Wiki Posts
Search

Long Time, no Biz!!!!

Search this Thread

Old May 17, 2022, 7:43 am
Original Poster

Programs: Mucci Blue, BAEC Gold, Blockbuster Video card
Long Time, no Biz!!!!

Hi everyone - I'm back. Not had a total hiatus from flying, but certainly from business travel (for over 2 years). But now quite possibly off to MAD again next month.

Couple of quick Qs for the resident experts (mostly because I have forgotten how half this stuff works nowadays).

1) "Iberia Express for BA" vs "Iberia Express for Iberia". In both cases would book on BA website. Is there much practical difference? I am guessing I still get TPs and Avios both times, still get lounge access, seat selection via MMB etc??? Anything that might catch me out?

2) Open jaw LHR >> MAD >> LGW - any huge downsides in doing this if the flights etc suit? I can't remember as it's been a while but for some reason I thought that this wasn't usually an option once you had selected your outbound flight from either of the London options, when I was regularly doing this before (but it's all lost in a pandemic haze frankly)

3) IB A330 - vaguely worth it? Or meh? (there doesn't seem to be a BA widebody on that route any more - naturally gutted there wouldn't be an A380 option but hey ho.... I used to quite like the A340 when I could bag a PE seat on an economy booking, but didn't usually change my flight times just for that.

4) Airport / lounge experience - has much changed? Or are things gradually back to normal(ish). I know there's a long thread discussing LGW and BAEF so I could see some of the LGW centric answers there. But it's been a long time since I've done anything other than holiday travel from LGW, avec nippers, with no lounge access / just getting from taxi to boarding as quickly as we could etc.

Will be nice to actually enjoy a different 'pace' of travel again ;-) - may even bump into one or two of you, who knows....

P
Old May 17, 2022, 7:50 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
That's not an open jaw, since both LGW and LHR are in London, or airport coding LON. There isn't much choose between prime and codeshare flight numbers, however because IB Express are on a different system from Iberia and BA are on a third system, there's very little chance that the TPs and Avios will post automatically, so keep the paper boarding pass just in case. Personally on such a short flight longhaul aircraft isn't for me a big deal, though others feel differently, but be aware it may get A320'd when the time comes. Lounges - best see the dedicated threads, a few changes, usual litany of complaints but they still draw the crowds.
Old May 17, 2022, 8:08 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
That's not an open jaw, since both LGW and LHR are in London, or airport coding LON.
Oops - I did say I'm rusty ;-)

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
There isn't much choose between prime and codeshare flight numbers, however because IB Express are on a different system from Iberia and BA are on a third system, there's very little chance that the TPs and Avios will post automatically, so keep the paper boarding pass just in case. Personally on such a short flight longhaul aircraft isn't for me a big deal, though others feel differently, but be aware it may get A320'd when the time comes. Lounges - best see the dedicated threads, a few changes, usual litany of complaints but they still draw the crowds.
Great info CWS - thanks. I'll just pick based on timings (with a mild preference to avoid the IBx for IB option I guess). But I am tempted to try the LHR >> MAD >> LGW option given when I'd be returning. That way I still get the convenience outbound of the F Wing check in / security experience I presume, but then don't have to get back up the M4 in middle of the day on way home.....
Old May 17, 2022, 8:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Falkirk, Scotland,VS Red, BA Gold, HH Diamond,UK Amex Plat
Programs: Master of the Privy Purse des Muccis
Hi

also the ib a330 has sometimes been replaced by a level a330 ( so the ce seat would be a level premium economy seat rather than an ib business seat iirc)

Regards

Tbs
Pascoe likes this.
Old May 17, 2022, 9:46 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by The _Banking_Scot
Hi

also the ib a330 has sometimes been replaced by a level a330 ( so the ce seat would be a level premium economy seat rather than an ib business seat iirc)

Regards

Tbs
On a simple nosiness / curiosity basis I'd almost be tempted to say that's a plus......... almost
Old May 17, 2022, 11:27 am

Programs: BA GGL & GfL, AA LTP, Marriott (sigh) Ambassador, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Pascoe
On a simple nosiness / curiosity basis I'd almost be tempted to say that's a plus......... almost
trust me its not when you are sat 2-3-2 in a PE seat that is in a full cabin. i've been duped by this twice and i'd take a BA a320 in standard CE than try the IB a330 anytime soon because of those level planes. (i really do not like sitting directly next to someone)
Old May 17, 2022, 2:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BA, AF
1) "Iberia Express for BA" vs "Iberia Express for Iberia". In both cases would book on BA website. Is there much practical difference? I am guessing I still get TPs and Avios both times, still get lounge access, seat selection via MMB etc??? Anything that might catch me out?
I2 for BA = it's really a BA flight, but with an I2 aircraft / crew. I suppose it could swap back to BA. This is due to BAEF crew shortage. This is the new BA LGW-MAD route.
I2 for IB = it's the standard I2 LGW-MAD flight, just booked via a (double) codeshare.
TP and Avios on both, lounge on both (though LGW lounge closes I believe at 20:00, and the late IB/I2 flight is around 20:40), seat selection on both in theory but you may struggle on the IB/I2 one.

2) Open jaw LHR >> MAD >> LGW - any huge downsides in doing this if the flights etc suit? I can't remember as it's been a while but for some reason I thought that this wasn't usually an option once you had selected your outbound flight from either of the London options, when I was regularly doing this before (but it's all lost in a pandemic haze frankly)
No problem doing that, but remember that same day flight change needs the same airports. LGW doesn't have many options - 2-3 per day.

3) IB A330 - vaguely worth it? Or meh? (there doesn't seem to be a BA widebody on that route any more - naturally gutted there wouldn't be an A380 option but hey ho.... I used to quite like the A340 when I could bag a PE seat on an economy booking, but didn't usually change my flight times just for that.
I try to take that flight if timings suit. The Level A330 has been making an appearance earlier in the year quite regularly, but that doesn't seem to happen as much now. A330-300 and A350 have PE which you can bag if flying Y (status or payment), A330-200 doesn't have PE.

4) Airport / lounge experience - has much changed? Or are things gradually back to normal(ish). I know there's a long thread discussing LGW and BAEF so I could see some of the LGW centric answers there. But it's been a long time since I've done anything other than holiday travel from LGW, avec nippers, with no lounge access / just getting from taxi to boarding as quickly as we could etc.
Not much, other than all London flights now depart T4S in Madrid rather than narrowbody IB/I2 using a specific part of T4. Better lounge (although the differences have narrowed significantly since the new catering rolled out post-covid), but a trek.
Old May 17, 2022, 6:36 pm

Programs: IB , BA , AA , LATAM
i think that the Level A330s are now back flying the North and South American routes
Old May 26, 2022, 2:12 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by BA6501
I2 for BA = it's really a BA flight, but with an I2 aircraft / crew. I suppose it could swap back to BA. This is due to BAEF crew shortage. This is the new BA LGW-MAD route.
I2 for IB = it's the standard I2 LGW-MAD flight, just booked via a (double) codeshare.
TP and Avios on both, lounge on both (though LGW lounge closes I believe at 20:00, and the late IB/I2 flight is around 20:40), seat selection on both in theory but you may struggle on the IB/I2 one.
Great info - I'd most likely be out from LHR and back into LGW so doesn't apply but appreciate the detail.

No problem doing that, but remember that same day flight change needs the same airports. LGW doesn't have many options - 2-3 per day.
Yeah makes sense - as I have nippers to get back to, would try mightily hard NOT to deviate from schedule but good to know.

I try to take that flight if timings suit. The Level A330 has been making an appearance earlier in the year quite regularly, but that doesn't seem to happen as much now. A330-300 and A350 have PE which you can bag if flying Y (status or payment), A330-200 doesn't have PE.
Looks like it's an IB A330-300 from what I can glean from EF seat plans. So I'd be tempted but need to wait to see what meetings look like on arrival day otehrwise I'll prob be on the silly O'Clock 456/8 (god how I miss the 767s)

Not much, other than all London flights now depart T4S in Madrid rather than narrowbody IB/I2 using a specific part of T4. Better lounge (although the differences have narrowed significantly since the new catering rolled out post-covid), but a trek.
Much prefer T4S - and have done the train so many times it hardly bothers me really. Worth it for the views in that lounge.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.