Wiki Posts
Search

BA Online seat selection does not work

Search this Thread

Old Apr 9, 2022, 6:59 am
Original Poster

Programs: Various airline, hotel and credit card programs
BA Online seat selection does not work

Just completed my booking YUL-PRG-YUL for July. As a Silver member, normally I am able to select seats of my choice at booking. This always worked quite well in the past.

This time, the BA reservations assigned seats to me that are OK but not my first choice. At the moment, I cannot change them, though.

I have read a lot about the BA IT system here and I am not really surprised. I hope that this is only one of many temporary glitches.

Anyone else with the same issue?
Old Apr 9, 2022, 7:04 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, AA PPro, Hyatt Globalist, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by Vaclav
Just completed my booking YUL-PRG-YUL for July. As a Silver member, normally I am able to select seats of my choice at booking. This always worked quite well in the past.

This time, the BA reservations assigned seats to me that are OK but not my first choice. At the moment, I cannot change them, though.

I have read a lot about the BA IT system here and I am not really surprised. I hope that this is only one of many temporary glitches.

Are you by chance trying to select exit row seats on a long haul flight? (you did not state what cabin you are in)

Silver can select seats at the time of booking, with the exception of exit row seats on long haul flights (some folks miss this nuance)

Regards
zdcatc12 likes this.
Old Apr 9, 2022, 7:08 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Honors Diamond
My first thought as you mentioned booking by phone, is that this has had to be sent off to be ticketed.

If your booking hasn't been ticketed yet you won't be able to select a seat.

If you go into the flight details page in the BA app right at the bottom there is a ticket number field, if this is blank then that's probably why.
Old Apr 9, 2022, 7:48 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by scubadu
Are you by chance trying to select exit row seats on a long haul flight? (you did not state what cabin you are in)

Silver can select seats at the time of booking, with the exception of exit row seats on long haul flights (some folks miss this nuance)

Regards
Of course that I am well aware of the requirements regarding exit row seats on long haul flights. I have been around for quite a while.

Also, I have been on BA94/BA95 many times over the last decade or so. That's why I would not expect any surprises of this kind.
Old Apr 9, 2022, 7:50 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by S_W_S
My first thought as you mentioned booking by phone, is that this has had to be sent off to be ticketed.

If your booking hasn't been ticketed yet you won't be able to select a seat.

If you go into the flight details page in the BA app right at the bottom there is a ticket number field, if this is blank then that's probably why.
My flight has been ticketed. In past, when booking on ba.com I was able to select the seats (Silver) during the booking process, even before the file for submitted for payment.

BA.com gives me a message 'online selection tool is not available', you can call us to change your seat. Not ready to spend my life on hold.
Old Apr 10, 2022, 2:04 am

Programs: BA, Avis, Amex
Originally Posted by scubadu

Regards
I do not think this is strictly true, I am currently Bronze and can select long-haul exist rows at any time (for a fee of course but still good deal if travelling in Y).
Readers may get the impassion that exit rows are blocked for silver (such as basinets seats at times).
Old Apr 10, 2022, 2:09 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond

what date is your YUL-LHR flight and LHR-YUL flight? Are you finding the same problem for your LHR-PRG and PRG-LHR flights?

I presume no complicating factors here, so just booked online as normal?

May be worth just leaving a day or so and re-trying. As you note, it should normally work.
Old Apr 10, 2022, 2:11 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium, Hilton and Wyndham Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Delta Plat, United Silver, Hertz PC
Of course that I am well aware of the requirements regarding exit row seats on long haul flights. I have been around for quite a while.

Also, I have been on BA94/BA95 many times over the last decade or so. That's why I would not expect any surprises of this kind.
How is anyone supposed to know that? Being a little testy with this reply.
kath2049 and Stormbel like this.
Old Apr 10, 2022, 4:41 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by KARFA
what date is your YUL-LHR flight and LHR-YUL flight? Are you finding the same problem for your LHR-PRG and PRG-LHR flights?

I presume no complicating factors here, so just booked online as normal?

May be worth just leaving a day or so and re-trying. As you note, it should normally work.
I have given it some time and it seems to be fine now. Thanks to all.
KARFA likes this.
Old Apr 10, 2022, 7:49 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, AA PPro, Hyatt Globalist, Amex Plat

Not sure why you are choosing to respond with this tone to an attempt to provide possible answers to a question you chose to ask, because, well... apparently you didn't have the answer even having "been around quite a while".

How is anyone here supposed to know that you've been "on BA94/BA95 many times over the last decade or so?"

Regards
Stormbel and zdcatc12 like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.