Community
Wiki Posts
Search

T5 Luggage Delays

Search this Thread

Old Feb 20, 2022, 8:15 pm

Programs: Hilton credit card Diamond, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by 1Aturnleft
How about costs for ski equipment rental? Equipment failed to emerge GVA-LHR at LHR and had a separate onward ticket LHR-DEN the following day. Is there any recourse in this situation? London is home. In Colorado for a week before flying back to the UK.
This has been discussed earlier in the thread starting at post 17.
Old Feb 20, 2022, 9:30 pm

Originally Posted by jbeckett
This has been discussed earlier in the thread starting at post 17.
Not really. Firstly the affected flight where baggage went astray is an inbound to my home destination. Separate ticket commenced following day outbound to the US... Secondly I'm here for a week before returning back to the UK. In all likelihood my skis aren't going to catch up with me before I return to the UK. The devil being in the detail my concern is BA will consider this an inbound to home destination on the GVA-LHR flught as opposed to me being stranded without my luggage and ignore the separate reservation the following day and refuse payment for rentals that I submit.
Old Feb 20, 2022, 9:57 pm

Programs: BA GGL, TK E (*G), ITA exec
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
I use SPF 50 and decant into a 100 ml bottle for this. That's enough for several weeks. I use a Boots DEET mosquito spray, which is 100ml but I've found that generally speaking local knowledge and advice works best. So some Caribbean islands have burning citrus coils - works very well there, but doesn't work that well in West Africa, where a local supplied version does work.
I understand for a single person, but for 3/4 people with high usage I think it's not really convenient, especially for spray versions.

Beside, when you have your spouse firmly convinced hand baggage should just be a backpack/computer bag and everything else must be checked...
Old Feb 20, 2022, 10:13 pm

Programs: BA GGL, TK E (*G), ITA exec
Originally Posted by mikeyfly
You buy them at the airport after security… my way anyway. I know this doesn’t help if you’ve got multiple legs
I've yet to find a place - Caribbean, Asia or Africa - with anything over 40 FPS and/or that doesn't have an indecent price.
LCSinTexas and becks1 like this.
Old Feb 21, 2022, 1:42 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by 1Aturnleft
Not really. Firstly the affected flight where baggage went astray is an inbound to my home destination. Separate ticket commenced following day outbound to the US... Secondly I'm here for a week before returning back to the UK. In all likelihood my skis aren't going to catch up with me before I return to the UK. The devil being in the detail my concern is BA will consider this an inbound to home destination on the GVA-LHR flught as opposed to me being stranded without my luggage and ignore the separate reservation the following day and refuse payment for rentals that I submit.
There is one aspect to the earlier post that may help: what would you do if it was certain BA would never pay a penny in this scenario?

From what I can make out BA does operate on the basis of need rather than entitlement. So if you had clear plans to use the skis and BA delayed them, then I can't see there being a problem. But it is a peril of what I presume is separate ticketing. If you had a through ticket to GVA then you would surely be covered.
1Aturnleft likes this.
Old Feb 21, 2022, 4:23 am

Programs: BA GGL & CCR, GFL
For those trying to get through to the BA baggage help line, use 0344 493 0785 but do not select any options, just use the # key (repeatedly) and it'll circle you back to the call queue. Answers within 20 mins.
becks1 likes this.
Old Feb 21, 2022, 4:41 am

Programs: BA Gold
All 3 of our bags now with the courier well inside 48h, and the emails from the courier firm suggest delivery today. A decent turnaround given the circumstances - at least stuff is moving. Might even get my washbag back in time for WAW tomorrow.
Old Feb 21, 2022, 5:04 am

I’m in a BA infinity loop with my bag. Arrived in Seattle on Saturday without my bag and don’t have my baggage check ID and so can’t get added to the missing bag system.

BA changed my seat at boarding and so issued a new boarding pass, keeping the old one with the baggage tag still on it.
As I don’t have the baggage ID, I’m not able to be put in the missing bag system and so completely stuck on what to do. It looks like no one is able to discover what it was either.
Both the gold line and baggage line is unable to help me at all. Luckily I have an AirTag in my bag, so I can still see my bag is at Heathrow (just south of T5A). I’m hoping when I get back I can show to someone where my bag is on the map and someone will be willing to go searching.
I’ve now bought clothes for the week but just frustrated in being in this mess with no clue when I will ever see my bag again.
becks1 likes this.
Old Feb 21, 2022, 5:24 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by browa161
(just south of T5A).
If that's close to the T5A building, then that would be the main baggage warehouse, which at the moment probably has about 250,000 bags in it. In bad weather it's good to photo your bag tag, just in case. If you are near LHR an agent should be able to locate your baggage reference, it's on a different computer to your booking, but I think it only stays there for a few days. If the bag was found wihtout Tracer information then it can still be traced back to the original booking, but it will take longer to surface as a result.
browa161 likes this.
Old Feb 21, 2022, 5:37 am

Always remove a bag tag from a BP immediately and keep separately! One of those tips for flying BA I’m surprised more people don’t shout about…
Of course, it would be much better if they put it on a separate slip (LH) or just handed you the unstickered one (AA), but we can’t win them all
Old Feb 21, 2022, 5:46 am

I will be definitely taking photos of the tag going forwards. Hopefully it won’t be too long until the long awaited bag tracking comes to the app. Having that feature on American is a real stress reducer.
Old Feb 21, 2022, 5:48 am

Programs: M&S Elite+
BA's latest statement/excuse:

British Airways has said continuous high winds over the last few days have made it difficult to unload baggage from its planes.

The airline said stormy weather made opening the luggage hold of aircraft hard, and passengers had faced delays getting their bags after landing.

It has also struggled to land and restock its planes on time, affecting inbound and outbound plane movements.

BA apologised for "letting people down".

It added that items of machinery needed to offload bags could not be be operated in high winds.

Machinery such as scissor lifts, that are needed to load catering trucks on to aircraft, also cannot be used because of the danger they pose.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-60464257
Old Feb 21, 2022, 5:48 am

Programs: BA Silver, IHG Gold, Hilton Gold, Hertz 5*, Avis Preferred Plus, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by Mekko
All 3 of our bags now with the courier well inside 48h, and the emails from the courier firm suggest delivery today.
same here. Managed to eventually submit a baggage report last night after 24h of trying (website kept timing out).

Awoke to an email saying bag found and it’s flying up to NCL this afternoon.

Not bad, if true.
Old Feb 21, 2022, 5:53 am

Programs: BA Gold; MB Ti; HH Diamond; IHG Plat; RR Gold
Originally Posted by DaveS
BA's latest statement/excuse:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-60464257
I particularly like the "load catering trucks on to aircraft" quote in that story, there I was thinking the truck was what they brought food in to get to the aircraft!

Last edited by dakaix; Feb 21, 2022 at 5:54 am Reason: Add quote
Old Feb 21, 2022, 6:30 am

So Heathrow won't let you go to arrivals to collect bags that are there.

I'm going to book a one way domestic flight and then just get down to arrivals so I can collect my bags.

BA tracker is saying they still don't know where they are. Absurd.
wrp96 and SxMan like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.