Search

9-10 April cancellation thread

Search this Thread

Old Apr 4, 2022, 7:47 am
PZE
Original Poster

Programs: BA Bronze, KrisFlyer Silver
9-10 April cancellation thread

Following the wave of cancellations and delays at LHR this weekend, I guess we will be expecting something similar next weekend after all the remaining schools break up for Easter and create another holiday rush, so thought it would be useful to have a thread to track cancellations as they appear. [Mods - I couldn't see another thread tracking this but please move/merge if it should be somewhere else]

Declaring an interest, I'm due out on BA840 to ZAG on Sunday evening, which was one of the flights cancelled yesterday (I'm not sure how far in advance, but I think it was Saturday or earlier). I'm hoping it either survives or is cancelled by Friday morning since rearranging travel from Penzance at short notice isn't completely straightforward.

What other cancellations and changes are people aware of so far?

[edit to add: for completeness, I am only flying at the weekend because BA840 on Tuesday 12th was cancelled about 4 weeks ago, and I rescheduled to the 10th before seeing the scale of recent weekends' meltdowns]

Last edited by PZE; Apr 4, 2022 at 11:28 am Reason: Update on earlier cancelled flight
Old Apr 4, 2022, 8:02 am

We're due back to Gatwick from LPA BA2601 this Saturday, so will follow this, did it fly this Saturday?
Old Apr 4, 2022, 8:08 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Miles and More(FTL), IHG(Platinum), Accor, HHonors(Diamond), SPG, Hertz Five Star
Originally Posted by paulaf
We're due back to Gatwick from LPA BA2601 this Saturday, so will follow this, did it fly this Saturday?
yes

British Airways flight BA2601 - Flightradar24

I think there are less issues at LGW
paulaf likes this.
Old Apr 4, 2022, 8:14 am

I really wouldn’t assume that a cancellation this weekend just gone means anything in terms of what will be picked next weekend.

In fact, it’s just as likely to end up the opposite way round… e.g. in case they want to fly to keep a slot, or have a higher pax load because of the knock-on effect of lots of rebooking.

I appreciate as humans we like to seek patterns, but there really aren’t any here.
LETTERBOY likes this.
Old Apr 4, 2022, 8:36 am

Programs: BA, TK, EK
Looking around some short-haul destinations for the coming week (as at 1520 BST 4th April):
EDI - one cancellation 5th
GLA - all scheduled
BHD - all scheduled
MAN - one cancellation 5th
AMS - one cancellation 5th
BRU - all scheduled
CDG - one cancellation 5th
FRA - all scheduled
MAD - one cancellation 5th

All coded OPER for now. I'll keep an eye on these routes during the week, my guess would be that predictions are being made based on staff absences and loads the day before and they're trying to take the pressure off by consolidating high-frequency routes.
Additionally it seems that many routes (EDI, GLA, AMS at least) are zeroed apart from full Y and J until and including 17th April. This does not appear to affect LGW or LCY flights from the same destinations. I don't *think* this is normal, but am happy to be corrected.
PZE, Ryanfozzie and becks1 like this.
Old Apr 4, 2022, 9:55 am

Programs: BA Gold, IHG Diamond
Have an OSL rotation for 8th Apr BA762 that seems to keep getting intermittently cancelled (was cancelled last Tuesday, Thursday and today)... hopefully they operate the Friday service; otherwise might need to emergency book the FR, SK or DY morning.
Old Apr 4, 2022, 10:34 am

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by paulaf
Yes. It was half an hour late departing due to delayed incoming flight, but otherwise it was a great flight. And the arrival process at LGW was perfect - no queues at immigration and relatively speedy baggage return, with real priority for Club bags.
paulaf likes this.
Old Apr 4, 2022, 10:50 am

Programs: Mucci, BAEC, Eurostar
I'm more worried for the following weekend to be honest. It'll be the end of school holidays and of the long easter weekend. That could leave a lot of UK residents stranded abroad...
Old Apr 4, 2022, 10:55 am
PZE
Original Poster

Programs: BA Bronze, KrisFlyer Silver
Originally Posted by alex67500
I'm more worried for the following weekend to be honest. It'll be the end of school holidays and of the long easter weekend. That could leave a lot of UK residents stranded abroad...
Well, look on the bright side - depending on the level of cancellations this weekend maybe none of us will make it abroad in order to create more chaos (I'm heading back on Tuesday 19th which I hope will be a lull between the peaks of "back for the working week" and "back in time for term starting on Monday 25th".)

More seriously, I can see that large numbers arriving back into LHR/LGW could create the usual havoc at immigration and baggage reclaim, but will that have the same impact on the ability to turn aircraft round as the delays we see at the start of the holiday with check-in/security being overwhelmed at the London airports?
Old Apr 4, 2022, 11:02 am

Programs: BA Silver
I was booked on BA0704 LHR-VIE, 7th April. Flight was cancelled (some weeks ago though). I’m rebooked to BA0706. Not holding my breath though.
becks1 likes this.
Old Apr 4, 2022, 12:20 pm

Stressing this weekend pretty badly. Have made three attempts to get back to the US since 2020 and all have gone wrong for one reason or another. This will be the fourth, and the wheels already feel like they're coming off.
Old Apr 4, 2022, 12:44 pm

Programs: AC 50K, *A Gold
Is what's happening with BA truely affecting the whole system and operations at LHR that bad?

Desperatly in need of a ticket out of LHR on April 12th but BA has zero'ed out all inventory for my destinationand surrounding cities. Unable to do another airport as I arrive from Canada at 630AM into LHR.

What is the opinion on whether or not this will be sorted out by next week?
Old Apr 4, 2022, 1:19 pm

Programs: BA Gold & HH Silver
Originally Posted by royal757
Is what's happening with BA truely affecting the whole system and operations at LHR that bad?

Desperatly in need of a ticket out of LHR on April 12th but BA has zero'ed out all inventory for my destinationand surrounding cities. Unable to do another airport as I arrive from Canada at 630AM into LHR.

Are you able to advise your final destination so we can look at possible alternatives?
The _Banking_Scot likes this.
Old Apr 4, 2022, 1:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Falkirk, Scotland,VS Red, BA Gold, HH Diamond,UK Amex Plat
Programs: Master of the Privy Purse des Muccis
Originally Posted by royal757

hi

Where are you trying to get to?
I suspect that with busier traffic in the week before easter any impact could worse
I think the issues are due to a multitude of factors

It issues
Not enough staff
For the staff working additional shortages due to covid

However a lot of flights are leaving albeit with some delays.
Regards
tbs
Old Apr 4, 2022, 1:43 pm

Programs: AC 50K, *A Gold
Originally Posted by BLHD
Are you able to advise your final destination so we can look at possible alternatives?
My final destination is Nice (NCE) on April 12th. Thanks!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.