Wiki Posts
Search

A321neo for a five hour flight?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 27, 2022, 1:08 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA GGLfL, Virgin Gold
A321neo for a five hour flight?

Hi all. Would anyone be able to comment about the experience on a BA A321neo in Club. We are considering a trip to Egypt, but a 5hr+ flight in a 321neo does not sound too appetizing as I have heard that the seats are little bit minimalist in terms of comfort. We are not time constrained, so QR via Doha is our alternative. Any comments most welcome. Thanks
Old Mar 27, 2022, 1:13 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver/OW Sapphire
If you’re in no hurry, QR wins hands down. I wouldn’t wish 5 hours on a BA short haul plane on my worst enemy. Remember, Club Europe is the same as Euro Traveller, with the middle seat blocked. Non existent leg room. No IFE. No thank you.
Old Mar 27, 2022, 1:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Falkirk, Scotland,VS Red, BA Gold, HH Diamond,UK Amex Plat
Programs: Master of the Privy Purse des Muccis
Originally Posted by dbthebolt
Hi all. Would anyone be able to comment about the experience on a BA A321neo in Club. We are considering a trip to Egypt, but a 5hr+ flight in a 321neo does not sound too appetizing as I have heard that the seats are little bit minimalist in terms of comfort. We are not time constrained, so QR via Doha is our alternative. Any comments most welcome. Thanks
Hi.

It is survivable and the food and drink have improved recently. (no ife). If you are not time constrained and willing to pay the extra ( probably) with the added time going via Doha, go for it. With the demise of the midhaul fleet , there are a number of complaints that the BA Club Europe product is not good enough for Egypt ( but prices have apparently fallen)

Regards

TBS
wrp96, TedToToe, becks1 and 1 others like this.
Old Mar 27, 2022, 1:15 pm

Originally Posted by dbthebolt
Cairo is classed as Club Europe so standard Club Europe offering with the middle seat blocked and no IFE. Flight time usually in region of 4 hours LHR-CAI, not much longer than a LCA which is on the 320/321 fleet too. Pricing wise, CAI is priced as short haul so usually cheaper than direct competitors e.g. MS.

If time is of no issue than QR is a comfortable experience but you are potentially tripling the journey time.

​​​​
Old Mar 27, 2022, 1:17 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA GGLfL, Virgin Gold
Many thanks for the sound advice.
WVmike likes this.
Old Mar 27, 2022, 1:20 pm

Programs: BA Silver, AF Ivory
Have done this on 4hr+ flight to Greece, very uncomfortable. Avoid if you can.
choosethedrew and SxMan like this.
Old Mar 27, 2022, 1:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Quite frankly, the comfort of the NEO planes is poor if you are in the rear half of the plane, but the front part is decent for short haul. Even in Y and in the non-reclining rubbish seats, I can't for the life of me picture under what scenario 2 flights, transfers, re-clearing security, the risk of delays, and a total travel time of 12+ hours, quite possibly with dodgy times, would ever be considered a greater comfort than a 5 hour nonstop even if the former was in some great F product and the latter on Ryanair.

If you are flying from elsewhere then yes, I'd definitely look into alternatives, but if your trip is in fact London-Cairo, I'd just go nonstop despite the dodgy plane comfort, as the shorter and nonstop journey is simply vastly more comfortable per se.
NickB, aristoph, Lynyrd and 10 others like this.
Old Mar 27, 2022, 1:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by orbitmic
Quite frankly, the comfort of the NEO planes is poor if you are in the rear half of the plane, but the front part is decent for short haul. Even in Y and in the non-reclining rubbish seats, I can't for the life of me picture under what scenario 2 flights, transfers, re-clearing security, the risk of delays, and a total travel time of 12+ hours, quite possibly with dodgy times, would ever be considered a greater comfort than a 5 hour nonstop even if the former was in some great F product and the latter on Ryanair.

If you are flying from elsewhere then yes, I'd definitely look into alternatives, but if your trip is in fact London-Cairo, I'd just go nonstop despite the dodgy plane comfort, as the shorter and nonstop journey is simply vastly more comfortable per se.
Hear, hear, I’m flying TPA-LAS in a couple of weeks, whilst there were far more comfortable routes through MIA / LAX I’m going direct on Spirit. Five hours start to end rather than several hours more and a change with AA
orbitmic likes this.
Old Mar 27, 2022, 1:45 pm

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Marriott Ambassador and Lifetime Platinum
We did this journey on the neo in December. I was also not looking forward to it, but we got avios seats at a peak time by taking a gamble when Egypt was still on the red list, and with the omicron surge we were just glad we could go. Was especially not looking forward to it as only got row 2, and usually go for 1C for the leg/knee space.

I was really pleasantly surprised - the leg space was actually decent enough, and the seat was comfortable for the length of flight. In-seat power was handy too.

As others have posted on similar threads about CE, row 2 does also have the advantage of being a bit more tucked away from the comings and goings at the front but still close enough for quick service.

I would almost go as far as saying it was as pleasant as a similar length flight to Cyprus we did in August that was upgraded to a long haul 787, though that was more to do with the terrible service and cabin packed full of kids which detracted a bit from having a CW seat and IFE.
becks1 likes this.
Old Mar 27, 2022, 1:52 pm

Programs: BA; IHG; LHW; Hilton
Three abreast

Originally Posted by ao40
We did this journey on the neo in December. I was also not looking forward to it, but we got avios seats at a peak time by taking a gamble when Egypt was still on the red list, and with the omicron surge we were just glad we could go. Was especially not looking forward to it as only got row 2, and usually go for 1C for the leg/knee space.

I was really pleasantly surprised - the leg space was actually decent enough, and the seat was comfortable for the length of flight. In-seat power was handy too.

As others have posted on similar threads about CE, row 2 does also have the advantage of being a bit more tucked away from the comings and goings at the front but still close enough for quick service.

I would almost go as far as saying it was as pleasant as a similar length flight to Cyprus we did in August that was upgraded to a long haul 787, though that was more to do with the terrible service and cabin packed full of kids which detracted a bit from having a CW seat and IFE.
… just be prepared for British Airways to plonk somebody in that supposedly empty middle seat though. They seem prone to doing this at the moment when things get busy or there are irrops.
Hedgie66 likes this.
Old Mar 27, 2022, 2:06 pm
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
Originally Posted by hydro001
Cairo is classed as Club Europe so standard Club Europe offering with the middle seat blocked and no IFE. Flight time usually in region of 4 hours LHR-CAI, not much longer than a LCA which is on the 320/321 fleet too. Pricing wise, CAI is priced as short haul so usually cheaper than direct competitors e.g. MS.

If time is of no issue than QR is a comfortable experience but you are potentially tripling the journey time.

​​​​
Triple the journey time and quadruple the cost!

BA is typically about £800, QR in the region of £4000. A more affordable option is Royal Jordanian (very nice seats on their short haul fleet) at about £1200. Would I choose these alternative options? Definitely not, no way I’d unnecessarily add 10 hours+ to such a short journey.
Dan72, orbitmic, jrfsp320 and 1 others like this.
Old Mar 27, 2022, 2:13 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold
I've just been to TFS with 4hrs on a Neo. For me 3hrs, 4hrs or 5hrs doesn't make a big difference. Not ideal but bearable.

Just picking a sample date mid year BA are £800 and QR are about 5 times the price. Angle flat on Egyptair B777 is about the same price as BA
IntVic and becks1 like this.
Old Mar 27, 2022, 2:21 pm

Programs: BAEC. Gold
Travelled a few times on the 321 neo, longer BA europe

Travelled in Y
Being Silver have lounge access etc

Aimed for seats in row 27 I think it was.
Exit row, window seat and no seat in front
So much leg room
Old Mar 27, 2022, 2:27 pm

Programs: VS Silver; Matmid Silver, BA Bronze; Accor Plat.
Go to Israel instead.
aristoph, GaxxyFlyer and AJA_ like this.
Old Mar 27, 2022, 2:28 pm

Programs: Honors Diamond
On the NEO versus the older CEO, in Club Europe there is little difference except there is no drinks table in the B and E seats. They are still left vacancy and you can still use the tray table there as extra drinks space.

In Euro Traveller (unless you are seated at the front emergency exit rows or further forwards) there are slimline, non-reclining seats with reduced seat pitch.

All of the bathrooms are smaller. In Club at least I’m not sure it makes a great deal of difference for the vast majority of passengers.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.