Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

LHR T5 | Current passenger flows and queue times

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 19, 2022, 4:32 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA GGL, LH FTL

Does anybody know what is going on at T5 today? Looks like total meltdown at Y/J check in desks. People queuing way beyond the tensa barriers - almost MAN-like.

F wing had no queues though.
BA5E, wrp96, flybymonkey and 1 others like this.
Old Mar 19, 2022, 4:34 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

It's Saturday... seems to be a regular occurrence.
Old Mar 19, 2022, 4:36 am

As this seems to occur often, might be worth adding the date to the title...?
Silver Fox likes this.
Old Mar 19, 2022, 4:38 am

Programs: BA GfL, Marriott PlatfL/Ambassador, TP Gold, IHG Spire
Originally Posted by LCY8737
Does anybody know what is going on at T5 today? Looks like total meltdown at Y/J check in desks. People queuing way beyond the tensa barriers - almost MAN-like.

F wing had no queues though.
BA is striving to provide a consistent experience across the network.
tattikat2, LCY8737, NoY and 23 others like this.
Old Mar 19, 2022, 4:44 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by DYKWIA
It's Saturday... seems to be a regular occurrence.
Yes, I've commented about this elsewhere. It would have been a major surprise if this was not happening, and incidentally, given the numbers travelling today, this would have been like this pre-pandemic.
Old Mar 19, 2022, 4:52 am

Programs: BAEC Bronze
Wouldn’t say there was chaos, Saturday mornings have just become extremely busy. It’s clear that travel patterns have changed as countries have reopened and the percentage of direct LHR customers vs transfers has changed which means it’s a lot busier at check-in. Add in the Covid-19 checks that some countries still require and it will naturally be slower and appear busier.

This is not unique to BA, QR on a daily basis has extreme queues due to doc checks and in T3 Virgin has had to be given desks in another zone for selected flights.
Dan72, RJD1983 and flybymonkey like this.

Last edited by SpeedbirdLHR; Mar 19, 2022 at 5:02 am
Old Mar 19, 2022, 5:00 am

Programs: BAEC GGL
As others have mentioned - it looked very normal for a Saturday morning as I passed through at 8:30. Busy for sure, but that's normal at the moment.
SpeedbirdLHR likes this.
Old Mar 19, 2022, 5:01 am

The crazy thing is it's not even a holiday period. The staff both BA and LHR have been excellent in assisting passengers to keep it flowing. I spoke to a lovely couple at baggage check-in and we had a few laughs to pass the time.
SpeedbirdLHR likes this.
Old Mar 19, 2022, 5:02 am

Programs: BA Executive Club
For some people ‘chaos’ is just lack of the immediate or horror of horrors having to wait a while! As I have said on other threads airlines and airports are recovering from a torrid two years. It will take time for everything to get back up to speed.
In recent weeks the negativity on here has become almost painful! I think I need to absent myself a while as it’s getting me down!
Dan72, SpeedbirdLHR and TTmex like this.
Old Mar 19, 2022, 5:03 am

Programs: BA Gold, Hyatt Globalist
It looked like hell on earth if you had to drop a bag. Both non status and even Club/Silver were queued right back to the entrance doors.

First Wing looked ok for needing to turn left.
After that the rest isn’t great at all.

Table service ordering suspended. Instead you have to queue like in a school canteen, shout what you want when reaching the front and queue again, until what you hope is your order is thrown at you.
SxMan likes this.
Old Mar 19, 2022, 5:05 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA GGL, LH FTL
Where does busy end and chaos begin? I struggled to walk past the many people queuing between the HEX lift exit and the First Wing. Felt chaotic to me, but appreciate it could also be described as very (very very very) busy.

Good for BA. Hope I'll see that in the IAG share price soon. Though many people in the Club queue looked very annoyed. So BA should not count on all of them returning.
Keystone and SxMan like this.

Last edited by LCY8737; Mar 19, 2022 at 5:31 am
Old Mar 19, 2022, 5:13 am

Programs: BA Executive Club
Most people who fly BA are non status they will return again and again if the schedule and price is right.
babyg_wc likes this.
Old Mar 19, 2022, 5:36 am

Programs: BA Gold, Hyatt Globalist
Oh and heaven forbid aircraft actually would like to depart on time.

Initially told getting us onboard was delayed due to ‘late arriving aircraft’. Which simply isn’t true as it’d arrived 15 mins early on its previous sector…

Now, 40 mins after scheduled departure time were in a queue of 4 aircraft waiting for what feels like the single communal T5 pushback tug.

Staffing cut right back to the bone, I do feel for those holding the fort!
Old Mar 19, 2022, 6:06 am

Programs: BA Silver, Hilton Diamond, Marriot Gold, Radisson Gold, Amex Platinum
Talk is of Covid cases reaching 300K at the moment, 50% higher than the peak of Omnicron, and while the masks are off and they're not publicising it, people are still phoning in sick, so I guess it's a lack of staff..
Gengy, wrp96, oceanscape and 4 others like this.
Old Mar 19, 2022, 6:29 am

Programs: BA Silver
Pax are being told that the long queues are due to staff shortages so it looks like BA/HAL do not regard the situation as normal for a busy Saturday.
Silver Fox likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.