Wiki Posts
Search

Delayed/Lost bags: claim for expenses?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 2, 2022, 7:55 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA GGL, TK E (*G), ITA exec
Delayed/Lost bags: claim for expenses?

BA checkin desk at AMS messed up tagging our bags for an AMS- LHR-JFK-LAX-LAS itinerary, with overnight in NY.
At boarding in AMS we were called at the desk and warned that something went wrong with at least one bag (or which the checkin agent didn't give us a tag) and they didn't know where it was.

In the end, both Bags didn't arrive at JFK . LHR-JFK was on AA. Baggage service desk told us to open a claim tomorrow at the final destination.

My question is, to whom we have to submit receipts for essential purchases reimbursement? AA as the last carrier? Or BA that made a mistake at the beginning?

And if the bags don't show up at all? We packed for a 10 days road trip and we will have to buy everything...

We have also insurance, but I don't want to rely only on that regarding claiming for expenses

thank you!
Old Apr 2, 2022, 10:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Sorry for your misfortune. But I do not understand how you could have left the check-in desk at AMS with a baggage receipt for only one bag when you checked two. As a result, you may have difficulty making a successful claim on the bag for which you have no receipt.

Your bag(s) still might show up in LAS -- maybe even before you do. If they do not, your claim would be with AA. Note that the insurance that you have for lost/delayed baggage might be secondary to whatever AA pays. Check the terms of your policy.
Lefly likes this.
Old Apr 2, 2022, 11:17 pm

Programs: BA Silver, Hilton Diamond, BD Blue (RIP)
The last carrier is always the person to speak to. They may end up having an argument behind the scenes about who actually covers the cost but that doesn’t concern you. Despite the US requiring you to recheck bags at your entry point, the bags aren’t officially lost until they don’t show up in Las Vegas. When you get there, head to AA baggage services and submit your claim. The lack of tag number may be a bit of an issue but the staff tend to be fairly on the ball so just explain what happened and get a report.
Lefly likes this.
Old Apr 2, 2022, 11:40 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

How much does your travel insurance cover for delayed baggage? If you only need to spend within that limit, then it would be easiest just to claim off of that

If you need to claim, just claim against AA
Lefly likes this.
Old Apr 3, 2022, 2:20 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by guv1976
Sorry for your misfortune. But I do not understand how you could have left the check-in desk at AMS with a baggage receipt for only one bag when you checked two.
The agent gave us 2 tags for 1 bag due to the number of stops (3 on 1 tag, 1 on the other, but same number). I was a bit distracted at the time and didn't realize the issues. She was a bit inexperienced, I think.

Originally Posted by Dave Noble
How much does your travel insurance cover for delayed baggage? If you only need to spend within that limit, then it would be easiest just to claim off of that

If you need to claim, just claim against AA
400 eur for a 4h delay, 1000 eur for a +48h delay.
We sure need to buy a change of clothes for this morning... then let's hope the bags will turn up in LAS.

Thank you everyone
Old Apr 3, 2022, 2:51 am

Claiming from insurance will be quicker and easier compared to claiming from AA . If your claim is within the imsurance limits , would be a no brainer to claim from it. If the claim will be more than that , then check whether the insurance will only pay up as long as you do not also claim separately against the airline and work accordingly

The airline is liable up to XDR1288 ( EUR1609 ) per person. Were the bags checked in under 1 passenger's name or each under a separate passenger? If separate, then the liability is XDR1288 per bag rather than XDR1288 total
Old Apr 3, 2022, 3:09 am

Genuine question on how this works. My insurance (Amex Gold) was pretty clear that I needed to exhaust the airline process before they would entertain the claim last time something went wrong. Is that unusual or do you guys just claim anyway?
Old Apr 3, 2022, 3:27 am

Originally Posted by sigma421
Genuine question on how this works. My insurance (Amex Gold) was pretty clear that I needed to exhaust the airline process before they would entertain the claim last time something went wrong. Is that unusual or do you guys just claim anyway?
I don't know what your Amex Gold policy states, but my American Express insurance has no such requirement

I have easily claimed delayed baggage ( max $900 per insured ) directly from Amex's insurance
Old Apr 3, 2022, 3:50 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
It will vary by company, but some companies will intervene early in order to minimise their loss. The wording on my policy, from Staysure, generally considered one of the good guys in this industry, says in the not covered section that "any claim where you are able to claim from another insurance covering this risk, or the airline with which you travelled, we will only pay for any balance outstanding."
Old Apr 3, 2022, 3:54 am

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
It will vary by company, but some companies will intervene early in order to minimise their loss. The wording on my policy, from Staysure, generally considered one of the good guys in this industry, says in the not covered section that "any claim where you are able to claim from another insurance covering this risk, or the airline with which you travelled, we will only pay for any balance outstanding."
Yup - that's effectively what my Amex policy says. Never had an issue claiming from the airline so have generally used the figures in the policy as a limit since I see the policy as a backstop.
Old Apr 3, 2022, 4:38 am
Original Poster

Slight problem. We can't file a lost bag report until in LAS, but we would like to buy a change of clothes this morning. If the bags show up in LAS, we can't file anything... how we demonstrate to AA or Amex that we didn't get the bags yesterday in order to claim for essentials reimbursement?

By the way, no news as this morning when we asked AA for bag status. Every one says to wait when at destination
Old Apr 3, 2022, 4:52 am

Originally Posted by Lefly
Slight problem. We can't file a lost bag report until in LAS, but we would like to buy a change of clothes this morning. If the bags show up in LAS, we can't file anything... how we demonstrate to AA or Amex that we didn't get the bags yesterday in order to claim for essentials reimbursement?

By the way, no news as this morning when we asked AA for bag status. Every one says to wait when at destination
The bags aren't officially lost until they don't turn up at the place you checked them into. Them not turning up at a point where you have to do a recheck due to customs regulations etc. doesn't count. I know that seems mad and frustrating but it's how the system works. You can of course buy things but you may struggle with reimbursement if the receipt times are before the flight was due to land. I've never tried this so don't know how you'd get on.
mnhusker likes this.
Old Apr 3, 2022, 4:56 am

Programs: AA Gold
Can anyone give me a rough idea of what we can spend to replace items in bags that will (according to BA) be delayed over 48hrs in reaching us? Arrived in Inverness last night late and no bags (passengers were told that there were no staff to load bags! after 7hr layover in Heathrow). Was told bags would be on this morning's flight, but no. Now told will be tomorrow night's flight and we are due to catch ferry to Isle of Harris in the morning. Asked about tonight's flight and was told that once they are in system for tomorrow night's flight, it cant be changed!! Is this correct or B.S? Thanks for any help, info and advice.
Old Apr 3, 2022, 4:59 am

Originally Posted by luvthesun
Can anyone give me a rough idea of what we can spend to replace items in bags that will (according to BA) be delayed over 48hrs in reaching us? Arrived in Inverness last night late and no bags (passengers were told that there were no staff to load bags! after 7hr layover in Heathrow). Was told bags would be on this morning's flight, but no. Now told will be tomorrow night's flight and we are due to catch ferry to Isle of Harris in the morning. Asked about tonight's flight and was told that once they are in system for tomorrow night's flight, it cant be changed!! Is this correct or B.S? Thanks for any help, info and advice.
It's a tricky one to judge and while it's annoying language, what matters is that you are 'reasonable'. When my bag went missing for 3 days in LA, I spent around £300. My travel insurance offers £200 for a 4-48 hour delay and an additional £200 for 48 hours+ so I used that as my guideline. I think anything around £200 per person would be reasonable. A change of clothes for each day at Zara/M&S type prices, required toiletries and maybe gym stuff/formal stuff if what you're doing necessitates it always struck me as okay. AA didn't bat an eyelid when I put in my claim for that.
luvthesun likes this.
Old Apr 3, 2022, 5:01 am
Original Poster

The bags aren't officially lost until they don't turn up at the place you checked them into. Them not turning up at a point where you have to do a recheck due to customs regulations etc. doesn't count. I know that seems mad and frustrating but it's how the system works. You can of course buy things but you may struggle with reimbursement if the receipt times are before the flight was due to land. I've never tried this so don't know how you'd get on.
The frustration is because it was an overnight. We didn't have to recheck them until the day after, so they had inside also the necessary for the night stay.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.