Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

BA silver benefits flying AA (or for that matter any other OW carrier)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BA silver benefits flying AA (or for that matter any other OW carrier)

Search this Thread

Old Feb 21, 2022, 10:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by ratechaser
Originally Posted by Cymro
On the outbound, I'm not sure if there's a code share, but BA will treat the 1h 39 in DFW as an illegal connection. While the booking would be protected, it could still be very fraught and, if availability is tight, it could be a long wait in Dallas.
Another fair point re the connection (that said AA are happy selling it...).
If AA will sell AA51 --> AA1507, then why would BA treat this as illegal? And how could a connection be illegal but unprotected? It is either legal and protected, however risky; or it is illegal and cannot be booked. In addition, it looks like this can also be booked as BA1504 --> AA1507, but there is no BA code on that flight and it seems that BA1944 at 1900 (ops AA1547) is the only BA code DFW-CUN that day.
Old Feb 21, 2022, 10:33 am
Original Poster

Programs: Sir Ratechaser Seigneur de la Patience d'un Saint (Mucci), BA Silver, Starbucks Gold
Originally Posted by Globaliser
If AA will sell AA51 --> AA1507, then why would BA treat this as illegal? And how could a connection be illegal but unprotected? It is either legal and protected, however risky; or it is illegal and cannot be booked. In addition, it looks like this can also be booked as BA1504 --> AA1507, but there is no BA code on that flight and it seems that BA1944 at 1900 (ops AA1547) is the only BA code DFW-CUN that day.
...which would certainly explain why all the options available via BA get in to CUN far later in the evening than I'd like.

This is all an education for me - my naive assumption was that every flight would have corresponding codeshare BA numbers by virtue of being within the OW alliance and because it could legitimately be combined with another codeshare flight...

It also makes any minor point about missing double TPs by booking outside of BAH a bit moot - if it's not going to be a BA coded flight, it wouldn't be eligible anyway. Looks like it's over to TUI then!
Old Feb 21, 2022, 10:37 am

Programs: BA Gold (ex-GGL, maybe future Silver), Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Globaliser
If AA will sell AA51 --> AA1507, then why would BA treat this as illegal?
I've had an issue in the past where BA would auto-cancel any connection in the US less than two hours, even though it was a legal connection on AA.
Old Feb 21, 2022, 11:18 am

Programs: AM Plat, UA Plat, AA Gold, Bonvoy Titanium, Amex Plat
If you connect international to international, all on AA, at DFW, then you'll get an ITI pass, you will not need to pick up and recheck your bag, and you have a pretty good chance of making the connection.
ratechaser likes this.
Old Feb 21, 2022, 11:19 am

Originally Posted by Cymro
I'm not sure if DFW is the exceptional US airport where you don't have to collect and re-check your bags, but any delay due to immigration and/or bags would make this a tough connection even if it's legal.
It is, along with MIA. I would have no problem buying any connection that meets MCT for the airport concerned, at least on a single ticket. Chances of missing it are very low, oneworld hubs have prioritised connection assistance if it’s looking tight, and I know they’d rebook me immediately in the unlikely event it didn’t work out.
ratechaser likes this.
Old Feb 21, 2022, 11:29 am
Original Poster

Programs: Sir Ratechaser Seigneur de la Patience d'un Saint (Mucci), BA Silver, Starbucks Gold
Originally Posted by Confus
It is, along with MIA. I would have no problem buying any connection that meets MCT for the airport concerned, at least on a single ticket. Chances of missing it are very low, oneworld hubs have prioritised connection assistance if it’s looking tight, and I know they’d rebook me immediately in the unlikely event it didn’t work out.
That's very good to know, especially as the return leg is via MIA! Didn't realise there was any transit-like option for the US.

I have previously seen some Caribbean islands offer pre clearance for the US, but don't recall it being offered at CUN...
Old Feb 21, 2022, 12:34 pm
VFR

Programs: AA PP, DL PM
You will receive the following benefits flying economy on AA as a BA Silver (some of these exceed the published oneworld sapphire benefits and MCE is only for joint business elites):

- Priority check in / priority security / group 3 boarding (everyone on the booking)
- Two 50 lb checked bags per person, with priority delivery tags (everyone on the booking)
- Access to Main Cabin Extra (extra legroom, free liquor except AA is not serving liquor right now) or preferred seating (everyone on the booking).
- Access to the Flagship Lounge, Admirals Club, and/or oneworld business class lounge (the DFW flight is moving to LHR T5; you get BA in LHR T5; BA, CX, or QF in LHR T3). (cardholder + 1).

One last note: if you book a Basic Economy fare, you should retain most of these benefits (including checked baggage which is a difference from BA)... I haven't seen a data point about whether non-AA elites get free seat selection / MCE on Basic Economy or not, but AA elites do.
Old Apr 19, 2024, 3:10 am

Programs: WFBF, Marriott Titanium
Is there any experience in how long it takes AA's systems to recognize a status increase and make MCE seats free? I became BA Silver (oneWorld Sapphire) 3 business days ago.

I have had AA agents remove and re-add my BA number to the reservation yesterday and the MCE seats are still showing as payable. Any other tricks/ways to have AA recognize BA partner status?
Old Apr 20, 2024, 7:32 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, IHG Diamond
The one time I was silver, and progressed to GGL for the first time after some nice jaunts (or gold), it took around 2-3 days, after my trip finished unfortunately.

Was emerald on my AA boarding pass on Thursday night (silver on my BA BPs), and then sapphire on Friday when i checked in for my next AA flights even though I dropped to Silver 3 months ago.

AA's systems seem a bit random.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.