Community
Wiki Posts
Search

LHR. NCE - no bags being taken

Search this Thread

Old Apr 15, 2022, 2:45 am

Originally Posted by BOH
How does that work then? Isn't the final load sheet what gets given to the flight deck by a ground crew member just before the doors are closed? Therefore the plane is still at the gate with the doors open?
That’s one way of doing it, but no, at BA things are done differently. A Provisional load sheet is given to the crew, usually now by ACARS, and this is used for performance planning, once doors are closed and the flight has been finalised, the TRM sends a Final Loadsheet via ACARS to the pilots. Provided this is within limits then the perf is okay. Sometimes it requires changes to the performance, and these are actioned before takeoff.
Old Apr 15, 2022, 2:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
It's also not unique to BA or LHR, I can see that elsewhere in the news that AMS, DUB, MAN, SYD and some USA airports are having similar problems at the moment.
I'm not entirely sure - yes, staff shortage is affecting others, but i have a feeling the situation with BA is worse than with most. I haven't heard similar stories with AF, IB, and LX, U2 has also cancelled some flights and it has been hard on passengers, but I haven't heard of similar levels of chaos as with BA (and have flown them four times in just over a week already without issue).

Rightly or wrongly, I have a feeling that with BA, staff's low spirits and tiredness with their management is acting as a multiplicator of the problems caused by more global issues. I have never had so many BA staff tell me openly how fed up they are as in recent days or becoming openly critical of their airline. I find this worrying because typically, employees are extremely careful not to do that even when they agree or to 'code' it, and at the moment, there seems to be almost no filter left, and that suggests to me that there is something broken which is perhaps quite fundamental.
Old Apr 15, 2022, 3:03 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Marriott LT Platinum
Originally Posted by JessicaB
This week I cancelled all my BA flights that don't involve Amex vouchers and rebooked on another airline. I've been loyal to BA for years and years but it is so bad now they have lost me.
I have a PMI coming up and will be using Ryanair. There isn't a lots of difference anymore when flying Y, unfortunately. Definitely not one justifying double the price. And I am rather sure the flight will actually operate.
Old Apr 15, 2022, 3:05 am

Originally Posted by orbitmic
I'm not entirely sure - yes, staff shortage is affecting others, but i have a feeling the situation with BA is worse than with most. I haven't heard similar stories with AF, IB, and LX, U2 has also cancelled some flights and it has been hard on passengers, but I haven't heard of similar levels of chaos as with BA (and have flown them four times in just over a week already without issue).

Rightly or wrongly, I have a feeling that with BA, staff's low spirits and tiredness with their management is acting as a multiplicator of the problems caused by more global issues. I have never had so many BA staff tell me openly how fed up they are as in recent days or becoming openly critical of their airline. I find this worrying because typically, employees are extremely careful not to do that even when they agree or to 'code' it, and at the moment, there seems to be almost no filter left, and that suggests to me that there is something broken which is perhaps quite fundamental.
It also seems that Sean has given up on sending his 'we understand', 'we are learning', 'we know it's not good', 'we are working hard' emails.
Old Apr 15, 2022, 3:12 am

Are bags likely to appear in the next day or so?
Have a visitor from London for Easter weekend here in Aberdeen. No bags and lots of activities planned. Will she be able to go buy some clothes/make up etc?
Old Apr 15, 2022, 3:15 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by aprilscot
Are bags likely to appear in the next day or so?
Have a visitor from London for Easter weekend here in Aberdeen. No bags and lots of activities planned. Will she be able to go buy some clothes/make up etc?
From other posts, 2 to 4 days is a typical delivery time. ABZ may be a bit better due to the number of flights in the mornings / lunch period. But yes she should buy clothes and make up. The best test is to buy things on the basis that you would not get them refunded - so as if you don't have a choice - but then to claim and I wouldn't expect a problem with refunds. Maximum £1300 per passenger.
wrp96 and aprilscot like this.
Old Apr 15, 2022, 3:56 am
Original Poster

Programs: Ba Silver ( for now!)
The people behind my friend on the Nice flight were on a cycling holiday and they bikes were in the hold.

Even if they hire a bike ( which I guess BA will pay for?) I suspect it would not be on par with the type of bike someone going on a cycling holiday would own

I fly to Mallorca multiple times a year. Other than peak summer the baggage carousel usually has many many bikes.
becks1 likes this.
Old Apr 15, 2022, 4:00 am
Original Poster

Programs: Ba Silver ( for now!)
Originally Posted by Duck1981
I have a PMI coming up and will be using Ryanair. There isn't a lots of difference anymore when flying Y, unfortunately. Definitely not one justifying double the price. And I am rather sure the flight will actually operate.
Absolutely - even in the pandemic they flew empty so as not to give refunds. I have a small claims at court at the moment about one of those!

I live in west London so Stansted is real hassle for me, but Ryanair are now the one airline that I actively avoid due to their Covid refund policies which compared to any other airline were just appalling,

I used to fly to La Rochelle where my boat used to be and at the time Ryanair were the only show in town. Once I arrived 1 min post gate closure ( the clocks had changed). would not let me on. I had to hire a car and drive back to Calais then the channel tunnel.

They used to have people at Stansted weighing bags and on a bonus for him many they caught over 10kg. They did a good trade.

They are very reliable and often very cheap but not for me any more!
becks1 likes this.
Old Apr 15, 2022, 4:06 am

Programs: OW Emerald (BA), UA*G, Marriott Plat, IC RA, Various others
Originally Posted by jeremyBA
The people behind my friend on the Nice flight were on a cycling holiday and they bikes were in the hold.

Even if they hire a bike ( which I guess BA will pay for?) I suspect it would not be on par with the type of bike someone going on a cycling holiday would own

I fly to Mallorca multiple times a year. Other than peak summer the baggage carousel usually has many many bikes.
I, too, knew someone on the NCE flight last eve. Luckily he was HBO, but the loud moans from passengers when advised no bags were loaded apparently sent the crew into hiding. It isn't their fault, obvs, but customers will vent to them. Poor lambs. I'm in little doubt many pax will 'lawyer-up' with this incident...NCE typically has such a swanky crowd who are able to do so easily.
wrp96 likes this.
Old Apr 15, 2022, 4:11 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Yes, BA would cover bike hire, or even purchase if there was no viable alternative, up to £1300 per passenger.
Old Apr 15, 2022, 4:14 am

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold;BA GGL; hhonors lifetime diamond; Marriott lt Gold; IH Plat Amb; Amex Centurion

Greetings from Berlin, where we flew yesterday from LCY, plus checked baggage and more or less on time. Maybe I am looking through rosy-tinted spectacles but it seems to me that there are very few cancellations or even delays at LCY and I wonder if the morale of Cityflyer employees is higher, feeding through to the sickness rates?
becks1 likes this.
Old Apr 15, 2022, 4:15 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Once I arrived 1 min post gate closure ( the clocks had changed). would not let me on.
Quite right too. Why should the rest of the flight be inconvenienced by somebody that can't tell the time?

I do love these posts where people throw in superfluous information such as "where my boat used to be"
Old Apr 15, 2022, 4:19 am

Programs: Executive Club
II have never had so many BA staff tell me openly how fed up they are as in recent days or becoming openly critical of their airline. I find this worrying because typically, employees are extremely careful not to do that even when they agree or to 'code' it, and at the moment, there seems to be almost no filter left, and that suggests to me that there is something broken which is perhaps quite fundamental.
I agree wholeheartedly. I was served breakfast by a cabin manager who said "I'm really embarrassed to serve this muck". On another flight the cabin crew weren't wearing masks even though they should have been, and mine said "they daren't sack us as we almost had to cancel the flight due to lack of staff. And almost everyone who is working onboard is looking for a new job, including both pilots". Once things go into meltdown it's hard to get a company back on track.
londonba2014 likes this.
Old Apr 15, 2022, 4:20 am

Absolutely - even in the pandemic they flew empty so as not to give refunds. I have a small claims at court at the moment about one of those!

I live in west London so Stansted is real hassle for me, but Ryanair are now the one airline that I actively avoid due to their Covid refund policies which compared to any other airline were just appalling,

I used to fly to La Rochelle where my boat used to be and at the time Ryanair were the only show in town. Once I arrived 1 min post gate closure ( the clocks had changed). would not let me on. I had to hire a car and drive back to Calais then the channel tunnel.

They used to have people at Stansted weighing bags and on a bonus for him many they caught over 10kg. They did a good trade.

They are very reliable and often very cheap but not for me any more!
I live Richmond so I have a trek Richmond-Vauxhall-Tottenham Hale-Stansted in front of me, but on that day I'll be by myself and have plenty of time (I think the price difference was £65 incl. bulkhead seats vs. £300 on BA).

Using BA on the way back though as the flight was cheaper than FR (only £36) but it defo will be HBO!
Old Apr 15, 2022, 4:21 am

Programs: Executive Club
Originally Posted by Duck1981
It also seems that Sean has given up on sending his 'we understand', 'we are learning', 'we know it's not good', 'we are working hard' emails.
Maybe he needs to put on Alex's hi-vis jacket, that seemed to solve the last baggage crisis
the810 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.