Community
Wiki Posts
Search

voting with one's wallet

Search this Thread

Old May 16, 2022, 5:36 am

I asked this a number of months ago and thought, by now, the flights might be a bit cheaper but flights from LHR - NYC are still about £200 more for a return than i had paid for LHR-NYC and then PHL-LHR return in 2020 (ironically that same path is only £100 more than what i paid for it last year).

But they are still so astronomically expensive for Y and i dont know how they can justify it, especially as all i am consistently seeing is that peoples flights are cancelled and press about them has been GARBAGE recently.

They should do a flash sale hahah
Old May 16, 2022, 5:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by MiraculousM
But they are still so astronomically expensive for Y and i dont know how they can justify it, especially as all i am consistently seeing is that peoples flights are cancelled ...

They should do a flash sale hahah
BA is having trouble supplying the demand, because it can't get enough crewed flights into the air.

If you think that this should cause prices to drop, then I recommend a very basic course in economics.
Old May 16, 2022, 5:58 am

Originally Posted by Globaliser
BA is having trouble supplying the demand, because it can't get enough crewed flights into the air.

If you think that this should cause prices to drop, then I recommend a very basic course in economics.
Its not through no fault of their own though.
If, where i work at the hospital, the hospital fired half of their clinicians and then expected the clinics to start up and see as many patients as pre covid and then expected it to work as well with half the clinicians, i would also expect things to go belly up too.

Also, bad press/a reputation of cancelling flights is not going to make people want to pay more than, say, flying on another airline who doesnt have the same problem if they are the same price. Combine that with the fact that a contributing factor, for myself at least, of people booking BA in the first place over an american carrier being that the flights are protected under EU261, and they arent even getting that right, why do they think that people will chose them over AA?

Supply and demand only works when there are customers, no?
Old May 16, 2022, 6:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Its not through no fault of their own though.
That's irrelevant. In the short term BA has lots of customers and is seeing lots of demand, but is having to cut supply because it can't produce enough capacity. It doesn't matter whose fault it is, it's going to drive up prices in the whole market, both for BA and for others (all of whom also having their own problems producing enough capacity, even if they have managed their ramp-ups better by not being over-ambitious about what they thought they could produce). Particularly at the higher price levels, there are plenty of people whose absolute need to go somewhere far outweighs all the things that holiday-makers have the luxury of stressing about.
Supply and demand only works when there are customers, no?
Are you starting to go down the route of "BA has stuffed up so badly this time - and so much worse than every time before now - that this time everyone really will vote with their wallets and go elsewhere and BA will be left with no customers and a destroyed business"?

I've seen this argued here by BA-haters about once every 18 months since (quickly checks FT joining date in sidebar) 2002. And guess what? It hasn't happened yet.
TTmex likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.