Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Best way to get to honolulu- lax or dfw?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 5, 2022, 12:18 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC silver
Best way to get to honolulu- lax or dfw?

Hi ,

My friend and I are looking to visit Honolulu in Oct/ Nov this year and the flights have a change over in either LA or Dallas. We both think we would prefer to stay overnight and connect to the honolulu flight after a nights sleep in a bed ( though we are flying business class) does anyone have any advice on which one will provide the most rest/ best plane experience its my friends first ride up front . Or is the consensus to grin and bare the extra hours and do it all in the one day. We will be in Hawaii for 11 days before coming back via Vegas for 4 nights before heading home.

thanks
Old Apr 5, 2022, 12:22 pm

Programs: BA Silver, ZSL Silver
To HNL (OGG is also an option) go via DFW. Stay at the airport and then have a flat bed the following day. If coming straight back to the UK I always recommend taking the early flight to LAX, as you can connect onto a service back to LHR the same day. It's not a flat bed, but the flight isn't too long and it's at the start of the trek home. Obviously there are more adventurous routings if TPs are your thing. Going to LAS I'd still recommend the early flight to LAX from HNL.
Old Apr 5, 2022, 12:24 pm

As you have no plans for an extended stay in either LAX or DFW, I’d just get on with the journey. LAX would probably end up being 60-90 minutes shorter overall, but don’t you get beds on DFW-HNL?
Old Apr 5, 2022, 12:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Falkirk, Scotland,VS Red, BA Gold, HH Diamond,UK Amex Plat
Programs: Master of the Privy Purse des Muccis
Hi,

The LAX flights are likely to be on A321s ( domestic US First class recliners) whereas DFW flights will be on widebody jets with lie flat seats ( looks like 787s on DFW HNL)
DFW HNL willl be longer ( 8hr 40 per aa.com) compared to LAX ( 5hr 30)

I have done LHR-LAX-HNL in one go a few years ago.It is a long day but you get to HNL late at night but you are in Hawaii

Regards

TBS
TedToToe and RJD1983 like this.
Old Apr 5, 2022, 12:28 pm

The OP will get lie flat beds on American if going via DFW directly to HNL in flagship business. One of the flights is fairly early (9amish) so you’ll still get to HNL around 1230pm local time.
Old Apr 5, 2022, 12:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA
DFW connections to Hawaii get international widebodies, lie flat seats, better meals, and lounge access. LAX will be shorter flights, usually on domestic narrowbodies, with recliner seats. If you are going to overnight anyways, the connection at DFW will be easier, especially if you stay at the Grand Hyatt DFW which is connected to Terminal D and literally directly above where you exit US immigration. For LAX, any hotels will involve a shuttle ride to and from LAX and dealing with LAX traffic.

Another option is to connect at SEA to AS.
Synapseturquoise likes this.
Old Apr 5, 2022, 12:57 pm

Programs: BA Gold, B6 Mosiac, VS, AA, DL (and a legacy UA 2MM)
Originally Posted by gustavmahler
To HNL (OGG is also an option) go via DFW. Stay at the airport and then have a flat bed the following day. If coming straight back to the UK I always recommend taking the early flight to LAX, as you can connect onto a service back to LHR the same day. It's not a flat bed, but the flight isn't too long and it's at the start of the trek home. Obviously there are more adventurous routings if TPs are your thing. Going to LAS I'd still recommend the early flight to LAX from HNL.
Yeah, it's too bad that AA doesn't fly their 787s with the lie flat in the afternoons - DFW->HNL. It would be nice not to have to stop overnight on ones way to this lovely tropical paradise!
Old Apr 5, 2022, 1:00 pm

Programs: BA Silver (temp demotion), *A Silver, HH Gold, IHG Diamond
For the best aircraft experience, lie flats out of DFW are like flying CW vs CE if you choose the 321 out of LAX. (We did it to OGG rather than HNL).

Flagship lounge access and an 8 hour flight at reasonable times makes it a very good choice. I’d do that option again (including the AS out of SEA which is another long single day option but also AS has similarly poor seats).

The downsides? You get there a day later and the overnight will cost. We passed on the airport Hyatt and hit downtown, easy enough to do (30 min cab) but in total ca $400 for the cab and hotel.
Old Apr 5, 2022, 1:07 pm

Programs: BA Blue, Marriott Plat Life, UA Silver (thx Marriott), IHG Gold, Accor Plat, Hilton Diamond
I don't know if it's still possible but we did MAN-LHR-LAX (First), then LAX-HNL (Y) all in one go. Like The Banking Scot says, it's a long day, but you get to HNL in the evening, have a quick wander and go to bed, then you're in the timezone.

T
Old Apr 5, 2022, 1:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
We have done 3 HI trips from JER, always via LAX, and found the last TPAC leg a real PITA. I wish we’d discovered the DFW option, as it was really hard work for older folks!

TRs via my signature, I think
endoman likes this.
Old Apr 5, 2022, 1:13 pm

Programs: BA Gold
Did the LAX- Kona version many years ago on AA, but business. Last leg was brutal. I'd for sure do DFW if doing it again. I was like a Zombie driving the rental car from Kona Airport.
T8191 likes this.
Old Apr 5, 2022, 1:30 pm
Fontaine d'honneur du Flyertalk

Programs: Reine des Muccis de Pucci; Foreign Elitist (according to others)
I go to HNL regularly as I have an apartment that I rent out in Waikiki and need to go there whenever possible to inspections. I prefer a wide jet aircraft and DFW has them. The LAX aircraft are fine, and I’m not one to fuss over this or that aircraft and I do not require a sleeper seat for a 5 hour daylight service. Immigration is much easier at DFW I find and. They are frequently odious at LAX.

For the return I always travel on the first flight out to LAX. It arrives in plenty of time to go to the Qantas Lounge when open, and connect to the last BA flight home. I’m afraid that the hospitality aboard AA last time that I foolishly accepted to fly them has put me off the LA crew base for good. I sleep and arrive in London fit to transfer to CDG to go home.
Old Apr 5, 2022, 1:51 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC silver
Thank you all for your replies ,
Looks ike the Dallas one has the most going for it. I will check out the Hyatt and join their programme as we are thinking of staying in the Hyatt Waikiki. Thanks for the links to your TRs T7191 will have a read through them for tips .Lucky you Pucci lovely place to have to visit . This trip is possible because of covid, shielded for short of 18 months and going to blow all the money managed to save on something I never thought Id get to do…..silver linings and all that.
Old Apr 5, 2022, 2:03 pm

I would seriously consider connecting in SEA instead, pre-covid there were some fantastically quick connections there. Or PDX, when/if that returns to the schedule. Immigration will be a breeze there.
Old Apr 5, 2022, 2:25 pm

We did this a few weeks ago on Virgin and Delta, and overnighted in LAX. This was the 4th attempt in 2 years, and I deliberately planned to have a day stopover as initially a new COVID test was required to get into HNL.

In the end, it made for a relaxing journey and I would do it again that way. A LAX airport hotel would usually be cheaper than a HNL hotel so we considered it a day of the holiday. It depends how highly you value your time.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.