Wiki Posts
Search

Diverted from LCY to LGW

Search this Thread

Old Feb 14, 2022, 2:55 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold
Diverted from LCY to LGW

Yesterday the flight from Malaga to LCY took off over an hour late as captain said there was a technical issue, then on approach to LCY we had a go around at quite last minute as captain first said there airport was "out of limits" and then when we eventually arrived at LGW he said the instrument landing system wasn't working at LCY. Needless to say we sat on tarmac for nearly an hour for a bus to deplane and long luggage wait time. I got home nearly 4 hours late ! However when I looked at LCY arrivals plenty of planes landed before and after we were due ? How do I claim for my rail fare etc, I used my credit card to tap in and out so will only have a statement will that be ok and where do I send it. BA on the plane gave no info and there was no BA presence at all in luggage hall or arrivals.
Old Feb 14, 2022, 4:08 pm

Programs: BA
Living next to LCY, I saw it go around (actually heard it doing so first, it makes you look out, it was after dark but saw your lights). BA from Zurich did likewise around the same time, you will have seen them at Gatwick too. There was indeed a sudden storm and rain squall blew up around that time, our garden summer furniture was overturned this morning, which likely happened then. If the ILS was out for an hour or so (when there seemed no arrivals) while they reset it, and they were doing manual approach in those conditions, I'd have been for diverting as well.
becks1 and Yoshi212 like this.
Old Feb 14, 2022, 4:24 pm

Programs: BA Gold; FB Silver; SPG; IHG Gold
I was jogging late yesterday evening around there and as I was running run towards Excel I saw a prop go around- couldn't see what it was, but I can say that it was a thoroughly filthy evening so it would not surprise me at all if a few planes had to divert, albeit I assumed that Southend was the nearest/usual place to divert to.
Old Feb 14, 2022, 5:59 pm

Programs: Mucci, BAEC, Eurostar
It's unfortunate but yes your statement will do. BA would have to use it just for that so you'll be alright with even your credit card statement, GDPR would limit their use of it if you worry about that.

On LGW rather than SEN I'd expect if the plane had enough fuel it's easier for BA to manage at an airport where they have staff!
Old Feb 15, 2022, 12:33 am

While SEN used to be the usual diversion option from LCY, the passenger terminal at SEN has been closed for months (and isn't scheduled to reopen for a few months yet). So SEN wasn't an option.
Old Feb 15, 2022, 1:17 am

Programs: VS FC Gold, BA EC Gold, Amex Centurion, EK Gold, ex-G-ATVK driver
At one time, certainly in the 90s and early 2000s, Biggin Hill was frequently used as an alternate for London City for some operators. During morning fog, you could pretty much guarantee it. It didn't make for a good start to the day: Biggin has no efficient public transport links into town, so you're dependent on the airline supplied bus or arranging your own cab.
Old Feb 15, 2022, 3:24 am

Programs: Hilton Honors Gold, Marriott Gold, BA Silver, Hertz President's Club
Originally Posted by Calm down dear
How do I claim for my rail fare etc, I used my credit card to tap in and out so will only have a statement will that be ok and where do I send it.
https://www.britishairways.com/trave...service-portal is where you submit you claim. Fairly straightforward and I have been diverted before (from AMS to RTM) and was very simple to claim for travel. In theory, they will cover the cost of getting from LGW to LCY but depending on where home is and how much you're asking them for, they will give you the whole lot (in my case, it was €1 in it).

As to receipts, your credit card statement should be fine. If not, go to tfl.gov.uk and register for an account, then link your payment card that you used to the account and you'll able to see a full statement.
Old Feb 15, 2022, 5:53 am

Programs: BA
If you are not specifically going to LCY itself then Gatwick is really the next best option for getting elsewhere in London. Not only has Southend airport been closed for probably over a year now, but there was (once again) no train service on the line from the impressive-but scarcely-used airport station there to London all weekend (and apparently will be so every weekend until Easter).

The last time I was cancelled into LCY and had to return to Heathrow, I didn't claim for travel back to LCY (a few pounds on the Underground), but BA gave me Avios that saved a three-figure sum on my next holiday booking.
IFlyPlanes likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.