Community
Wiki Posts
Search

It's who you know...

Search this Thread

Old Mar 29, 2022, 9:39 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by greenchicken
Ah well, maybe I am being over grumpy. I shall go out and try and befriend some pilots.
I have one pilot friend, but he flies for WizzAir (an airline I fly with relatively frequently, but that limits somewhat what I might be offered), so be picky with who you befriend if you want anything slightly decadent
Old Mar 29, 2022, 9:49 am

Originally Posted by NickB
Yes, nepotism exists in all walks of life (although not necessarily to the same extent everywhere) but it is not difficult to understand why some people find it distasteful, even where it is an accepted, lawful and even institutionalised practice. In that sense, I can see where the OP is coming from, even though it is not something that I would care much about in this context and that would spoil my enjoyment of the service.
I used to let my wife talk to airplanes on the mid-shifts. Not much of an "upgrade"
Old Mar 29, 2022, 9:54 am

Programs: BA GGL, BA Amex Prem, Amex Plat, Hilton Diamond, Sir Crazy8534 de l'ordres des aides de Pucci
Yes, Captain's prerogative / doors-closed upgrade.

I have a friend who in turn is best friends with a BA captain and he always buys WT and usually flies CW or F with BA- the friend finds out what flight he is on and then emails the relevant captain in advance.
It is what it is- a perk of being a BA captain, which isn't something easy to achieve.

I have never had an op-up, but then I don't give BA much chance...

Originally Posted by Tobias-UK
I remember taking my then 13-year-old son with me on a business trip to New York at Thanksgiving, I didn't want to spoil him so booked us in Premium Economy. BA scuppered that and upgraded us in both directions to Club. The lad was excited and before we'd even sat down with obvious delight he was telling the person across the aisle we'd been upgraded!

He was quickly trained on upgrade etiquette thereafter.
For some reason this reminded me of trying to keep a moderately low profile entry into an AA J cabin at the front of an A330 with the full complement of cost centres in tow.
My (at the time) quite young kids bounced on board and the youngest jumped onto his seat to find a plastic bottle of water and proudly turned around to shout at me "look Daddy, free water....!!".

The other occupants, most of whom I imagined had paid $$$, certainly found it amusing!
FlightDetective and wrp96 like this.
Old Mar 29, 2022, 9:55 am

As a general principle I think you should always try to befriend a pilot, they (we) are strange creatures who need all the friends they can get.😁
Old Mar 29, 2022, 10:10 am

The only time I've ever been aware of something like this was when I had a seat change on an A380 but there was someone in the seat when I boarded. The CSD made a point of explaining when I boarded that it was broken but a standby would be taking it. Turned out to be the captains wife, the seat did indeed not recline and we had a nice chat in the galley about her trip to Singapore. Otherwise either it doesn't happen very often or everyone is very discreet about it!

Virgin on the other hand I've witnessed it multiple times in their PE where "tagalongs" have been indiscretely upgraded to PE onboard and they and their new crew friends have spent the flight being noisy together to the point where I had to have a word once which is most unlike me!
Old Mar 29, 2022, 10:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BAEC Gold, Delta Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, AMEX Platinum (US)
Originally Posted by trains
But if BA have declared it against their rules for cabin crew (as opposed to pilots) to give upgrades and customers see that crew are breaking those rules, then it wouldn't be a surprise if some customers were uncomfortable with that should they happen to know BA's policy.
Maybe I'm misunderstanding but if they're doing something that's against BA policy and that infringement has nothing to do with said busybody passenger why should said busybody be uncomfortable?

If I see a lounge agent give discretion and allow someone in front of me to bring an extra guest into the lounge should I be uncomfortable? Perhaps only in the literal sense if they took the very last seat...
Old Mar 29, 2022, 10:26 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Blimey, just be happy for the guy. Other people get upgraded all the time for all sorts of legitimate reasons. As long as there is no impact on what you get, why does it matter? It seems some on here speak as if all involved in the upgrade should be carted off and put in prison.
Old Mar 29, 2022, 10:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
We were upgraded just once (IAD-LHR) … we were in WT+ as there was sadly no UUA available on the return sector. Amazingly at the Gate, assigned new seats in J, which was where we usually travelled. No personal relationships were involved, so we can only assume someone somewhere took sympathy over our unusual travel pattern on that day.

I know some ATCOs married Pilots, but IMO that’s a step too far. 🤪 👨🏻‍✈️
Old Mar 29, 2022, 10:53 am

Programs: BA Gold; Hilton Honors Diamond
I am usually a model of discretion when it comes to upgrades but ironically I was actually "outed" by a member of cabin crew following an OpUp from LAX to LHR many years ago.

When they were taking my meal order in CW the member of CC loudly stated "Oh Mr Geordie405 you may not get your first choice as you're an upgrade" which caused a few pointed looks, loud sighing and some tutting from other passengers in earshot. However, the general consensus seemed to be that there was no need for the CC to have said what they said. The CSD clearly thought so too, as there was an apology from him and an acceptance that nothing needed to have been said at the seat and if they couldn't fulfil everyone's meal choice it could have been dealt with via the normal processes.
Old Mar 29, 2022, 11:05 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Miles and More(FTL), IHG(Platinum), Accor, HHonors(Diamond), SPG, Hertz Five Star
Originally Posted by KARFA
Blimey, just be happy for the guy. Other people get upgraded all the time for all sorts of legitimate reasons. As long as there is no impact on what you get, why does it matter? It seems some on here speak as if all involved in the upgrade should be carted off and put in prison.
I really think here the issue is how an understandbly excited student age person publicly flaunting his good fortune may not have sat comfortably if you have paid several hundreds of pounds for the same upgrade.

I am sure if its not already happened to the OP they will also find occasionally they will get a "managers discount" or allowed in somewhere that is "full" or seated at a particularly good table or similar because they are being looked after by someone.
Old Mar 29, 2022, 11:11 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by scottishpoet
I really think here the issue is how an understandbly excited student age person publicly flaunting his good fortune may not have sat comfortably if you have paid several hundreds of pounds for the same upgrade.
Yes, and I guess top tip when you get an upgrade not strictly due to oversold cabins (which I am sure we all have sometimes ) is don't broadcast it just in case it gets reported and you get judged by the court of FT

At the end of the day he was a young guy and perhaps a little over excited so broadcast it a bit too much. We have all perhaps said or done things when we were younger which years later we think we could have done better. Unfortunately wisdom and judgement only come with age.
Old Mar 29, 2022, 11:17 am

Programs: DL Gold
Originally Posted by orbitmic
Exactly. I wonder if those who think it is fine would be as lenient if, say, the 'son of' or 'wife of' is not charged interest on their overdraft like the rest of us because of their family relationship with a banking top executive, escape a driving fine because of daddy's position in the police, or get an assistant job in Parliament as a family member of an MP.

Regardless of what one thinks of nepotism and special treatment, even where it doesn't deprive anyone else of what they are entitled to, and even where we talk of a walk of life where a practice which used to be rife has not yet been formally disallowed, I find it incredibly crass of the beneficiary to talk about the way they were treated due to family protection and i totally see how the op would feel mildly peeved by it. Put simply, that young man should at the very least learn the virtues of discretion.
Funny you should mention driving fines. My dad, because of his job, was buddies with the sheriff in our county and carried in his wallet a "Sheriff's Courtesy Card" that he presented along with his driver's license when he was stopped by a local cop in our county. He said it worked like a charm for minor infractions.
gustavmahler likes this.
Old Mar 29, 2022, 11:17 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Miles and More(FTL), IHG(Platinum), Accor, HHonors(Diamond), SPG, Hertz Five Star
Originally Posted by KARFA
Yes, and I guess top tip when you get an upgrade not strictly due to oversold cabins (which I am sure we all have sometimes ) is don't broadcast it just in case it gets reported and you get judged by the court of FT

At the end of the day he was a young guy and perhaps a little over excited so broadcast it a bit too much. We have all perhaps said or done things when we were younger which years later we think we could have done better. Unfortunately wisdom and judgement only come with age.
I wonder how much older I need to get before wisdom and judgement come!!
Old Mar 29, 2022, 11:21 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
Originally Posted by Detroiter
Funny you should mention driving fines. My dad, because of his job, was buddies with the sheriff in our county and carried in his wallet a "Sheriff's Courtesy Card" that he presented along with his driver's license when he was stopped by a local cop in our county. He said it worked like a charm for minor infractions.
I can assure you that it categorically doesn’t work in the U.K. Likely to make things worse.
simonsmith and choosethedrew like this.
Old Mar 29, 2022, 11:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Originally Posted by scottishpoet
I wonder how much older I need to get before wisdom and judgement come!!
Still working on it, and still failing quite often! Perhaps 78 is the cut-off point?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.