Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Advice needed—parents denied boarding LHR/proof of vaccine

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Advice needed—parents denied boarding LHR/proof of vaccine

Search this Thread

Old Feb 14, 2022, 7:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by psusaver
I was going to ask why BA wasnt giving travel credit at least, so I am glad to see this. Yes, the delay is sad but hopefully this helps them pack that another gift they bought but left on the counter (just talking what I have done before).
As long as you are at the desk 2/3 hours before departure, presumably under Book With Confidence you can always convert to a voucher before check in closes if paperwork is not in order? Exceptions I guess around BAH
psusaver likes this.
Old Feb 14, 2022, 7:16 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by choosethedrew
This got me thinking whether my own NHS proof of vaccine record will pass muster...

Passport: Mr Pepe Le Pew
NHS: Mr Pepe R Le Pew

Obviously my DOB and everything else matches. Will it be OK?
NHS names are often different to passport names. The NHS tends to use the names that people actually call themselves, so I've even seen someone called Honey Armstrong, and I very much doubt that was what the priest read out at the font. That's an extreme example, but Jonty as an NHS name is quite common in the NE when the passport will say Jonathan. For travelling this is OK, since BA check-in is very much aware of this. It may cause a problem with VeriFLY since some agents that do manual checks like a precise match, others would be OK with this. Clearly if your flight was booked as Pepe R le Pew then VeriFLY and reservation would match, and no-one is going to notice the mismatch on the passport. So in short, it's fine.
Old Feb 14, 2022, 7:26 am

Programs: BA Gold (ex-GGL, maybe future Silver), Hilton Diamond
I'd redact that name, if it's correct - there are in fact three people born with that name and surname combination, with that as a middle name between 1916-2007.
(I won't give middle names, but suffice to say that all three sound like they could be a product in the health food aisle at Boots).
choosethedrew likes this.
Old Feb 14, 2022, 7:31 am

Programs: BA Gold, KFC 'The Colonel's Club' Palladium tier, Mucci des Visions Célestes du Nord-Pas-de-Calais
Originally Posted by Cymro
I'd redact that name, if it's correct - there are in fact three people born with that name and surname combination, with that as a middle name between 1916-2007.
(I won't give middle names, but suffice to say that all three sound like they could be a product in the health food aisle at Boots).
Yes, it's really me

wrp96, mikeyfly and DiamondMile like this.
Old Feb 14, 2022, 7:32 am

Originally Posted by choosethedrew
Yes, it's really me
We may need to move you to the DYKWIA thread in that case, but I was referring to corporate_wage_slave's mention of someone who sounded like a health food product/Bond girl crossover.
wrp96 and psusaver like this.
Old Feb 14, 2022, 7:33 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
I'd redact that name, if it's correct
I had already changed the surname - Armstrong is the local version of Smith here.
wrp96, Cymro and DiamondMile like this.
Old Feb 14, 2022, 7:36 am

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
I had already changed the surname - Armstrong is the local version of Smith here.
In that case, the 1916-2007 birth index records over 3,000 absolute Honeys, most of which are combined with surnames that make for comedy gold.
Old Feb 14, 2022, 7:38 am

Programs: BA Gold, KFC 'The Colonel's Club' Palladium tier, Mucci des Visions Célestes du Nord-Pas-de-Calais
We may need to move you to the DYKWIA thread in that case, but I was referring to corporate_wage_slave's mention of someone who sounded like a health food product/Bond girl crossover.
Very glad YDKWIA, my eau de cologne is far more effective than verifly at seat blocking.
Old Feb 14, 2022, 8:29 am

Programs: DL DM, AA ExPlt, Diamond HH, HY, BW, & Titanium Elite Marriott
Originally Posted by DorsetKnob
I totally agree. Far too many companies/government depts work & design systems that work on the assumption everybody must have not only a mobile phone, but a smart phone at that and high speed internet access plus access to a printer. Thats before you assume everybody is IT literate. It is total arrogance on the part of these companies/departments. I have every sympathy with people trying to wrestle with multiple systems to complete documentation. Its ill thought out & generally ill designed. to then blame the passenger is arrogance. ...
Not to mention:
There are people in this world that still do not have cellular service, so why should they have a phone?
There are people in this world of all ages that do not have internet.
There are people that believe in privacy and do not connect every facet of their lives to the internet.
Very arrogant to believe that everyone will blindly trust "WHOEVERS" app and download it.
Old Feb 14, 2022, 8:36 am

Wow, this has gotten off topic just a bit. From answering a question about denied boarding to what is a real ID.
Old Feb 14, 2022, 8:57 am

Programs: IHG Diamond, Delta PM, Hilton Gold, Accor Gold, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by jcmalcolm
No. Real ID cards are optional and are not national ID cards. Many Americans will never have one, opting for a typical DL instead. I can use my passport or Global Entry card to easily board a domestic flight after 2023, but will never present either for any other purpose nor will I be required to.
Also, RealID cards are a form of driver's license issued by states, not the Federal government. Big difference.
I live in Florida, which has required driver’s licenses to be Real ID compliant since 2010 with no way of getting one that was not at this point.

We also have a state vaccination database that your personal physician has access to and can pull your immunization records from that to include in the health record they use. The medical practice we use even managed to get the perfesser’s Covid vaccine info pulled into their records , even though his name was wrong on his original vaccine card (think Jon instead of Jonathan)

We took advantage of the opportunity to gave his CDC card reissued so his name matches his passport when we got booster shots.
Old Feb 14, 2022, 9:00 am

Programs: AA, HH, UA, Amtrak
Originally Posted by Moonstone1234
I do think the older population are an issue here for the travel industry. Some don’t use the internet or refuse to engage with it and try and do things the old fashioned way. I now help both my parents with anything like this. My Father in particular refuses to understand requirements and used to try and use the force of his personality to get his own way. Now of course with QR codes, portals to register with etc it’s all impossible for them to understand.

Good on BA giving them a refund but in all honesty if you want to fly you will need to focus on what is needed. Check and double check requirements as a scrappy bit of paper really won’t do it.
That's a broad statement. "Babies and toddlers are a major problem for the travel industry too. Also, they dont shut up their crying most of the time *." (*exaggerating, dont meant it, dont mind it). See how I sound? Not to make this thread go towards OMNI, but let's be realistic, a lot of older folks also are the ones with money and not only do they travel, but they also pay for grandkids' travels on many occasions. Of course they might pay the kids directly. An attempt should be made so that travel is smooth for everyone and as a society we can be more helpful.
Old Feb 14, 2022, 9:10 am

Programs: CAMRA GGL (Gold Card Holder/Lifetime membership)
Originally Posted by flyingdr
Thanks everyone. For the future, I figured out what the issue is: CDC accepts all manner of proofs of vaccination, but requires that they have name plus one other identifier that can be matched to passport—ie date of birth or passport number. NHS vaccine cards only have name, so they fail.

BA was kind enough to give my folks the full value of their flights as a voucher, so we’ll reschedule their trip for a couple of weeks from now when the fares are roughly equivalent to what they initially paid.

I will say that the BA emails and website definitely didn’t make clear to my elderly parents that they needed to get a new verification of their vaccines.
That was a good result with BA

These vaccine cards are a nuisance. They are pointless and not worth the card they are written on. They have caused these issues for many others who assume they are valid for travel. What was the point of them at all?
Old Feb 14, 2022, 9:16 am

Originally Posted by hungry
That was a good result with BA

These vaccine cards are a nuisance. They are pointless and not worth the card they are written on. They have caused these issues for many others who assume they are valid for travel. What was the point of them at all?
agreed
Old Feb 14, 2022, 9:54 am

Originally Posted by BillyBleach
Even more of a shame because it was also possible if they arrived at least 2 hours before and were able to find/recall/or have someone else tell them their NHS numbers - then they could have configured the NHS app on the spot and provided the evidence there and then.

Painful lesson in not taking notice of the boarding/check in requirements.

Hmm i tried helping a non techy friend of mine set up his NHS app on thurs. Got it installed set up then they wanted pic of ID and videop of him before doing the travel covid pass. On Fri the pass available but didnt show his booster jab, therefore shows jab 2 more than 270 days old so not counted as full vaxxed ( he was one of the first to get booster) Phone the 119 number. They said they could add data in but takes 5 working days { too late} Flying to Portugal today (hopefully) Sent him to get covid test . Hopefully hes in the air now. If they insist on app they should make sure its functional !!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.