Community
Wiki Posts
Search

One off upgauge

Search this Thread

Old Apr 24, 2022, 10:03 am
Original Poster

One off upgauge

Noticed my flight to Montreal is now on a 789 instead of the usual 788 on 19 June. I know sometimes the 789 operates the route when the aircraft is allocated a week or so before (lack of aircraft availability, etc) but this seems to be scheduled. All dates either side are 788 as far as I can see. All I can think is a busy service to bring people back from the Canadian Grand Prix that day. Do BA usually do one off upgauges for events like this?
Old Apr 24, 2022, 11:03 am

Programs: Various airline, hotel and credit card programs
I have done the same route many times. Pre-pandemic, B788 was often replaced by B789, usually close to the departure date. B789 has F class cabin that it not sold in this market. Overall, there are fewer seats in B789 than B788. Depending on how busy the flight is, there are sometimes complimentary upgrade Y->PE->J.

In your case, this may still go back to B788.
Old Apr 24, 2022, 11:03 am

Not as common on longhaul as the complexity of crewing a different type or config usually makes it not worthwhile or possible

On short-haul events like MIPIM in Nice will see flights scheduled as A321 and extra sectors added with the odd 777 operating
Old Apr 24, 2022, 11:53 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Vaclav
I have done the same route many times. Pre-pandemic, B788 was often replaced by B789, usually close to the departure date. B789 has F class cabin that it not sold in this market. Overall, there are fewer seats in B789 than B788. Depending on how busy the flight is, there are sometimes complimentary upgrade Y->PE->J.

Indeed, just thinking as this is 2 months in advance there might be a reason other than the near to departure tail allocation process…

Last edited by sjoh1271; Apr 24, 2022 at 11:53 am Reason: Typo
Old Apr 24, 2022, 12:17 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, Flying Blue Gold, TK M&S Nobody
Originally Posted by Vaclav

There are two more seats on the 789. Far fewer Y though, presumably leading to many winners there if the cabin was sufficiently sold before the switch.
Vaclav likes this.
Old Apr 24, 2022, 12:40 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by etiene
There are two more seats on the 789. Far fewer Y though, presumably leading to many winners there if the cabin was sufficiently sold before the switch.
Maybe a premium heavy config is needed that day as see BA94 YUL-LHR has no club for sale on 19JUN… assume they have sold J including the 8F seats as FLUB…

any anyone see on expert flyer or from BA?
Old Apr 25, 2022, 2:48 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Flying Blue Gold, TK M&S Nobody
Originally Posted by sjoh1271
Maybe a premium heavy config is needed that day as see BA94 YUL-LHR has no club for sale on 19JUN… assume they have sold J including the 8F seats as FLUB…

any anyone see on expert flyer or from BA?
Indeed, needing premium seats is more likely - massive Y sales would presumably lead to an upguage that added capacity down back.

BA95 LHR-YUL:
BA94 YUL-LHR:
Only two club seats actually reserved on the 94 at the moment though - I'd have thought the F1 crowd would have status. First is currently blocked too. Corporate [passenger inspecific] bookings maybe? Or holding them for later sale.
Old Apr 25, 2022, 4:45 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by etiene
Only two club seats actually reserved on the 94 at the moment though - I'd have thought the F1 crowd would have status. First is currently blocked too. Corporate [passenger inspecific] bookings maybe? Or holding them for later sale.
Interesting, thank you. Sounds like someone has blocked the whole Club and Flub cabins… corporate returning from the F1 that day?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.