Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Noticed BA price increases - 1st March 2022

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 1, 2022, 2:58 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC GGL/CR; Hilton Diamond; Mucci des Puccis

I was tracking a few fares last night and this morning, and interested to find this afternoon they're all increased by a fair whack. Google flights at time of typing this has the lower prices, but clicking through to BA gives the higher one. It seems to be across the board.

I also thought it might be an artefact of the IT issues, but it does seem to be intended. I was playing with ultra low DUB-LHR fares (there were some for £12) but all the fun has stopped now.
Old Mar 1, 2022, 4:11 pm

Programs: BA Executive Club and OnBusiness
Same observation - looking to book flights in business class from UK/EU to US east coast end of April - prices have basically doubled since yesterday
Old Mar 1, 2022, 4:33 pm

Programs: Mucci, BAEC, Eurostar
Actually, I saw that a lot of J reward availability went on the SFO route this morning and I thought to myself a sale must be coming. Fares going up is another sign, drying up inventory before dropping sale prices, right?
SxMan likes this.
Old Mar 1, 2022, 4:53 pm

Programs: BA Silver
Unsurprising given the vastly improved catering on BA of late.
Old Mar 1, 2022, 6:11 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, EK Skywards (enhanced Blue !), Oman Air Sindbad Gold
Originally Posted by smokie36
Unsurprising given the vastly improved catering on BA of late.
It is perhaps in the interests of those new to FT vernacular - and / or unfamiliar with BA inflight services - that a suitable emoji be added at the end of such comments ; purely to reduce the risk of your words being taken at face value ………. 😌
DelTroon, SxMan, DYKWIA and 5 others like this.
Old Mar 1, 2022, 9:17 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, ITA Volare Executive
We’re there not some fares in the TP run thread that had to be booked by 28 Feb? This could be an effect of that.
orbitmic likes this.
Old Mar 1, 2022, 9:42 pm

JFK-LHR price is mostly back to pre pandemic level
Old Mar 1, 2022, 11:12 pm

Programs: BAGGL, A3G, Accor Gold, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond, LHW Sterling
My general sense from keeping an eye on things is that the SH market has been tight all year, maybe more so now, but there are some bargains to be had long haul.
Old Mar 2, 2022, 12:28 am

Programs: BA GGL, A3*G, Mucci de l'expertise des Apps
There were a lot of longhaul CW fares that simply had an expiry of 28th Feb.
orbitmic likes this.
Old Mar 2, 2022, 12:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by EDIwanderer
We’re there not some fares in the TP run thread that had to be booked by 28 Feb? This could be an effect of that.
exactly. If what the op is tracking are fares that seem pretty good, always check the fare rules. Many are only offered during a short purchasing period - usually a few weeks, but 3 day sales are not unheard of and even single day sales have occurred.

Then you know by when you need to decide if you don’t want ba to decide for you…
EDIwanderer likes this.
Old Mar 2, 2022, 2:00 am

Programs: Sir Ratechaser Seigneur de la Patience d'un Saint (Mucci), BA Silver, Starbucks Gold
Is this base fare increases, or carrier charges? Whilst we know that the latter are absolutely not a fuel surcharge (perish the thought), the current oil price could nonetheless be having an effect
Old Mar 2, 2022, 2:14 am

Programs: BA (LTG), Miles&More (whatever the lowest level is), Oyster card (zones 1-2)
Looking at prices beyond BWC expiry, it is clear BA is being a *lot* more bullish than its European and ME peers when it comes to what they expect people will pay. Whether they have called it right, or are being overly optimistic, we will see.
Old Mar 2, 2022, 2:58 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC GGL/CR; Hilton Diamond; Mucci des Puccis
Well, it's back to where it was this morning. So the theory about an IT glitch may be true.

I guess if you bought a ticket yesterday it would be reasonable to look at the price and consider FTV and rebook.
Old Mar 2, 2022, 4:59 am

Programs: BA GGL, LH FTL
There is a longterm upwards trend in BA fares since the pandemic (probably not surprising), interrupted by the occasional sale:

The figures are the average lowest fares across all destinations (essentially what you see on ba.com when you look at the lowest fare finder page), so they are not what most people pay, rather what people would pay in the best case scenario. You can ignore the up and down spikes for early 2021, there was an issue with the data feed.

The full data is at https://speedbird.online/farearchive.php.
Old Mar 2, 2022, 6:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by bisonrav
Well, it's back to where it was this morning.
Are you doing anything other than superficially looking at the prices on ba.com and Google Flights? Have you looked at filed fares, underlying fare rules, availability patterns, etc?

As always, the plural of anecdote is not data.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.