Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Why are Y flights so expensive at the moment

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 25, 2022, 6:59 am
Original Poster

Im looking to go to NYC in Sept / Oct and i was pricing up flights- it will cost me £20 more to fly with united and get my flight back on Premium Economy then it would to fly with BA on Y (its coming up as £570 return). I have never seen BA LHR-NYC flights so expensive? I get covid and they need to make their money back but this is an off peak flight and im confused as to how its coming up as so much..

Is there a reason other than BA being overpriced?
Old Mar 25, 2022, 7:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
Often JFK could be around £300, whilst you may not get this price I wouldn’t book now at these prices. Check again at 6/8 weeks out
Old Mar 25, 2022, 7:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by MiraculousM
it would to fly with BA on Y (its coming up as £570 return). I have never seen BA LHR-NYC flights so expensive?
I have seen LHR-NYC in Y far more expensive than that, especially in the summer when it is not unusual to find nothing below 1k. That said, for Sept-Oct, it may well be that BA is not releasing the cheapest buckets - it seems to be a frequent issue at the moment on several routes I have been looking for across travel classes.
Old Mar 25, 2022, 7:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

If you must travel and you want to start making plans, using Book With Confidence and returning in Sept, you can book, cancel to evoucher, and rebook if the price drops
MiraculousM and Paolo1972 like this.
Old Mar 25, 2022, 7:30 am

Programs: BA GGL, LH FTL
Originally Posted by mikeyfly
Often JFK could be around £300, whilst you may not get this price I wouldn’t book now at these prices. Check again at 6/8 weeks out
I'd be careful with this. BA is pricing a lot more aggressively these days than pre-pandemic. Looking at my usual routes in 6-8 weeks they are very expensive. Now obviously this is just a very small dataset, and the usual pattern may return soon, but the post-pandemic world is a new market and we may well see new pricing patterns.

Last edited by LCY8737; Mar 25, 2022 at 9:31 am
Old Mar 25, 2022, 7:31 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by orbitmic
I have seen LHR-NYC in Y far more expensive than that, especially in the summer when it is not unusual to find nothing below 1k. That said, for Sept-Oct, it may well be that BA is not releasing the cheapest buckets - it seems to be a frequent issue at the moment on several routes I have been looking for across travel classes.
I meant for off peak.. sorry i should have specified that.
I wish they would just release them because whilst i was expecting to pay more because of covid, pre covid, i used to pay around £350 so this is way higher and frankly unaffordable

Is there any reason they are doing this?
Old Mar 25, 2022, 7:41 am

Programs: BAEC GGL/CR; Hilton Diamond; Mucci des Puccis
Presumably they think they can sustain the pricing because of consumer inertia. Personally I'd book the cheaper fare from another supplier; BA may be expensive, and be playing games with surcharges, but there are still a lot of cheap ways to fly. I just booked a round the world for around £800 on a mixture of low cost carriers.

Incidentally, there are much better BA/OW Y fares available ex Germany (~£249) just now, and probably from other start points.
RJD1983 and MiraculousM like this.
FlyerTalk Evangelist

They are doing it as some very sophisticated software shows they can and make a decent profit through doing so. While business travel is still massively down, leisure travel is off and running. As a business BA are going to be working to maximise the profit from those customer groups.

Also those cheap economy tix to NYC were subsidised by lots of J tickets pre-Covid. The J demand has gone so those down the back have to pay their way.
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by MiraculousM
I meant for off peak.. sorry i should have specified that.
I wish they would just release them because whilst i was expecting to pay more because of covid, pre covid, i used to pay around £350 so this is way higher and frankly unaffordable
Hmm, then perhaps look at other destinations - NYC is not affordable with hotel prices, eating out costs, pretty poor exchange rate - the £1/200 difference in flight cost would be small factor on a trip there in my opnion
Old Mar 25, 2022, 7:51 am

Programs: BA
A bit of supply and demand too, there are still fewer seats in the market on most routes than there were pre covid, I think New York is coming back up to normal frequency later this year but I think there may still be fewer seats, all those 747's being replaced by smaller aircraft.
MiraculousM likes this.
Old Mar 25, 2022, 7:51 am
Original Poster

Hmm, then perhaps look at other destinations - NYC is not affordable with hotel prices, eating out costs, pretty poor exchange rate - the £1/200 difference in flight cost would be small factor on a trip there in my opnion
Ahh i can do NYC pretty affordably and have this down to fine art (also spending some time with friends in PHL). I used to do LHR- PHL- LHR but found flying into nyc was cheaper... those PHL flights went to up to £850 return on Y once Delta/USA airways stopped flying there and then dropped back down to around £450 which was doable too (if i was only staying in PHL)

Whilst i get what BA are doing and for profit, is there really that much demand when you can get a united flight that is much cheaper?
choosethedrew likes this.
Old Mar 25, 2022, 7:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I imagine their pricing is deliberately "erratic" and hoping to maximise profit yes. But they will at times be lead by competitors, so if VS were to drop to £300 at some point, I wouldn't be surprised if they silently (or loudly) do the same !
MiraculousM likes this.
Old Mar 25, 2022, 7:55 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
Just a datapoint but a week to NY (albeit from Amsterdam) is €585.12 (488 pounds) that seems perfectly reasonable for me. KLM charges (same dates, same airports) €604.98. United (also direct, but Newark instead of JFK) € 584.98. All prices for a return. Seem to be really close (although again, from Amsterdam).
Old Mar 25, 2022, 8:26 am
Original Poster

I imagine their pricing is deliberately "erratic" and hoping to maximise profit yes. But they will at times be lead by competitors, so if VS were to drop to £300 at some point, I wouldn't be surprised if they silently (or loudly) do the same !
I didnt think to look at VS but you are right. Exactly the same price.
Old Mar 25, 2022, 8:26 am

Fuel?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.