Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Advice please on original routing credit and downgrade refund.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 18, 2022, 6:00 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold, Marriott lifetime platinum

Apologies for the long, sad story:

I booked at BA holidays trip to Toronto in J to take advantage of the double TPs offer, then I decided to route via JFK to get Club Suite and extra TPs. That seemed like an OK idea until American decided to cancel the JFK to YYZ flight and sent me via La Guardia instead. Given that there was eight hours between the flights in the outbound and 6.5 on the return I stuck with it. The outbound went like clockwork I even had some time in Manhattan between the two flights.

The return wasn’t such a good story. The AA YYZ to LGA flight was four hours late off the gate, it then parked up on some corner of YYZ for another hour. I’d stuck with it this far because I thought there would be a better chance of getting another flight out of JFK if I missed the original one. Then it diverted en-route, initially they said we would go to Manchester (no idea which US Manchester!) in the end it went to Philadelphia.

At this point AA pretty much abandoned everyone on the LGA flight saying “no more flights tonight, all full tomorrow, catch the train if you want to get to New York”. There were few other people in similar situation to myself, we were “persistent” with the AA customer service people until they agreed to look into re-routing us to our destinations. In the end they put me on the direct AA flight to LHR in economy, but I got back in time for a night out tonight, all is good with world. I will be avoiding unnecessary connections for a while after this experience!

Finally my questions:
  1. Can I claim original routing credit for J after the reroute and downgrade?
  2. Is there any reason why I would not be eligible for the double TPs after all this?
  3. Am I due any sort of refund for the downgrade?
Thanks in advance
Old Mar 18, 2022, 6:23 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by SomersetCyder
  1. Can I claim original routing credit for J after the reroute and downgrade?
  2. Is there any reason why I would not be eligible for the double TPs after all this?
  3. Am I due any sort of refund for the downgrade?
1. I suspect you will get the TPs for the cabin travelled rather than ORC, which would apply AA put you on say a United flight back to London. If this is for status reasons, sometimes the Executive Club can take this into account, depending on what exactly you are trying to do here.
2. That should be OK but I suspect you may need a dialogue with BAH about this.
3. Yes, you should get the EC261 downgrade reimbursement process, of 75% of the fare. Being BAH this gets complicated, but have a look at the main EC261 thread in the BA Forum Dashboard and perhaps work out what you think you should be getting under the Mennens formula.
Radiation Station likes this.
Old Mar 18, 2022, 9:39 am
Original Poster

That’s great, thanks. I’ll look I took into all that’.
Old Mar 18, 2022, 9:43 am

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
1. I suspect you will get the TPs for the cabin travelled rather than ORC, which would apply AA put you on say a United flight back to London. If this is for status reasons, sometimes the Executive Club can take this into account, depending on what exactly you are trying to do here.
In your experience, what's the best route to having this discussion with the Executive Club? Is there a published email which is good for these?
Old Mar 18, 2022, 10:23 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by LimitingFactor
In your experience, what's the best route to having this discussion with the Executive Club? Is there a published email which is good for these?
I think it's just a case of saying - after the demotion or whatever - "I was on track to achieve X but if you consider PNR XYZ, where was unexpectectly downgraded by AA due to weather irrops, I am unforutnately nn TPs short. Is it possible to reconsider my case please? I have y bookings coming up so I am keen to preserve the benefits of X for that period". Or some such. I don't think it's a difficult ask if it's a small amount, but usually you have to be past date concerned, rather than seeking it in advance. It can be a webform submission, given that the Executive Club is a bit overloaded at the moment.
Old Mar 18, 2022, 10:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA
3. Yes, you should get the EC261 downgrade reimbursement process, of 75% of the fare. Being BAH this gets complicated, but have a look at the main EC261 thread in the BA Forum Dashboard and perhaps work out what you think you should be getting under the Mennens formula.
Would EC261 really apply to an AA flight TO LHR? I thought it only applied to AA flights from LHR.
Old Mar 18, 2022, 10:44 am

Originally Posted by wrp96
Would EC261 really apply to an AA flight TO LHR? I thought it only applied to AA flights from LHR.
Oh yes, sorry, you are quite right, no EC261 for you! AA would not need to pay the 75% reimbursement formula. Hopefully BAH can still pay a reasonable refund using the involuntary fare difference.
wrp96 and Radiation Station like this.
Old Mar 18, 2022, 11:08 am
Original Poster

Would me being on a BA ticket make any difference to the EC261? (I’ll start reading the EC261 info!).
Old Mar 18, 2022, 11:10 am

Originally Posted by SomersetCyder
Would me being on a BA ticket make any difference to the EC261? (I’ll start reading the EC261 info!).
No, it's the operating airline that matters, here AA, not the ticketing company. There are a few exceptions relating to codeshared connections but this doesn't fall into those exceptions.
SomersetCyder likes this.
Old Mar 18, 2022, 3:24 pm

Programs: BA Silver (for now)
No, it's the operating airline that matters, here AA, not the ticketing company. There are a few exceptions relating to codeshared connections but this doesn't fall into those exceptions.
Another reason to avoid AA
Old Mar 18, 2022, 4:07 pm

Does anyone know how long ORC claims are taking at the moment? I have one outstanding that I thought should be simple, but not a peep and it’s been a few weeks already. Don’t want to add to workload by chasing, but equally don’t want it to be forgotten as I’ll need it for tier retention.
Old Mar 18, 2022, 4:29 pm

Programs: BA GfL & GGL, FB Platinum, MB Titanium, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Confus
Does anyone know how long ORC claims are taking at the moment? I have one outstanding that I thought should be simple, but not a peep and it’s been a few weeks already. Don’t want to add to workload by chasing, but equally don’t want it to be forgotten as I’ll need it for tier retention.
DM the very helpful BAMissingAvios
gallagher likes this.
Old Mar 18, 2022, 6:19 pm

Programs: BAEC GGL, Hilton Diamond, Marriott GOLD, Accor Club Gold
I have had no reply or even acknowledgement from BAMissingAvios for a month...
Old Mar 18, 2022, 10:36 pm

Programs: BA (GGL G4L), AA (Gold), HH (Diamond); Marriott (Gold)
I would follow the instructions I wrote years ago at https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/brit...r-s-guide.html … 100% success rate over the years for me.
SomersetCyder likes this.
Old Mar 19, 2022, 12:38 pm

Programs: BA GGL - maybe only briefly!
Originally Posted by DominicB
I have had no reply or even acknowledgement from BAMissingAvios for a month...
Is BAMissingAvios no more? I can see their profile, and apparently recent activity, but no posts.

I have similar issue - constant error message when adding the (correct) 125 ticket number and when I called they said it would be fixed, but nothing so far.
u01sss3 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.