Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

The password for your "britishairways.com" account has appeared in a data leak...

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The password for your "britishairways.com" account has appeared in a data leak...

Search this Thread

Old Mar 30, 2022, 4:35 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club
Original Poster

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold. GGL/CCR.
Originally Posted by trolleymusic
Yeah, the links in the Safari home page alerts like this take you to the site of the compromised account, so in this case britishairways.com to give you a little push to change your password.

I think that's really weird golfmad - if it's a 1Password generated password then it's going to be properly unique, so this means that there's been a leak of plaintext passwords from BA. They're not necessarily going to have the email stored next to them, but all the details I can find about the known BA data breach are that it included "customer details", nothing about passwords 😕
Originally Posted by ModestPointsCollector

Safari does have this built in warning but the UI for could be improved massively by not putting in a suspicious link. Not sure how, maybe by telling you go to keychain and go to the change password page of the website instead of just the link.

As far as I know, the check doesn't align the username with your password, it just looks to see if that password has been in any of its leak sources anywhere, not necessarily against your username. For the security conscious, it doesn't pass/check full plain text passwords, I assume there's some cryptgraphic hashing or similar used. But the best course of action is what you've done and to just change your BA password to a new complex password.
The only thing I can think of which seems improbable is that someone else had the exact same password as me. That password appeared in a list of hacked passwords. Safari found that entry and noticed I was using it with British Airways and alerted me. If this theory is correct then there's nothing to suggest that this has anything to do with a BA data leak. To check this theory I have downloaded a very large database of hacked passwords from the National Institute of Standards and Technology (NIST). The latest version is dated December 2021 and is 18GB which is not too bad with a 500MB connection and took about 6 minutes. Just waiting for it to unzip which may take some time... There are in excess of 600 million records in there.

If the password is in that database it would provide a neat answer that is most likely nothing to do with me or BA. Just some random coincidence that Safari spotted. I will report back.
Old Mar 30, 2022, 4:40 am
uhm

Programs: FSPP | Virtuoso | MO Fan Club
Originally Posted by golfmad
Yes, that was the first site I looked at but the main search facility only checks against email addresses or phone numbers and my details are not listed. I am currently downloading the full set of passwords from that site in order to run a search there.

As I said in post 1 that was the first thing I did.
You can use the API to check your password against pwned passwords. First, calculate a SHA1 hash of your password. If you don't know how, you can do so at https://emn178.github.io/online-tools/sha1.html At the time of writing this site does not send entered data anywhere, but calculates the hash in your browser. Of course, that could change at any time.

For example: if you enter "password" (without the quotes) on that site you should get this result "5baa61e4c9b93f3f0682250b6cf8331b7ee68fd8"

Take the first 5 characters (5baa6) of the hash and query it against the API like this:
https://api.pwnedpasswords.com/range/5baa6
You'll get a long list of random looking letters, now use ctrl-f to search for the last part of the hash (1e4c9b93f3f0682250b6cf8331b7ee68fd8 for the purposes of our example)

If you don't get any results, your password is not in the pwned passwords database.

If you do get a result, it will look like this: 1E4C9B93F3F0682250B6CF8331B7EE68FD8:9545824
The number after the : indicates how many times this password has been seen by pwned passwords.
YYCCL3 likes this.
Old Mar 30, 2022, 4:46 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by uhm
You can use the API to check your password against pwned passwords. First, calculate a SHA1 hash of your password. If you don't know how, you can do so at https://emn178.github.io/online-tools/sha1.html At the time of writing this site does not send entered data anywhere, but calculates the hash in your browser. Of course, that could change at any time.

For example: if you enter "password" (without the quotes) on that site you should get this result "5baa61e4c9b93f3f0682250b6cf8331b7ee68fd8"

Take the first 5 characters (5baa6) of the hash and query it against the API like this:
https://api.pwnedpasswords.com/range/5baa6
You'll get a long list of random looking letters, now use ctrl-f to search for the last part of the hash (1e4c9b93f3f0682250b6cf8331b7ee68fd8 for the purposes of our example)

If you don't get any results, your password is not in the pwned passwords database.

If you do get a result, it will look like this: 1E4C9B93F3F0682250B6CF8331B7EE68FD8:9545824
The number after the : indicates how many times this password has been seen by pwned passwords.
Excellent suggestion. Thanks for that. I followed your instructions and... drum roll... it's not in there. Thanks for the step by step. Very useful.

[The 600m+ list of hacked passwords that I downloaded is still expanding.]
Old Mar 30, 2022, 6:56 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Yes, that was the first site I looked at but the main search facility only checks against email addresses or phone numbers and my details are not listed. I am currently downloading the full set of passwords from that site in order to run a search there.
Just click on the passwords tab and enter your password :-

https://haveibeenpwned.com/Passwords

I've had the same thing happen on my iPhone for my main Google account - again, a unique password used only for Google. I suspect it's an Apple bug of some sort.
golfmad and Tobias-UK like this.
Old Mar 30, 2022, 8:15 am

Programs: Alaska, AA, Marriott
Originally Posted by 1P
Posts purporting to come from credit card issuers, banks and others claiming that you need to reconfirm your security details are an almost daily occurrence these days. This Safari example is just another one.
No, this is a real feature: https://www.macworld.com/article/553...d-warning.html
Old Mar 30, 2022, 10:13 am
1P

Location: LAX and LHR. UA lifetime Gold 1.9MM 1K , DL Gold Medallion, HHonors Gold, Marriott Gold, Avis President's Club
Originally Posted by thatmikereed
Another reason to stick with Android.....
Old Mar 30, 2022, 10:39 am

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by 1P
Another reason to stick with Android.....
Chrome and Edge have a similar feature, you can get prompted about potential password pwnage on any OS.
Old Mar 30, 2022, 1:27 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by DYKWIA
Just click on the passwords tab and enter your password :-

https://haveibeenpwned.com/Passwords

I've had the same thing happen on my iPhone for my main Google account - again, a unique password used only for Google. I suspect it's an Apple bug of some sort.
Thanks. I can confirm that the password I had used until yesterday is not present in the pwned database at all. It's also not present in the hacked password database that I downloaded. As a result I have no why Safari warned me about it.
Old Mar 30, 2022, 2:20 pm

Programs: Alaska, AA, Marriott
Thanks. I can confirm that the password I had used until yesterday is not present in the pwned database at all. It's also not present in the hacked password database that I downloaded. As a result I have no why Safari warned me about it.
It's possible you have an old password still stored in Keychain somewhere, too, and it matched that one.
adrianlondon and trolleymusic like this.
Old Mar 30, 2022, 2:23 pm
Original Poster

It's possible you have an old password still stored in Keychain somewhere, too, and it matched that one.
Very good thinking!! I shall check that out now...
Old Mar 30, 2022, 2:27 pm
Original Poster

Spot on!

My wife's current (eek) password (which is in my keychain on my machine as well) is in the database. I have tried to drag her into the 1Password age but I'm having to do it one password at a time. I'm off to change hers now. Thanks for the suggestion. I think that this has solved the mystery and well done Safari!
Old Mar 30, 2022, 2:38 pm

Programs: IHG Spire, National Exec, AA Plat
Originally Posted by LCY8737
You can check https://haveibeenpwned.com/ to see if your account has been included in data breaches.

If I were you I'd change that password. Even if it is complex, the fact that it showed up in a previous breach makes it less secure.
Hopefully you have unique passwords for every site. If that is the case, you will only need to change your main password manager pw, and the BA password. Should be < 5 minutes to do both and you'll be secure again for the future.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.