainly all my claims bar one which isn't in yet are simple point to point. So I wonder whether some excuses are being made.
Old May 24, 2022, 5:03 am

Programs: BA, UA, Marriot
Originally Posted by docdee
Hoping so as I had exactly the same email after 3 months for a cancellation on the 26th Feb where they paid the compensation and subsistence costs but not the cost of alternative flights. I've quoted the legislation back to them and said I will go to MCOL if they do not pay up. In our case the compensation fell short of the cost of the replacement flight. Cheeky buggers didn't even refund the Avios and charges!
That's identical to Mrs Schmidt's situation. She actually saved them money by buying an economy ticket for the replacement sector rather than business so you'd have thought they'd show some gratitude
haroon145 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.