Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

40,000 avois or space available one cabin upgrade

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 25, 2022, 10:22 am
Original Poster

Hi all,

if you were to pick one customer service gesture to accept - do you think 40,000 avios or a space available 1 cabin upgrade is better

thanks
Old Feb 25, 2022, 10:55 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold. GGL/CCR.
Upgrade please.
Old Feb 25, 2022, 11:02 am

Programs: BA Gold (ex-GGL, maybe future Silver), Hilton Diamond
What does "space available" mean? Guaranteed, if there is even one seat in a revenue bucket (ignoring overselling)? If so, I'd take the upgrade as long as I was flying long haul.

If it's subject to further conditions, I'd take the avios (especially if I tended to be flexible on dates and booked a long time in advance).
Old Feb 25, 2022, 11:12 am

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL (OWE), SA LifePlat (*G), BD Gold to the end, Hilton Diamond
Space available meant available on the day of travel when I used such a goodwill gesture.
I think it was actually confirmed when the flight was under airport control?
Old Feb 25, 2022, 11:26 am

Programs: BA GGL, LH FTL
Originally Posted by gcuk
Space available meant available on the day of travel when I used such a goodwill gesture.
I think it was actually confirmed when the flight was under airport control?
I had one confirmed 3 days before departure, so would assume it happens when BA knows that there will be space available.
Old Feb 25, 2022, 11:34 am

Programs: BA Silver (for now)
What have they offered you that for?
Old Feb 25, 2022, 11:41 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Is this hypothetical or real-world?
Old Feb 25, 2022, 11:43 am

Programs: BA, Hilton
I assume a space available upgrade applies to a sector rather than a booking, so you don't get both legs on a return!

Even assuming that, if I had any long haul planned I would take that. Yes, WTP to CW and CW to F can be less than 40k but the (apparent) much greater availability to use it over UuA would swing it I think.
Old Feb 25, 2022, 11:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
Not sure I’d want the “will I won’t I?” Uncertainty of a space available, at least with the 40k Avios you know what cabin you are going to be in when you redeem them.

There’s enough to think about pre long haul now with tests, forms etc without worrying about whether you’re getting the premium seat or the seat you’ve paid for …
BertieBadger likes this.
Old Feb 25, 2022, 11:49 am

Originally Posted by mikeyfly
Not sure I’d want the “will I won’t I?” Uncertainty of a space available, at least with the 40k Avios you know what cabin you are going to be in when you redeem them.
Fair point, and one I hadn't considered, but I'd think of it not so much as a guarantee, but more like the opportunity to create your own OpUp, which are always enjoyable!

Lovely if it happens, travel in the booked cabin if not (I assume if it doesn't happen you keep the voucher, and can try again!)
Old Feb 25, 2022, 12:16 pm
Original Poster

they mean I think they can’t make the decision until on the day, and if there’s any seat free in the upgrade cabin you would be upgraded - if not you would still retail the upgrade but be able to use it a different time

Originally Posted by Cymro
What does "space available" mean? Guaranteed, if there is even one seat in a revenue bucket (ignoring overselling)? If so, I'd take the upgrade as long as I was flying long haul.

If it's subject to further conditions, I'd take the avios (especially if I tended to be flexible on dates and booked a long time in advance).
Old Feb 25, 2022, 12:16 pm
Original Poster

real world
Originally Posted by LondonElite
Is this hypothetical or real-world?
Old Feb 25, 2022, 12:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
Presumably your stack, or lack of, Avios is a big consideration too
Old Feb 25, 2022, 12:26 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
I’d take the upgrade, but only if WT+ to CW. I doubt I’d do it for anything else.
Old Feb 25, 2022, 12:30 pm

Originally Posted by LondonElite
I’d take the upgrade, but only if WT+ to CW. I doubt I’d do it for anything else.
Does a space available upgrade cover all the 'taxes'? If so makes this option more attractive
englisha likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.