Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Rost Island to Wainwrigh (AK)

Search this Thread

Old May 9, 2022, 1:33 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Many. Too many. I came here to cut them down. I failed.
Rost Island to Wainwrigh (AK)

So bare with me - it's very relevant to BA. I have a bunch of BA flights coming up (only 1 cancellation so far to Amsterdam, but they rebooked me 15 minutes later, no harm).

But got the dreaded cancellation email addressed to my 11 year old daughter - bad news as we have flights to Thailand (out from CPH, back to FRA) for a holiday this August with RFS flights linking them from London. There goes the family holiday I thought... but the other 3 of us, nothing. So goto Manage My Booking using the PNR on the cancellation e-mail - and this comes up.

Wut?

I have no idea where these places are, how it can take 1 minute, is it a holding page for something else, has her BA Account been hacked so people can make random bookings (in Arkansas?).

Have we been defrauded, is this a known error, what is going on, help?!
Old May 9, 2022, 1:38 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, ITA Volare Executive
I’m guessing this is a holding booking. Code for Røst Island is RET and Wainwright is AIN.
Add them together and you get RETAIN.
KARFA, bisonrav, steveholt and 1 others like this.
Old May 9, 2022, 1:39 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by EDIwanderer
I’m guessing this is a holding booking. Code for Røst Island is RET and Wainwright is AIN.
Add them together and you get RETAIN.
Oh wow, ok, good thinking.

What's a holding booking?

Also the e-mail says i'll get £35 refunded on my AMEX....?!

I've checked all my flights and all seem operational (still)
Old May 9, 2022, 1:43 pm

My understanding is that it’s held as a booking to nonsense places to retain the value of the booking until rearranged / refunded or otherwise dealt with by the back office but I’m sure others will say that with more conviction and eloquence!
Sam Bee likes this.
Old May 9, 2022, 1:56 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
My understanding is that it’s held as a booking to nonsense places to retain the value of the booking until rearranged / refunded or otherwise dealt with by the back office but I’m sure others will say that with more conviction and eloquence!
Yes, the lethal combination of Amadeus and BA's interface can be unforgiving in terms of losing information so the standard procedure is to put in something, anything, to keep the booking vaguely alive so that more work can be done to it. Ditto refunds. You were most unfortunate not to have the A380 service to Mont-Joli, in the Francophone bit of Canada, home to the inventor of ladies tights. Such a flight may be able to land on the 1800m runway but would be destined to stay there for a long time. Airport code YYZ.
Old May 9, 2022, 1:59 pm

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
Yes, the lethal combination of Amadeus and BA's interface can be unforgiving in terms of losing information so the standard procedure is to put in something, anything, to keep the booking vaguely alive so that more work can be done to it. Ditto refunds. You were most unfortunate not to have the A380 service to Mont-Joli, in the Francophone bit of Canada, home to the inventor of ladies tights. Such a flight may be able to land on the 1800m runway but would be destined to stay there for a long time. Airport code YYZ.
Was it not YYY? Think YYZ is somewhere a little more commercial! 🇨🇦 😉
tigertanaka likes this.
Old May 9, 2022, 2:01 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Was it not YYY? Think YYZ is somewhere a little more commercial! 🇨🇦 😉
Oh yes, and they could manage the A380 better. But not the ladies tights perhaps.
steveholt likes this.
Old May 9, 2022, 2:04 pm
Original Poster

I think a 1 minute flight from Norway to Alaska is possible with the time differences, but can only mean the joyous news that BA is bringing Concorde back into service on this prestigious route, no idea about runway length on Rost Island though...

So, they must be aware this would trigger a cancellation e-mail and a notice of a refund. Most importantly, should I worry about any of my upcoming flights?!
Old May 9, 2022, 2:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA
Originally Posted by Sam Bee
I have no idea where these places are, how it can take 1 minute, is it a holding page for something else, has her BA Account been hacked so people can make random bookings (in Arkansas?).
I would welcome you here in Arkansas but Wainwright is in Alaska near Fairbanks. And considering that many people from the US can't get either of those postal abbreviations right, you get points for knowing that it is in the US and started with A.
Old May 9, 2022, 2:13 pm

Programs: BAEC GGL/CR; Hilton Diamond; Mucci des Puccis
Got to fly this now.

It is incidentally possible to fly from AAA to ZZZ, which starts at Anaa in the South seas and ends at a Danish seaplane base in Aarhus. I was planning that pre-pandemic.
Reason077 likes this.
Old May 9, 2022, 2:20 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by wrp96
I would welcome you here in Arkansas but Wainwright is in Alaska near Fairbanks. And considering that many people from the US can't get either of those postal abbreviations right, you get points for knowing that it is in the US and started with A.
Sorry

I should hold myself to a higher standard having lived in Louisiana.
wrp96 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.