Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Mother-of-two who has coeliac disease claims British Airways 'ruined' her Caribbean h

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Mother-of-two who has coeliac disease claims British Airways 'ruined' her Caribbean h

Search this Thread

Old Mar 7, 2022, 9:52 am
Original Poster

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...risps-eat.html

Sounds like poor organisation and quite a lot of entitlement from the passenger. Even says that the crew gave her some of their lunch!
redrose59 likes this.
Old Mar 7, 2022, 9:56 am

Yawn, another Daily Hate piece of 'journalism'.
Old Mar 7, 2022, 9:56 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
When I saw the thread headline I knew it had to be DM, and I could almost write the story in my head, including the photographs. To my great surprise, that's exactly what I got! If you know you have a food allergy then you should take personal responsibility to ensure you have a plan for this. You can't go 9 hours without a meal and have it traumatize your holiday?
Old Mar 7, 2022, 10:13 am

We have 3 family members who are coeliacs. We have had no issue with BA as we always reserve the meal in advance, as anyone with half a brain knows you have to do. For our child who is a coeliac we of course take extra food and snacks to ensure that they can eat throughout as and when they want to. I would assume this is what anyone with special dietary requirements does. Indeed I think you can get extra baggage allowance specifically for this.

She sounds horrifically entitled. I also don't think 9 hours without an actual meal would make anyone throw up, especially given the crew tried to help by providing some GF food for her.
bwallet, bakera, HIDDY and 11 others like this.
Old Mar 7, 2022, 10:15 am

Somebody who lacks personal responsibility chasing some compo.
Old Mar 7, 2022, 10:31 am

Programs: BA Silver
Just read this - please give me compo! 9 hours without food (and she wasn't without) is merely a long night's sleep.
LETTERBOY likes this.
Old Mar 7, 2022, 10:39 am

I'm disappointed that 'ruined' wasn't spelled in all caps.
Old Mar 7, 2022, 10:44 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by 13901
I'm disappointed that 'ruined' wasn't spelled in all caps.
I'm disappointed they didn't tell us how much her house is worth.
sl1ppy, RJD1983, orbitmic and 12 others like this.
Old Mar 7, 2022, 10:51 am

Programs: KLM, BA Silver, Etihad
I can't face reading it!
AirbusA350 likes this.
Old Mar 7, 2022, 10:55 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Can someone read the mirror-image tattoo?
Old Mar 7, 2022, 11:11 am

Programs: BA Silver, IHG Platinum
Quite hard to read that and avoid coming across as unkind in response, but did she really think she could just show up with no warning and it would be fine? She alluded to the difficulties she has had herself in the story, so that's a pretty clear shortcoming on her part.

She should have ordered a special meal and she should also have taken some food for herself just in case she was struggling to eat given her dietary needs.
bwallet, RJD1983, orbitmic and 4 others like this.
Old Mar 7, 2022, 11:19 am

The article picture shows more than 1000 kcal [1] worth of food.

That wasn't enough?

[1] 25g of cashews @ 138 kcal + 25g of almonds @ 144 kcal + cadbury buttons @ 167 kcal + butterkist popcorn @ 63 kcal + tyrrell's crisps @ 196 kcal + carrots/celery (negligible) + clementine orange @ 35 kcal + 20g cheeses @ 160 kcal + chocolate (?)
Doppy, bwallet, awayIgo and 8 others like this.
Old Mar 7, 2022, 12:14 pm

Programs: BAEC
Really silly article. With a Coeliac in the family we always order a special meal and certainly have complained, to no avail, when it was not loaded. He always carries cereal bars and oat cakes to avoid starvation. Fancy not being prepared when your health depends on it. The crew did really well to find what they did. The DM is not the most responsible paper in the world but this is a non event and should not have been reported.
Old Mar 7, 2022, 12:17 pm

Programs: Virgin Flying Club Red, Emirates Skywards Blue, BA Executive Club Blue, Amex BA
Playing devils advocate, the website states

When booking travel, staff are unable to pass on dietary information to cabin crew. When travelling, it is essential that information on your allergies is communicated to cabin crew upon boarding. Information is available on our flights on the allergens contained within the meals served.
RJD1983 likes this.
Old Mar 7, 2022, 12:18 pm

Sounds like poor organisation and quite a lot of entitlement from the passenger. Even says that the crew gave her some of their lunch!
When booking travel, staff are unable to pass on dietary information to cabin crew. When travelling, it is essential that information on your allergies is communicated to cabin crew upon boarding. Information is available on our flights on the allergens contained within the meals served.

She should have ordered a special meal and she should also have taken some food for herself just in case she was struggling to eat given her dietary needs.
LETTERBOY likes this.

Last edited by Prospero; Mar 7, 2022 at 12:46 pm Reason: Merge consecutive posts

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.