Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Back to the Future - all flights showing at 1/1/70

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 7, 2022, 1:09 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA CCR/GGL, Hilton Diamond

I've gone back a few pages and haven't seen the issue raised, so apologies if it's been raised before. I tried to check in for my flight today and couldn't as the flight, and all other future flights, had reverted to a date of 1/1/70. Anyone else had this?
Old Mar 7, 2022, 1:15 pm

Programs: BA Exec Club, Flying Blue
Originally Posted by LondonAndy
I've gone back a few pages and haven't seen the issue raised, so apologies if it's been raised before. I tried to check in for my flight today and couldn't as the flight, and all other future flights, had reverted to a date of 1/1/70. Anyone else had this?
That's an IT failure, or a bug in the app or device you are using. 1/1/70 is the beginning of time for modern computers . Something's forgotten what the current date today is ...
becks1 and SxMan like this.
Old Mar 7, 2022, 1:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
This was discussed here a couple of days ago Strange happenings on booking [Flights showing as 01 Jan 1970 - 00:00]

Seems to be the app not so much on the main website ?
Old Mar 7, 2022, 1:42 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold. GGL/CCR.
Sounds like a delayed Y2K problem.
mikeyfly and SxMan like this.
Old Mar 10, 2022, 5:45 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
This needs to be highlighted again. It is more than an amusing IT failure, it basically means your booking may well be screwed and you will need it fixed with a new ticket reissued.

If anyone has a booking showing 1970 dates I very strongly recommend you contact BA well before your trip to get this fixed.
Old Mar 13, 2022, 11:15 pm
Hilton 5+ BadgeHyatt 5+ Badge

Programs: BA GGL, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Mucci des Salons Ouvrants
So I contacted the GGL line ref this and it seems the chap I spoke to had never seen this before. I had to take screenshots of my bookings and send them to him so he could chat to the service centre. This affects all my future bookings bar one!

it was a nightmare as the only way I could get a boarding pass was to check in online, email myself the pdf boarding pass and then try and find a printer while I was travelling. If not I would have had to stand in the hour long queue at Manchester which is not in my plans.

This really is a low for BA IT - but I fear it won’t get fixed. This has occurred on bookings made in the last couple of days as well as longer term bookings so I would urge everyone to check their bookings in the app - if you can’t see them they will be under past bookings!!

If anyone has managed a fix, I would be delighted to hear as this is a right PITA.

regards aks120
SxMan likes this.
Old Mar 14, 2022, 12:05 am

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL (OWE), SA LifePlat (*G), BD Gold to the end, Hilton Diamond
I have the same issue. 19 bookings have the 1970 date for all sectors although all are looking fine on MMB.

Last weekend and this weekend, AA have cancelled their flights within the booking as Sabre apparently sees the 19790 date the app is picking up so I’ve had to call BA to get the flights reinstated both weekends.

2 other bookings have the correct dates and one has the outbound with the correct date and the return with the 1970 date. I cannot access this one via MMB.

Having looked at the bookings there is no logic that I can see to which bookings display as 1970. All the affected bookings were made pre the recent IT issue.

I reported it last week and it has apparently been escalated to the web and IT teams but no feedback yet.
Old Mar 14, 2022, 12:36 am

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL (OWE), SA LifePlat (*G), BD Gold to the end, Hilton Diamond
…and re the AA flights cancelling because of the 1970 date issue, you get an email from BA saying the flight is cancelled so it looks like one of the usual cancellations due to the Maria’s of schedule changes AA process, but the underlying AA flights are still operating.

If this happens closer to the flight dates, it is quite possible the cabin will sell out before your call BA to reinstate your booking, due to AA upgrading their elites closer to departure, so beware of sitting on an AA ‘cancellation’ if you have AA flights on a BA reservation.
Old Mar 14, 2022, 12:56 am

Programs: BA GGL - maybe only briefly!
I cant see whether the issue is with the bookings themselves or the app. I have 13 out of 15 bookings that have 1 Jan dates but only on the app - they all appear correctly on the website.

So, is it a booking issue or an app display issue? Does anyone have these 1 Jan 70 dates on all forms of MMB?
Old Mar 14, 2022, 1:03 am

Programs: BAEC GGL/CR; Hilton Diamond; Mucci des Puccis
I understand any AA sectors in a booking that are showing the 1970 date will have been auto cancelled as the interface they use sees the same issue. I travelled on a pure BA ticket with the issue yesterday from Malta without any obvious problems.

it’s a really serious problem for partner airline inclusions, and yet another reason to totally lose patience with BA. I flew to Malta with a combination of EasyJet and Ryanair and the entire process, including getting boarding passes 48 hours before without VeriFLY/Doc upload worked flawlessly. There is genuinely only so long you can tolerate a substandard offer and failure even to admit to issues let alone fix them.
Old Mar 14, 2022, 1:32 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, IHG Diamond
My flights seem fine today on the BA app.
The AA app tends to be favouring "last updated 9th Feb" at present, with the odd flight being 10hrs ago, 43 mins ago etc. regardless of when they last refreshed manually.
Old Mar 14, 2022, 2:01 am

Originally Posted by xenole
My flights seem fine today on the BA app….
Were they showing 1970 before?
Old Mar 14, 2022, 2:42 am

Programs: BA GGL, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Mucci des Salons Ouvrants
Luckily the only booking that does not seem to have reverted to 1970 is my one this week to the US and which has AA segments. I have been watching it like a hawk though as I am nervous something goes wrong. I would phone BA to check the booking but the chap yesterday obviously didn’t believe me - kept talking about my date of birth!!

I may get more animated about the Qatar bookings I have that have reverted to 1970!

aks120
Old Mar 14, 2022, 2:45 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by aks120
it was a nightmare as the only wayto I could get a boarding pass was to check in online, email myself the pdf boarding pass and then try and find a printer while I was travelling. If not I would have had to stand in the hour long queue at Manchester which is not in my plans.
I have not - so far - had this specific date problems (Android App), but there have been times in the past when for whatever reason the App hasn't allowed OLCI in its normal interface. However there is a way to get to the web format OLCI within the App - go to the flight details panel, then towards the bottom there is Manage My Booking, which then take you to the other, web based, interface for OLCI. Go through that to check-in, and either download or email the boarding pass to yourself (depending on how easy it is for the user to reach the phone's internal storage). Sometimes the App picks up that a boarding pass has been issued and so it shows the boarding pass natively. If not then just open the email or downloaded PDF, and zoom to the bar code so it takes up about a third to one half of the screen. At that point the barcode will work on both BA's own readers and at airport scanners such as LGW, LCY, LHR T3 and T5, NCL, EDI, and GLA.

The AA auto-cancellation aspect would be very problematic if it is confirmed. Theoretically codeshares on AS would also be affected. I don't think Amadeus airlines like Qatar will be affected.
Old Mar 14, 2022, 2:53 am

Thanks CWS - good top tip as I was worried that the barcode wouldn’t work when presented to a scanner from a phone.

For those wondering what this issue looks like - here is my app details (under past flights) for my trip on Friday to Zurich. All future flights are the same!

aks120

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.