Wiki Posts
Search

Avios 2-4-1 booking - changes help

Search this Thread

Old May 1, 2022, 9:05 am
Original Poster

Avios 2-4-1 booking - changes help

Hi,

Slightly preemptive question but was hoping one of the BA masterminds here might know what’s possible, or be able to suggest any other solutions, so I’m prepared if I need to tackle BA.

We’ve got a J Avios 2-4-1 to SYD in less than 2 weeks. I’ve had a positive covid test a few days ago with symptoms, so will hopefully recover in time, but my other half has not yet tested positive (and may not).

Option wise should we not be able to travel:

- Date change is likely to not be possible as reward availability to SYD appears to be gold dust

- We don’t want to cancel the whole trip for a voucher as we’re going for a fairly long time, would rather delay departure by a week or two

So, would any of these options be allowed?

- I travel on the booking as intended (I’m the voucher holder). We call BA and ask if my partners outbound can be cancelled, with the return kept, and book a different outbound a week later for them (will they let the 2-4-1 stand in this scenario?)

- We call BA and ask to cancel the outbound for both but keep the return as is, and then book separate outbounds for both of us

- We get a not fit to fly letter - would this allow date changes even if no availability?

Any other suggestions? We do have travel insurance but this doesn’t cover additional costs incurred from what I read for a positive covid test on outbound. There’s no other elements of the trip that’ll cost us, all of that is flexible.

As a last question, I’m a lowly bronze, travel companion is silver - would the silver line take a call from me as one of the travellers is?
Old May 1, 2022, 2:06 pm

Programs: BAEC Bronze, Mucci recipient
I think you are a bit stuck. I am not sure you can simply cancel the outbound and fly the return unless the 2-4-1 voucher is one of the latest which allows you to start the journey outside the UK

You are correct that you can move the booking by paying £35 per passenger (not sure if that fee is still waived) but unfortunately there does need to be Avios availability.

I think you can apply for a FTV which will essentially cancel the whole booking and result in everything being returned to you.

You may be able to travel alone as you are the voucher holder but BA might cancel your travel companion's ticket. I doubt they will allow you to keep the return flight.

Take a look at this forum:

BA Covid-19 Flight cancellations, rebooking, and refunds | Help and advice thread

As for phoning BA you have a freephone number for Bronze members. I'd phone that rather than the Silver line even if your travel companion is entitled to though it might work if you were both on the call at the same time.
Old May 1, 2022, 2:09 pm

Programs: British Airways Executive Club Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium Elite, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Amb
You’ll be likely snookered if you can’t travel. You will need award availability to move your flights, unless BA cancels your flights.

However, I really don’t think you should be so pessimistic. Most people in your situation will be testing negative long before a flight in two weeks time. Plus there’s no test requirement to visit Australia any more, anyway. So just relax and look forward to your trip IMO.
Old May 1, 2022, 2:27 pm
Original Poster

Thanks both - it’s a pre change 2-4-1 so the U.K. start would apply which I forgot about. Voucher is expired by now so if we cancel we loose it.

All fingers crossed I guess!
Radiation Station likes this.
Old May 1, 2022, 2:32 pm

Programs: BAEC Bronze, Mucci recipient
I'm sure you'll be fine. Well done on getting the redemption in the first place.
Old May 1, 2022, 2:35 pm

Programs: British Airways Executive Club Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium Elite, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Amb
Originally Posted by Eitrohs
Thanks both - it’s a pre change 2-4-1 so the U.K. start would apply which I forgot about. Voucher is expired by now so if we cancel we loose it.

All fingers crossed I guess!
I really think it’s all going to work out well for you. Better to catch covid now than in a week’s time. Get well soon. I hope you have a great trip!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.