A321neo for a five hour flight?

Old Mar 27, 2022, 2:08 pm
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Programs: BA Lifetime Gold, GGL, CCR, Virgin Gold
Posts: 121
A321neo for a five hour flight?

Hi all. Would anyone be able to comment about the experience on a BA A321neo in Club. We are considering a trip to Egypt, but a 5hr+ flight in a 321neo does not sound too appetizing as I have heard that the seats are little bit minimalist in terms of comfort. We are not time constrained, so QR via Doha is our alternative. Any comments most welcome. Thanks
dbthebolt is offline  
Old Mar 27, 2022, 2:13 pm
  #2  
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: South Glos, UK
Programs: BAEC Silver/OW Sapphire
Posts: 1,151
If you’re in no hurry, QR wins hands down. I wouldn’t wish 5 hours on a BA short haul plane on my worst enemy. Remember, Club Europe is the same as Euro Traveller, with the middle seat blocked. Non existent leg room. No IFE. No thank you.
wb1969 is offline  
Old Mar 27, 2022, 2:15 pm
  #3  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Falkirk, Scotland,VS Red, BA Gold, HH Diamond,UK Amex Plat
Programs: Master of the Privy Purse des Muccis
Posts: 17,760
Originally Posted by dbthebolt
Hi all. Would anyone be able to comment about the experience on a BA A321neo in Club. We are considering a trip to Egypt, but a 5hr+ flight in a 321neo does not sound too appetizing as I have heard that the seats are little bit minimalist in terms of comfort. We are not time constrained, so QR via Doha is our alternative. Any comments most welcome. Thanks
Hi.

It is survivable and the food and drink have improved recently. (no ife). If you are not time constrained and willing to pay the extra ( probably) with the added time going via Doha, go for it. With the demise of the midhaul fleet , there are a number of complaints that the BA Club Europe product is not good enough for Egypt ( but prices have apparently fallen)

Regards

TBS
wrp96, TedToToe, becks1 and 1 others like this.
The _Banking_Scot is online now  
Old Mar 27, 2022, 2:15 pm
  #4  
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 334
Originally Posted by dbthebolt
Hi all. Would anyone be able to comment about the experience on a BA A321neo in Club. We are considering a trip to Egypt, but a 5hr+ flight in a 321neo does not sound too appetizing as I have heard that the seats are little bit minimalist in terms of comfort. We are not time constrained, so QR via Doha is our alternative. Any comments most welcome. Thanks
Cairo is classed as Club Europe so standard Club Europe offering with the middle seat blocked and no IFE. Flight time usually in region of 4 hours LHR-CAI, not much longer than a LCA which is on the 320/321 fleet too. Pricing wise, CAI is priced as short haul so usually cheaper than direct competitors e.g. MS.

If time is of no issue than QR is a comfortable experience but you are potentially tripling the journey time.

​​​​
hydro001 is offline  
Old Mar 27, 2022, 2:17 pm
  #5  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Programs: BA Lifetime Gold, GGL, CCR, Virgin Gold
Posts: 121
Many thanks for the sound advice.
WVmike likes this.
dbthebolt is offline  
Old Mar 27, 2022, 2:20 pm
  #6  
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Bloomsbury
Programs: BA Silver, AF Ivory
Posts: 2,187
Have done this on 4hr+ flight to Greece, very uncomfortable. Avoid if you can.
choosethedrew and SxMan like this.
dnajockey is offline  
Old Mar 27, 2022, 2:22 pm
  #7  
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Somewhere between 0 and 13,000 metres high
Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Posts: 30,183
Quite frankly, the comfort of the NEO planes is poor if you are in the rear half of the plane, but the front part is decent for short haul. Even in Y and in the non-reclining rubbish seats, I can't for the life of me picture under what scenario 2 flights, transfers, re-clearing security, the risk of delays, and a total travel time of 12+ hours, quite possibly with dodgy times, would ever be considered a greater comfort than a 5 hour nonstop even if the former was in some great F product and the latter on Ryanair.

If you are flying from elsewhere then yes, I'd definitely look into alternatives, but if your trip is in fact London-Cairo, I'd just go nonstop despite the dodgy plane comfort, as the shorter and nonstop journey is simply vastly more comfortable per se.
NickB, aristoph, Lynyrd and 10 others like this.
orbitmic is offline  
Old Mar 27, 2022, 2:29 pm
  #8  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: UK
Programs: BA Gold
Posts: 12,095
Originally Posted by orbitmic
Quite frankly, the comfort of the NEO planes is poor if you are in the rear half of the plane, but the front part is decent for short haul. Even in Y and in the non-reclining rubbish seats, I can't for the life of me picture under what scenario 2 flights, transfers, re-clearing security, the risk of delays, and a total travel time of 12+ hours, quite possibly with dodgy times, would ever be considered a greater comfort than a 5 hour nonstop even if the former was in some great F product and the latter on Ryanair.

If you are flying from elsewhere then yes, I'd definitely look into alternatives, but if your trip is in fact London-Cairo, I'd just go nonstop despite the dodgy plane comfort, as the shorter and nonstop journey is simply vastly more comfortable per se.
Hear, hear, I’m flying TPA-LAS in a couple of weeks, whilst there were far more comfortable routes through MIA / LAX I’m going direct on Spirit. Five hours start to end rather than several hours more and a change with AA
orbitmic likes this.
mikeyfly is offline  
Old Mar 27, 2022, 2:45 pm
  #9  
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Posts: 148
We did this journey on the neo in December. I was also not looking forward to it, but we got avios seats at a peak time by taking a gamble when Egypt was still on the red list, and with the omicron surge we were just glad we could go. Was especially not looking forward to it as only got row 2, and usually go for 1C for the leg/knee space.

I was really pleasantly surprised - the leg space was actually decent enough, and the seat was comfortable for the length of flight. In-seat power was handy too.

As others have posted on similar threads about CE, row 2 does also have the advantage of being a bit more tucked away from the comings and goings at the front but still close enough for quick service.

I would almost go as far as saying it was as pleasant as a similar length flight to Cyprus we did in August that was upgraded to a long haul 787, though that was more to do with the terrible service and cabin packed full of kids which detracted a bit from having a CW seat and IFE.
becks1 likes this.
ao40 is offline  
Old Mar 27, 2022, 2:52 pm
  #10  
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: Sussex
Programs: BA; IHG; LHW; Hilton
Posts: 765
Three abreast

Originally Posted by ao40
We did this journey on the neo in December. I was also not looking forward to it, but we got avios seats at a peak time by taking a gamble when Egypt was still on the red list, and with the omicron surge we were just glad we could go. Was especially not looking forward to it as only got row 2, and usually go for 1C for the leg/knee space.

I was really pleasantly surprised - the leg space was actually decent enough, and the seat was comfortable for the length of flight. In-seat power was handy too.

As others have posted on similar threads about CE, row 2 does also have the advantage of being a bit more tucked away from the comings and goings at the front but still close enough for quick service.

I would almost go as far as saying it was as pleasant as a similar length flight to Cyprus we did in August that was upgraded to a long haul 787, though that was more to do with the terrible service and cabin packed full of kids which detracted a bit from having a CW seat and IFE.
just be prepared for British Airways to plonk somebody in that supposedly empty middle seat though. They seem prone to doing this at the moment when things get busy or there are irrops.
Hedgie66 likes this.
SxMan is offline  
Old Mar 27, 2022, 3:06 pm
  #11  
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: UK/Las Vegas
Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
Posts: 15,843
Originally Posted by hydro001
Cairo is classed as Club Europe so standard Club Europe offering with the middle seat blocked and no IFE. Flight time usually in region of 4 hours LHR-CAI, not much longer than a LCA which is on the 320/321 fleet too. Pricing wise, CAI is priced as short haul so usually cheaper than direct competitors e.g. MS.

If time is of no issue than QR is a comfortable experience but you are potentially tripling the journey time.

​​​​
Triple the journey time and quadruple the cost!

BA is typically about 800, QR in the region of 4000. A more affordable option is Royal Jordanian (very nice seats on their short haul fleet) at about 1200. Would I choose these alternative options? Definitely not, no way I’d unnecessarily add 10 hours+ to such a short journey.
Dan72, orbitmic, jrfsp320 and 1 others like this.
Tobias-UK is offline  
Old Mar 27, 2022, 3:13 pm
  #12  
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Programs: BAEC Gold
Posts: 1,601
I've just been to TFS with 4hrs on a Neo. For me 3hrs, 4hrs or 5hrs doesn't make a big difference. Not ideal but bearable.

Just picking a sample date mid year BA are 800 and QR are about 5 times the price. Angle flat on Egyptair B777 is about the same price as BA
IntVic and becks1 like this.
Agent69 is offline  
Old Mar 27, 2022, 3:21 pm
  #13  
 
Join Date: Feb 2019
Location: UK. West Sussex
Programs: BAEC. Gold
Posts: 786
Travelled a few times on the 321 neo, longer BA europe

Travelled in Y
Being Silver have lounge access etc

Aimed for seats in row 27 I think it was.
Exit row, window seat and no seat in front
So much leg room
Fatdickie is offline  
Old Mar 27, 2022, 3:27 pm
  #14  
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Devon, UK
Programs: VS Silver; Matmid Silver, BA Bronze; Accor Plat.
Posts: 851
Go to Israel instead.
aristoph, GaxxyFlyer and AJA_ like this.
davidcamp6 is offline  
Old Mar 27, 2022, 3:28 pm
  #15  
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Programs: Honors Diamond
Posts: 1,572
On the NEO versus the older CEO, in Club Europe there is little difference except there is no drinks table in the B and E seats. They are still left vacancy and you can still use the tray table there as extra drinks space.

In Euro Traveller (unless you are seated at the front emergency exit rows or further forwards) there are slimline, non-reclining seats with reduced seat pitch.

All of the bathrooms are smaller. In Club at least Im not sure it makes a great deal of difference for the vast majority of passengers.
lcylocal is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.