Community
Wiki Posts
Search

It's who you know...

Search this Thread

Old Mar 31, 2022, 1:27 am

Programs: BA GfL
Originally Posted by 13901
Frankly, it's not a comparison that holds up.

Doors closed, that seat isn't going to be sold. End of. There's no extra cost, no extra lost revenue. Sure, perhaps the staffer will have a glass or two from a champagne bottle that's going to be open anyway, and thrown out at the end of the flight, or a meal that will suffer the same fate.

As for people 'selling upgrades': it's really hard to do for onboard 'bump-ups'. You need to know exactly on which flight you'll be on. Then, you need to know that the SCCM/Captain will be onboard with you doing this, and since there's been a spate of snitching people are legitimately nervous about doing this. And, yes, some bright minds have tried selling their Premium Standbys or J-Class concessions on eBay. They didn't stay long in the company...

If FTers are so outraged at the thought of BA crews looking after one another, may I suggest flying with Finnair instead? I once used them on duty travel, while I worked for BA, to return from a trip to China. I had Business class priority, but at check-in I was put in Economy (middle seat!) as "I was staff". I thought, oh well, Business must be full, so didn't press on it. I then proceeded to board last, offered my paperwork to the crew and asked if I could be reinstated to Business if there were any seats open (I could see a few) and I was told "No, you're staff". Then, during meal service, one crew member told her colleague from across the aisle something like "13E is staff, serve him afterwards".

I thought someone might say that the incremental cost is low, and it is.

But it is the value being high which causes the problem. If empty business and first class seats are going to be given away then they could also be sold at a discount.

The issue is that discretion over large amounts of money creates temptation to do wrong as well as bad feelings. I too worked in financial services, where this kind of thing stopped being tolerated long ago. Before that I found myself sometimes refusing hospitality as it was plainly excessive, which would be a lot less than the cost of an airline seat.

Ultimately it is up to the airline to decide if this is too risky or not from a business perspective. Either they think it is OK and allow it, or they don't.
vanmunchen likes this.
Old Mar 31, 2022, 1:52 am

Originally Posted by orbitmic
I disagree. I think that the comparison is apt. There is a cost. It is small, marginal, but it is here - it will be the extra miniatures drank, the extra duvets to wash, the extra toiletry bags, etc. And to go back to MrALIG's point, note that there are supermarkets chains where the exact same tings he mentions have applied to products reaching their expiry date, which staff used to be able to take for free on the evening and can't anymore, and which the supermarket would throw away and destroy.

And again, this thread is not about BA staff travel upgrades but about upgrading one's family and friends (not BA staff) to empty J and F seats. To me - and I think to many others - those are very different situations. Indeed, there have been numerous threads on staff upgrades, and you can see that different people have different views, though I would note that on what is my personal main issue, BA (and other airlines) make a point that BA staff travelling in premium cabins should make themselves discreet. In fact, with staff, I think it is explicit a requirement if I'm not mistaken and I suspect that a BA staff gloating about it to other passengers could potentially be in some sort of trouble? It is just a lot harder to enforce with non-staff, precisely because they will likely care less about the airline's image.
Maybe I'm reading too much into this post, but I'm getting a bad vibe out of this sleuthing into exactly how much an on-board upgrade could cost. Miniatures, the washbag, one extra duvet to send to Berendsen... we're talking pennies. And, to be honest, it feels quite patronising. How would you react if I asked how much is the cost of that bloc of post-it notes you've taken from work? Or that pen? Or if you really really needed to drink all those coffees from the office machine? If we go down that route, where do we end?

The young man in the OP's report was too overenthusiastic, sure, but I know - first hand - of people being suspended for having upgraded a colleague of theirs on a domestic flight, a colleague who a) drank nothing b) ate nothing and c) in general did nothing. The point for me is that jealousy and envy will make a massive case of anything. I don't think I agree with Silver Fox on many things (apart from Dishoom I guess) but he put it very finely when he wrote that "Comparison is the thief of joy"..
PAL62V likes this.
Old Mar 31, 2022, 1:59 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, IHG Diamond
Originally Posted by MrALIG
I thought someone might say that the incremental cost is low, and it is.

But it is the value being high which causes the problem. If empty business and first class seats are going to be given away then they could also be sold at a discount.
With this, they'll start becoming AA where one person pays say £5k for an F seat in an empty cabin, and on boarding, every other seat is filled with various upgrades based on status, SWU / upgrade coupons or whatever AA use.
Selling at a discount is sort of what "upgrade to CE for only £98" is a few days after booking or airport upgrades.

Got to keep cabins "exclusive" by not overfilling them with cheap upgrades etc.

If I were to sit down in an empty F seat after boarding rather than in my Y seat as "it's not being used, it won't cost anything, it's not bothering anyone", I bet I would turfed out as to a lot here, it's practically theft of a product I haven't paid for.
Could the same be said about crew giving the same seat to friends or family? With the Captain's approval, I don't know if this would be different?
SKT-DK likes this.

Last edited by xenole; Mar 31, 2022 at 2:06 am
Old Mar 31, 2022, 2:07 am

Most high-end restaurants in London would have difficulties if business lunches to celebrate deals were banned.

Technically I think they're illegal? Years ago I used to work in a different industry and it was common courtesy to send a lawyer a bottle of champagne as a thank you when a deal was signed. This was then banned due to bribery, so it switched to going out for (more expensive) lunches instead.
Old Mar 31, 2022, 2:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by 13901
Maybe I'm reading too much into this post, but I'm getting a bad vibe out of this sleuthing into exactly how much an on-board upgrade could cost. Miniatures, the washbag, one extra duvet to send to Berendsen... we're talking pennies. And, to be honest, it feels quite patronising. How would you react if I asked how much is the cost of that bloc of post-it notes you've taken from work? Or that pen? Or if you really really needed to drink all those coffees from the office machine? If we go down that route, where do we end?
That happens to be exactly the point I’m making. If you read my post a bit above I was pointing out that precisely in recent years some cabin crew have been fired for taking miniatures with them at the end of the flight and some people have been fired from taking pens home from the office cupboard or expiring yoghurts that would have been thrown and destroyed or for letting their kids use the company owned laptop outside of office hours to do their homework or taking 5 toilet breaks when their supervisor considered 3 was enough.

i am not at all making the point that those things represent high costs or should be sackable, I’m instead simply answering your argument that MrALIG’s supermarket comparison is in apt because the ba upgrades represent no value whilst people getting fired by supermarkets are taking value away from them is mistaken in that many people in low paid jobs get fired for things that represent exactly as very little cost to their employer as those upgrades. Already. Every year. That is exactly the point MrALIG was making earlier and which you criticised as an inapt comparison.

or if you prefer, I was pre-emptively answering your “where would we be?” question above by saying we’d be exactly where we already are for many people with less well paid more vulnerable jobs.
Old Mar 31, 2022, 2:23 am

Originally Posted by Okrib
Most high-end restaurants in London would have difficulties if business lunches to celebrate deals were banned.

Technically I think they're illegal? Years ago I used to work in a different industry and it was common courtesy to send a lawyer a bottle of champagne as a thank you when a deal was signed. This was then banned due to bribery, so it switched to going out for (more expensive) lunches instead.
My company is the same where a paranoid team enforce said compliance regulations at every opportunity. UK average salary earner here. We're not even allowed to accept anything more than a pen from suppliers and have to politely decline Christmas presents from customers should they feel generous enough to offer one. Different story for the directors though. My previous role was constantly pulling favours and freebies for them. Ultimately I was made redundant because I wasn't allowed access to them (their employees) anymore as it could be construed as offering favourable access over another supplier who didn't have such opportunities. Now that I am one of their employees I'm well aware in my current role that things still go on and discretion is key. I'm aware of colleagues who don't go shouting their mouths off and generally bragging that they've managed to get XY and Z and nobody is any the wiser. I dont begrudge them for it. Im just not brave enough to risk my job over it.

Last edited by 1Aturnleft; Mar 31, 2022 at 2:28 am
Old Mar 31, 2022, 3:07 am

Originally Posted by orbitmic
That happens to be exactly the point I’m making. If you read my post a bit above I was pointing out that precisely in recent years some cabin crew have been fired for taking miniatures with them at the end of the flight and some people have been fired from taking pens home from the office cupboard or expiring yoghurts that would have been thrown and destroyed or for letting their kids use the company owned laptop outside of office hours to do their homework or taking 5 toilet breaks when their supervisor considered 3 was enough.

i am not at all making the point that those things represent high costs or should be sackable, I’m instead simply answering your argument that MrALIG’s supermarket comparison is in apt because the ba upgrades represent no value whilst people getting fired by supermarkets are taking value away from them is mistaken in that many people in low paid jobs get fired for things that represent exactly as very little cost to their employer as those upgrades. Already. Every year. That is exactly the point MrALIG was making earlier and which you criticised as an inapt comparison.

or if you prefer, I was pre-emptively answering your “where would we be?” question above by saying we’d be exactly where we already are for many people with less well paid more vulnerable jobs.
I'm not getting my point across so I'll leave it be.
Old Mar 31, 2022, 3:21 am

Programs: BA Gold, Accor Gold
The UK Bribery Act is quite a far reaching piece of legislation, even though it isn't widely used at the moment.

If you work in any kind of regulated industry (Finance, Law, etc) then the regulators will typically have their own expectations over how the industry should implement the UKBA, which eventually pretty much stops any kind of entertainment or perks that aren't deemed 'reasonable'

Originally Posted by 1Aturnleft
My company is the same where a paranoid team enforce said compliance regulations at every opportunity. UK average salary earner here. We're not even allowed to accept anything more than a pen from suppliers and have to politely decline Christmas presents from customers should they feel generous enough to offer one. Different story for the directors though. My previous role was constantly pulling favours and freebies for them. Ultimately I was made redundant because I wasn't allowed access to them (their employees) anymore as it could be construed as offering favourable access over another supplier who didn't have such opportunities. Now that I am one of their employees I'm well aware in my current role that things still go on and discretion is key. I'm aware of colleagues who don't go shouting their mouths off and generally bragging that they've managed to get XY and Z and nobody is any the wiser. I dont begrudge them for it. Im just not brave enough to risk my job over it.
Old Mar 31, 2022, 3:23 am

Programs: BA Gold, Accor Gold
As long as the senior mgmt of the company paying deems the costs to be reasonable and proportionate it won't be illegal. Also the recipient would also be expected to obtain approval to attend, so again costs would be expected to be controlled.

Originally Posted by Okrib

Old Mar 31, 2022, 3:41 am

Originally Posted by bhbloke
As long as the senior mgmt of the company paying deems the costs to be reasonable and proportionate it won't be illegal. Also the recipient would also be expected to obtain approval to attend, so again costs would be expected to be controlled.
So what's the situation with BA giving Premier cards to those responsible for the spend allocation of major travel budgets? As far as I can tell, this is about as clear a case of "bribery" as you can possibly get...

There's always a way around the system. By trying to regulate it so onerously it just encourages it to be hidden, which actually benefits no one.
1Aturnleft likes this.
Old Mar 31, 2022, 4:40 am
amt

Programs: BA GGL & CCR
Don’t have to know anyone… Back in my 20’s I was ‘too cute’ or had ‘too nice a smile or eyes’ to be seated back in economy on more than a few short-haul BA flights.
Old Mar 31, 2022, 6:22 am

I've read some great arguments on justice and injustice, admirable aims towards fairness and impartiality, poorly paid jobs excluding relatively tiny perks, and harsh punishments for relatively small transgressions.

Travel and tourism represent a significant part of the hospitality industry. Rewards can be different from other sectors. Trade specific regulations apply but don't exclude offering employees perks or rewards.

Isn't the harsh reality that those with a higher rank or more power sometimes get valuable perks? Understandably, paying passengers may be peeved to see someone enjoy a freebie when they have paid handsomely. Sure, sensitivity and discretion from recipients of freebies should be encouraged. There is an argument that (correctly) encouraging relatives and friends to use the company is healthy and might promote good staff relations. The hotel industry, for example, sometimes offers special rates for staff and friends/family to enjoy off-peak bargain rates. I'd like to see BA staff get decent benefits and perks.

Ultimately, as long as it doesn't affect my flight, I'd be content to see a little joy spread.
Old Mar 31, 2022, 7:43 am
PxC

Programs: BA Silver, Hilton Gold, Caesars Diamond
Originally Posted by fripperies
I was commenting on the scenario envisaged by PxC where someone who believes he's been deprived of a benefit by a non-paying passenger would be justified in being p*ssed off, kicking up a fuss, and letting cc know that a complaint would be going in. I said this would be a bit DYKWIA because it seems to me pulling rank ostentatiously, rather than being right or wrong, is the essence of DYKWIA behaviour.

Calling it whatever you like, but yes I would be pulling rank as a paying customer that expects the business it’s paying and it’s employees not to act in ways of detriment to the service. If “etiquette” in this case is followed, there is no problems. Break the rules all you want if it doesn’t impact me, but those “perks” shouldn’t be at others expense.
Old Mar 31, 2022, 7:52 am

Originally Posted by PxC
Calling it whatever you like, but yes I would be pulling rank as a paying customer that expects the business it’s paying and it’s employees not to act in ways of detriment to the service. If “etiquette” in this case is followed, there is no problems. Break the rules all you want if it doesn’t impact me, but those “perks” shouldn’t be at others expense.
Irrespective of the rights and wrongs of this particular event, the concept of a passenger, however commercially important to BA, pulling rank on the crew is the biggest laugh I’ve had all day. I suggest a brief perusal of the Air Navigation Order to remind yourselves as to the power, within the law, of the aircraft commander, and by extension their nominated deputies, the crew.
Old Mar 31, 2022, 8:04 am
PxC

Programs: BA Silver, Hilton Gold, Caesars Diamond
Originally Posted by Waterhorse
Irrespective of the rights and wrongs of this particular event, the concept of a passenger, however commercially important to BA, pulling rank on the crew is the biggest laugh I’ve had all day. I suggest a brief perusal of the Air Navigation Order to remind yourselves as to the power, within the law, of the aircraft commander, and by extension their nominated deputies, the crew.
And BAs reaction towards the crew if they find out they’re dishing out upgrades? Genuine question..

“Pulling rank” in this conversation was nothing to do with aircraft authority, more how much justification I perceive to have as a paying customer to think/act as discussed.

[I will repeat for those that haven’t read the above I don’t actually care about it happening if it doesn’t worsen my experience]
Fatdickie likes this.

Last edited by PxC; Mar 31, 2022 at 8:09 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.