Search

Merging BA Bookings when Checking in

Search this Thread

Old Mar 9, 2022, 4:45 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Gold
Merging BA Bookings when Checking in

Hi Guys

I have a DUB to SFO coming up for business. This cheaper then booking LHR to SFO via PHL - and I've then got a separate LHR to DUB booking.

Does anyone know, if when checking in BA are able to merge the bookings, so instead of collecting my bags in DUB and re-checking them in, if it's possible to get them from LHR to PHL - even though that route is across two bookings?

Thanks!
N
Old Mar 9, 2022, 4:47 am

The short answer is no. I mean, they could potentially do that (bear in mind you'll need to pick up the bags again in PHL) but for commercial reasons - precisely to discourage the kind of booking you've described - they aren't likely to do that.
SxMan and orbitmic like this.
Old Mar 9, 2022, 4:52 am
Original Poster

Thanks, I thought this would probably be the answer I'll see how the guys in First Wing feel about it, and report back Either way I've enough time and soforth to do it - it would obviously just be a lot easier to re-check the bags once rather than twice!
Old Mar 9, 2022, 5:14 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Miles and More(FTL), IHG(Platinum), Accor, HHonors(Diamond), SPG, Hertz Five Star
Originally Posted by Neil Scrivener
Hi Guys

I have a DUB to SFO coming up for business. This cheaper then booking LHR to SFO via PHL - and I've then got a separate LHR to DUB booking.

Does anyone know, if when checking in BA are able to merge the bookings, so instead of collecting my bags in DUB and re-checking them in, if it's possible to get them from LHR to PHL - even though that route is across two bookings?

Thanks!
N
Assumining you are doing LHR-DUB on one ticket and then DUB back to LHR s part of the transatlantic ticket....

you will not be able to merge the bookings, additionally i do not think the bags would be able to be routed LHR-DUB-LHR-PHL

Depending on the timing of the flights you may be able to check the bags in from LHR to PHL prior to your LHR-DUB flight

Alternatively you could leave the bags in left luggage at LHR landside, collect them from there when you get back from Dublin and check them in
Old Mar 9, 2022, 5:16 am

Are you coming back via London or flying onwards directly? If you're connecting in London then you may be able to drop the bags in just for the US flight. If you're connecting to AA or EI then no chance
The _Banking_Scot likes this.
Old Mar 9, 2022, 6:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
If you really have to check baggage, leave it downstairs at T5 and pay the small charge - do DUB and back and then go grab luggage and check it in at the First Wing. Why cart it to Ireland and back ?!
becks1 likes this.
Old Mar 9, 2022, 6:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
Funny how FT automatically assumes that the OP is coming back through LHR en route to the US.

I imagine the OP is actually flying DUB-PHL-SFO on AA and wants to through-check on the separate tickets.
Neil Scrivener likes this.
Old Mar 9, 2022, 7:38 am

Programs: BAEC Gold! Thanks to FT
Originally Posted by craigthemif
Funny how FT automatically assumes that the OP is coming back through LHR en route to the US.

I imagine the OP is actually flying DUB-PHL-SFO on AA and wants to through-check on the separate tickets.
I thought that and DUB has preclearance so no need to reclaim in PHL. Either way don’t count on through checking on separate tickets.
Old Mar 9, 2022, 7:54 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by craigthemif
a fair assumption when posting in the BA board and asking about BA bookings?
Old Mar 9, 2022, 8:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Falkirk, Scotland,VS Red, BA Gold, HH Diamond,UK Amex Plat
Programs: Master of the Privy Purse des Muccis
Hi

hopefully the op will return and provide full details of his route ( ie is it a b2b in dub , a layover in dub before going via London or going dub direct to phl and sfo so that we can provide the most appropriate advice

Regards
tbs
Old Mar 9, 2022, 8:47 am

Programs: BA GfL & GGL, FB Platinum, MB Titanium, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by KeaneJohn
I thought that and DUB has preclearance so no need to reclaim in PHL. Either way don’t count on through checking on separate tickets.
Interesting. I didn't know that. I thought that even if having done pre-clearance and landing as a domestic that you still had to collect baggage at the first port of entry in the US. You learn something new each day!
Old Mar 9, 2022, 11:55 am
Original Poster

Sorry guys to clarify:

Booking 1. LHR to DUB on BA metal.

(3.5hrs in Dublin)

Booking 2. DUB to PHL then to SFO on AA metal.

As a point of ease, I did wonder/hope the bags could 'automatically' go from Booking 1 to Booking 2, in Dublin.... I still have a 3.5hr layover, so it's not a huge issue either way.

The return is the same. So it's SFO -> PHL -> DUB -> LHR....where I've LOVE my bags to be checked in at SFO and arrive at LHR....but I'll save that for the AA Forum

Does that help answer your questions?

Thanks!
N
Old Mar 9, 2022, 12:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K;BA Silver;AA G;HH Dia;HY Glob
Originally Posted by Neil Scrivener
Sorry guys to clarify:

Booking 1. LHR to DUB on BA metal.

(3.5hrs in Dublin)

Booking 2. DUB to PHL then to SFO on AA metal.

As a point of ease, I did wonder/hope the bags could 'automatically' go from Booking 1 to Booking 2, in Dublin.... I still have a 3.5hr layover, so it's not a huge issue either way.

The return is the same. So it's SFO -> PHL -> DUB -> LHR....where I've LOVE my bags to be checked in at SFO and arrive at LHR....but I'll save that for the AA Forum

Does that help answer your questions?

Thanks!
N
Unfortunately BA does not through check on separate tickets so I would prepare myself for claiming bags at DUB and rechecking.
The _Banking_Scot likes this.
Old Mar 9, 2022, 12:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Falkirk, Scotland,VS Red, BA Gold, HH Diamond,UK Amex Plat
Programs: Master of the Privy Purse des Muccis
Hi

And also for the return AA does not check bags on separate tickets on different PNRs so expect to collect them again in Dublin on your return.

Regards

TBS
wrp96 and jerry a. laska like this.
Old Mar 9, 2022, 12:11 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
The joys of separate ticket!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.