Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BA Comair flights suspended

Search this Thread

Old Mar 14, 2022, 8:38 am

Programs: BAEC
This seems a real shame. Comair were great when I flew them Joburg to Cape Town before the pandemic. Both the ground staff and onboard crew were so helpful and the service was like BA pre-Cruz. It was a real joy. Hope they get things sorted.
Schultzois likes this.
Old Mar 14, 2022, 8:46 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Somewhat belatedly there is now a customer advisory for the Comair suspension:

- covers cancellations on Comair until and including 23 March 2022.
- flights rebooked on to SAA (IATA code SA) OR to Airlink (see below)
- cancelled flights allow a full refund
- For flights today and tomorrow 15 March only, these moves can be made to flights seemingly operating (i.e. not yet cancelled at ticketing level).
- dates can be moved to and including 25 March 2022.

SAA small print

Rebook onto SA operated services within South Africa between the same point of origin and destination
Rebook into Business & Economy using the following classes:
Business (lowest available) – D/Z only or lowest economy available
Economy (lowest available) – Y/H/S/L/W

Must add OS SA INVOL REROUTE AS PER SA/BA AGREEMENT
Add OS SA customer contact number
Use the lowest class available for Economy
If the same cabin is not available downgrade into lower cabin
Do not involuntary upgrade

==
Airlink small print

Rebook onto 4Z operated services within South Africa between the same point of origin and destination
Rebook into Business & Economy using the following classes:
Business – D only or lowest economy available
Economy (lowest available) – Y/K/H/B/M/T/S/Q/V/L/G/W

Must add OS 4Z INVOL REROUTE AS PER 4Z/BA AGREEMENT
Add OS 4Z customer contact number
Use the lowest class available for Economy
If the same cabin is not available downgrade into lower cabin
Do not involuntary upgrade
konagirl2 likes this.
Old Mar 14, 2022, 9:42 am

Programs: ba gold
Doing a 4 sector on Friday 18th, as need 20 points before month end.
Cape Town - Port Elizabeth - Durban - Johannesburg - Cape Town.
Should be interesting.
Old Mar 14, 2022, 9:47 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, IHG Spire Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, Starbucks Gold
+1 to Comair delivering a great product.
How long do people perceive this may take to resolve? I cannot imagine their finances are that healthy to cope with a prolonged grounding. It would be a real loss to BAEC if Comair disappeared.
Schultzois and bafan like this.
Old Mar 14, 2022, 10:03 am

Originally Posted by bafan
This seems a real shame. Comair were great when I flew them Joburg to Cape Town before the pandemic. Both the ground staff and onboard crew were so helpful and the service was like BA pre-Cruz. It was a real joy. Hope they get things sorted.
Also fond memories of Comair on a trip I made several years ago to VFA. The segments JNB-VFA-JNB felt like a throwback to Club Europe from ten or fifteen years before. Wider convertible seating, excellent wine selection that the crew took pride in presenting, great catering even on a relative short flight… the differences between those segments and the NCE-LHR-NCE that came before and after the LHR-JNB-LHR bits were really quite noticeable.

I do hope they get this sorted, but it’s quite difficult to recover the image after a situation like this.
bafan likes this.
Old Mar 14, 2022, 10:45 am

Programs: BA Gold
I was due to fly Durban to Cape Town on BA tomorrow lunchtime. All Comair operated services tomorrow have been cancelled. Rebooked onto another BA flight on Wednesday morning which doubtless will not operate. I’m returning a hire car to DUR tomorrow so will try my luck at the airport to be rebooked to an alternative carrier (assuming availability, which I’m not hopeful for, as SAA/Airlink appear to be full) otherwise it looks like an expensive call to the UK Gold Line and most likely a one way hire car and eighteen hour drive down to the Cape, given that Safair who also fly the route are sold out until Saturday.

I must say this has taken me - and most locals I’ve been talking to - by surprise. An oft heard remark has been that had it been SAA they wouldn’t be surprised but British Airways …
Old Mar 14, 2022, 1:07 pm

Programs: AA-EXP, LATAM Gold+, BA-Blues
If booked LHR-JNB-CPT (as I am, next weeke) rather than rebooking onto SA for the JNB-CPT leg, any word if BA is protecting customers onto their nonstop LHR-CPT service?
Old Mar 14, 2022, 1:39 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by checkerboard
If booked LHR-JNB-CPT (as I am, next weeke) rather than rebooking onto SA for the JNB-CPT leg, any word if BA is protecting customers onto their nonstop LHR-CPT service?
I would expect this to be OK but it will be an easier conversation after the cancellation happens. One of the problems with this seems to be that cancellations are not coming though very quickly, perhaps because someone thinks this will be over with quickly.
konagirl2 likes this.
Old Mar 14, 2022, 3:44 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, Miles and More(FTL), IHG(Platinum), Accor, HHonors(Diamond), SPG, Hertz Five Star
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
I would expect this to be OK but it will be an easier conversation after the cancellation happens. One of the problems with this seems to be that cancellations are not coming though very quickly, perhaps because someone thinks this will be over with quickly.
even if over quickly, do you expect a loss in passenger confidence that will affect loads?
Old Mar 14, 2022, 10:16 pm

Originally Posted by BA235
otherwise it looks like an expensive call to the UK Gold Line
If you get the Skype app on your phone / computer, you can call the UK Gold Line 0800 number for free.
Old Mar 15, 2022, 3:34 am

Originally Posted by scottishpoet
even if over quickly, do you expect a loss in passenger confidence that will affect loads?
I imagine so. There is a hefty percentage of the population that is nervous about flying and this outcome would be a troubling for them. Not least because there are other airlines in SA which had a reputation, perhaps undeserved, and were seen to be more likely to have these sorts of issues. There again SA generally is clearly watching aviation safety so in a wider context this provides more confidence to the public than avoidable disasters. I would expect either a substantial statement from Comair in the next day or two and/or a resumption of services by the weekend.
Old Mar 15, 2022, 7:21 am

Rebooking

If I booked with QR a through ticket from the UK on 18/03/2022 to JNB to PLZ on 19/03/2022 would it be BA I need to contact about rebooking my domestic Comair flight or would it be QR please? I’m guessing it’s better to try and be proactive now? Or will they not do anything until the flights are officially cancelled?
Old Mar 15, 2022, 7:50 am

Originally Posted by Beecharmer
If I booked with QR a through ticket from the UK on 18/03/2022 to JNB to PLZ on 19/03/2022 would it be BA I need to contact about rebooking my domestic Comair flight or would it be QR please? I’m guessing it’s better to try and be proactive now? Or will they not do anything until the flights are officially cancelled?
It's definitely Qatar unless the cancellation is very late and made on the day, in which case Comair at JNB would resolve it. Normally it does require a cancellation for the agent to act, I wouldn't assume QR are fully informed about this, but a cancellation is something that triggers a rebooking process regardless of cause.
Beecharmer likes this.
Old Mar 15, 2022, 8:00 am

Thank you so much. I will query it with them. If it isn’t cancelled by the date of arrival in JNB are comair/BA obliged to find me alternative travel and/or accommodation? I have checked and it seems all flights are fully booked for 19/03/2022

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
It's definitely Qatar unless the cancellation is very late and made on the day, in which case Comair at JNB would resolve it. Normally it does require a cancellation for the agent to act, I wouldn't assume QR are fully informed about this, but a cancellation is something that triggers a rebooking process regardless of cause.
Old Mar 15, 2022, 8:18 am

Originally Posted by Beecharmer
Thank you so much. I will query it with them. If it isn’t cancelled by the date of arrival in JNB are comair/BA obliged to find me alternative travel and/or accommodation? I have checked and it seems all flights are fully booked for 19/03/2022
Yes they are obliged to look after you, but you may need to consider alternative / indirect ways to get to Port Elizabeth if necessary. If obvious alternatives are full then I doubt Qatar can do much either.
Beecharmer likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.