Wiki Posts
Search

Seeking advice on connection LHR

Search this Thread

Old May 2, 2022, 10:18 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA, SAS
Seeking advice on connection LHR

Hi,We will fly from ARN to LAS June 18th with BA. Original flight from ARN to LHR 11:20 was cancelled and we were automatically rebooked to 07:05 instead. Now this flight also is cancelled and we have not been rebooked to another flight.

The only available flight ARN to LHR with BA on the 17th is 13:25 which arrive at LHR T5 at 15:10. This gives us a connection time of 90 minutes to the LAS flight 16:40 from T3.

Is there a reason BA hasn’t automatically booked us onto this flight?

Is the connection time to short? Tickets are Business so I guess we can use fast track?

If we choose this flight by ourselves and the ARN flight is delayed, will BA still put us on the next flight to LAS at their expense?

Seeking advice if we should book the 13:25 flight from ARN or if we should travel the day before, stay the night at a Hotel near LHR and fly to LAS the 18th?

Thanks for your input.
Old May 2, 2022, 10:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Falkirk, Scotland,VS Red, BA Gold, HH Diamond,UK Amex Plat
Programs: Master of the Privy Purse des Muccis
Originally Posted by Peter_68
Hi,We will fly from ARN to LAS June 18th with BA. Original flight from ARN to LHR 11:20 was cancelled and we were automatically rebooked to 07:05 instead. Now this flight also is cancelled and we have not been rebooked to another flight.

The only available flight ARN to LHR with BA on the 17th is 13:25 which arrive at LHR T5 at 15:10. This gives us a connection time of 90 minutes to the LAS flight 16:40 from T3.

Is the connection time to short? Tickets are Business so I guess we can use fast track?

If we choose this flight by ourselves and the ARN flight is delayed, will BA still put us on the next flight to LAS at their expense?

Seeking advice if we should book the 13:25 flight from ARN or if we should travel the day before, stay the night at a Hotel near LHR and fly to LAS the 18th?

Thanks for your input.
Hi,

Minimum Connection Time at LHR for T5 toT3 is 90mins so this just meets it ( not sure if the BA computers view exactly 90mins of connection as valid or it needs to be 91mins
I would probably fly inthe night before

Regards

TBS
Peter_68 likes this.
Old May 2, 2022, 10:27 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Your ticket is probably a bit too mangled for the robots to work properly. It may be fixed after a few days, but otherwise you best call up. If you find it difficult now, try diifferent times and different numbers
ba.com/contact-us
Or Follow BA on Twitter and send a Direct Message.
It is the minimum between T5 and T3, but it is do-able and I would personally be OK with it. The alternative is to find a T5 departure to the USA and a connection from there.
So long as BA rebooked you within your existing booking, then you are protected, also protected by EC261 and you will get to your destination OK.
That depends on your style of travelling. There are people here who would be horrified by a short connection, whereas I would be pleased to keep the overall journey time down. That's a question best answered by you. But I will say there is a wide variety of hotels around LHR from very cheap to luxurious so that's easy to do.
Old May 2, 2022, 12:16 pm

I’m with CWS. Book the closest connection to MCT you can so it’s legal, then if an enforced hotel stay (or rebooking) does become necessary it’s up to BA to arrange and pay for it. We should remember that MCT is MCT for a reason and by definition it means the vast majority of such connections are made with no hassle or drama.
Peter_68 and LCY8737 like this.
Old May 2, 2022, 1:06 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA, SAS
Thanks a lot for your replies. Really helpful info.

I will probably choose the option with the short connection time. It seems like the flight to LAS (BA275) is always delayed by 30 min or more. This will hopefully give us a connection time of 2h+
Old May 3, 2022, 1:20 am

I had a booking to LAS last year that was messed up a lot of times and it was even hard for the agents to sort out the things. Ale pre-covid I had the same issue as you on the LAS-flight (with connection to/from OSL). Then i had no issues being routed with BA to LAX and AA onwards. PHX, DFW, SFO, ORD and JFK are also other conneciton-points that works well to/from LAS with an AA-leg if you want to play safe.

If you find a routing/have a suggestion, try to call them up and ask for it. I have been successfull every time, even if part of the booking was upgrades with Avios.
Peter_68 likes this.
Old May 3, 2022, 5:14 am

Programs: BA GOLD, HILTON DIAMOND, BONVOY L/T GOLD,
I had this issue with LAS changing from T5 to T3 and connecting. I was told that 2 hours was needed so now have a 6 hour layover
Peter_68 likes this.
Old May 3, 2022, 6:01 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by brithk
I had this issue with LAS changing from T5 to T3 and connecting. I was told that 2 hours was needed so now have a 6 hour layover
If BA coded, then it's 90 minutes between T3 and T5. Two hours is the default MCT when nothing else is found, but specifically for T3 to T5 and vice versa it is 90 minutes. 1 hour for T3 or T5 connections without changing terminal, 90 minutes for terminal changes, 105 minutes for those involving both Terminal 4 and T5 (when tha reopens).
Peter_68 likes this.
Old May 3, 2022, 7:37 am

Programs: BA GOLD, HILTON DIAMOND, BONVOY L/T GOLD,
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
If BA coded, then it's 90 minutes between T3 and T5. Two hours is the default MCT when nothing else is found, but specifically for T3 to T5 and vice versa it is 90 minutes. 1 hour for T3 or T5 connections without changing terminal, 90 minutes for terminal changes, 105 minutes for those involving both Terminal 4 and T5 (when tha reopens).
The agent told me it was 2 hours but I just checked and the connection time was 80 mins so it failed anyway- still really annoying
Old May 3, 2022, 10:39 am

Thanks for your input.
I'm having a similar issue. Was booked on June 29 on that 11:20am ARN-LHR. They simply cancelled the flight and did not rebook me. Instead they issued a travel voucher. I looked at the later flight but it's too late and BA wanted more money for it. Something seems wrong with this but reaching anyone to enquire is close to an impossibility
Peter_68 likes this.
Old May 3, 2022, 10:47 am

Originally Posted by sdix
I'm having a similar issue. Was booked on June 29 on that 11:20am ARN-LHR. They simply cancelled the flight and did not rebook me. Instead they issued a travel voucher. I looked at the later flight but it's too late and BA wanted more money for it. Something seems wrong with this but reaching anyone to enquire is close to an impossibility
Yes, rebooking - free of charge - is a requirement in law, so something went wrong there. If you asked for a voucher and then try to rebook then there would be a refare. If you did not ask for a voucher then you can still have a full cash refund, that's also the law. Always check in this forum if you're not sure of your options and before calling up.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.