Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Italy - Self Declaration Form

Search this Thread

Old Feb 10, 2022, 4:45 am
Original Poster

Italy - Self Declaration Form

I hope this isn't a FAQ. Sorry if it is. I'm flying to Turin on Saturday and the BA MMB page has a list of things needing to be handed in. Strangely they are asking me to do this now, even though my lateral flow test cannot be done until tomorrow so it's within 24 hours of arrival.

My question, however, is they are demanding a self-declaration form. As far as I can tell, by looking at our own gov.uk websites as well as the Italian sites, all I need to do is complete a dPLF, which I have done.

So what is this self-declaration form? Can anyone who has been to Italy recently help with this please?

Thanks

Last edited by ppp909; Feb 11, 2022 at 2:20 pm
Old Feb 10, 2022, 4:50 am
Original Poster

Hmm. Actually, in answer to my own question, the Italian website has this page which states "The digital Passenger Locator Form replaces the declaration referred to in Art. 50, paragraph 1 of the Prime Ministerial Decree of 2 March 2021. In exceptional cases, namely exclusively the lack of the required technology, passengers may complete a paper-based form."

So it seems BA's own page is asking for something which is not needed. They should be asking for the dPLF. Is this right?
Old Feb 10, 2022, 5:06 am

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Diamond
They handed this form out (I think) prior to a flight I did on SQ to FCO last weekend.. we arrived as a schengen arrival and I then connected without going landside so not sure if it was needed but it was announced by the groundstaff to have it ready.

But I arrived last month in Milan on Ryanair and they only wanted to see the test result, dPLF and vaccine certificate/green pass. There were no paper forms handed out or asked for at the Italian end.
ppp909 likes this.
Old Feb 10, 2022, 5:20 am
BOH

Programs: IC Hotels Spire, BA Gold
This is an ongoing Italy farce and seems mainly to me to be airport dependent. However, my last 3 trips into Italy, (landing at GOA, MXP and TRN) have not required anything but the Vax status.

Last summer (and Summer 2020), BA diligently handed out some paper self-declaration form on-board Italy flights and told everyone it MUST be completed and handed in to Immigration on arrival. However, on every occasion Immigration were not the slightest bit interested in it. And with my last two arrivals (into MXP oand GOA), Immigration were not even interested in seeing either my negative Covid test result, or my Digital PLF, they just wanted me to prove my Vaxx status.

In the past it was amusing to see the completed hard-copy declaration forms that BA had handed out just being put into normal waste bins at MXP by most pax once it was clear Immigration had no interest in them. Those forms contained the full names, DOB, home address and full Passport details of each pax, something we are told is invaluable to someone involved in identity thefts for fraudulent mortgage, CC application etc

YMMV is a great attitude to take when dealing with Italy "rules"
justin_krusty and ppp909 like this.
Old Feb 10, 2022, 5:24 am
Original Poster

Thanks for the replies. In this case it looks like BA won't even let me check in without uploading something. I'll upload the dPLF and see what they say.
Old Feb 10, 2022, 5:28 am

PLF is what needs to be uploaded. Then you might be given a piece of paper onboard to re-write what you've already written on the PLF. Local authorities don't need it or ask for it AFAIK. Similarly, on departure from Italy you might be given another piece of paper to fill in information you've already provided.
ppp909, Lefly and SxMan like this.
Old Feb 10, 2022, 5:29 am

As someone with family in Italy so who has travelled to see them when we could from the UK over the last 2 years, the current requirements are as simplified on https://www.viaggiaresicuri.it/ The EU format Digital PLF was already in place last summer too so it is dPLF (but I always print a copy anyhow), your green pass (so vaccinated or equivalent status) and the test as you mention (with the timing window always having been from arrival in Italy).

The presentation of a paper form which basically mirrors the dPLF has been a feature on our BA flights even post dPLF, with crew collecting in even though the forms being used at the time were out of date. Not the crews fault despite polite feedback on that. Certainly in 2020 there was the need for the paper declaration and ENAC (Italian CAA) issued airlines directions on that hence the re-hand out on board/collect in. Not sure why this persists, but in my experience always only handed out on board. As a point of comparison, a re-route on LH via MUC in August/September 2021 saw only the 3 items above checked.

I would not worry so long as you have what is required by law to enter Italy. And I echo what 13901 notes too.
ppp909, Lefly and 13901 like this.
Old Feb 10, 2022, 6:21 am

Programs: BA GGL, TK E (*G), ITA exec
Self -declaration form is the name of the paper version for the dPLF. There is no QR code - or any other code - and it always looks outdated and confusing.
The dPLF is usually completely ignored on arrival from Schengen states (don't know from outside) but always required at check-in and/or gates during boarding.
ppp909 likes this.
Old Feb 10, 2022, 6:32 am

Programs: BA GGL / GFL, Mucci Diamond!, HH Diamond, Radisson Premium, IHG Gold, Hertz Gold
I uploaded the dPLF, my vaccination confirmations and the test result last time I went to Italy (NAP) - which allowed me to check in online, plus I took printed copies of both and the printed copies were looked at, briefly, at immigration.

I am heading to Rome this weekend for the rugby, but this time entering Italy from MAD on IB. I'm going to do the same on the IB site and I hope all will work well again.

Edit - have found this from a mail Iberia sent to me for my upcoming trip which may add some more background:

Last edited by ThatT1Feeling; Feb 10, 2022 at 7:43 am
Old Feb 10, 2022, 8:08 am

Originally Posted by BOH
This is an ongoing Italy farce and seems mainly to me to be airport dependent. However, my last 3 trips into Italy, (landing at GOA, MXP and TRN) have not required anything but the Vax status.

Last summer (and Summer 2020), BA diligently handed out some paper self-declaration form on-board Italy flights and told everyone it MUST be completed and handed in to Immigration on arrival. However, on every occasion Immigration were not the slightest bit interested in it. And with my last two arrivals (into MXP oand GOA), Immigration were not even interested in seeing either my negative Covid test result, or my Digital PLF, they just wanted me to prove my Vaxx status.

In the past it was amusing to see the completed hard-copy declaration forms that BA had handed out just being put into normal waste bins at MXP by most pax once it was clear Immigration had no interest in them. Those forms contained the full names, DOB, home address and full Passport details of each pax, something we are told is invaluable to someone involved in identity thefts for fraudulent mortgage, CC application etc

YMMV is a great attitude to take when dealing with Italy "rules"
I wondered how long we would need to get to the let's kick Italy post. It is BA that is handing out that form and not listening to people pointing out the actual legal framework in play so that is where your ire should rest rather than clutching at the "Italy farce".

If the law is actually consulted then in line with many other countries the airline is to check the required documents. Now of course things vary on the ground but that is in the gift of the country, just as the UK has relied on pre flight checks and hardly ever looked at PLFs etc on arrival after an initial wave of doing so. The phrase used is "al vettore al momento dellimbarco, e a chiunque sia preposto a effettuare i controlli" so essentially to the carrier at boarding [i.e. check in] and anyone that may be responsible for conducting checks.

The OP wanted some help understanding the requirements v what it appeared to be being asked by BA - hopefully they have received that in this thread. Don't get me wrong things have been frustrating in travel so I feel your frustration in general, but just felt it was a little misdirected.
Old Feb 10, 2022, 8:41 am

Programs: BA GGLfL, WoH Lifetime Globalist, HH Diamond, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by ppp909
I hope this isn't a FAQ. Sorry if it is. I'm flying to Turing on Saturday and the BA MMB page has a list of things needing to be handed in. Strangely they are asking me to do this now, even though my lateral flow test cannot be done until tomorrow so it's within 24 hours of arrival.

My question, however, is they are demanding a self-declaration form. As far as I can tell, by looking at our own gov.uk websites as well as the Italian sites, all I need to do is complete a dPLF, which I have done.

So what is this self-declaration form? Can anyone who has been to Italy recently help with this please?

Thanks
OP,

It is also possible to do a PCR test 48h in advance of arrival into Italy. On a recent BA flight to Rome, in addition to the digital PLF it was also necessary to upload, on the BA website, a health declaration form. I used Mr. Google - other search engines are available - to locate such a form, completed it and uploaded it. Shortly before arrival into Rome, a paper health declaration form was issued to all passengers with an instruction to complete and return to the on-board staff. Seems to be a duplication of effort, but such is travel these days.

Doc Copper
Old Feb 10, 2022, 9:39 am

On a BA flight to VCE last week we flew Club and were able to get our boarding pass without uploading any documents, but the rest of our group who were economy could not get their boarding pass until they had uploaded NHS Covid pass and passenger locator form. We also had to show these docs at checkin. Then on the plane had to fill in a form which was handed to crew as we departed but I suspect were not really required, as it did not look like everyone was returning them!
Old Feb 10, 2022, 11:07 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
I travel to Italy for work and it is 50/50 whether or not the BA document upload is happy and lets me check in online. All i have ever needed were the dPLF, NHS Covid pass and if you are not travelling on business the Covid test. Make sure you have a pen and your passport handy on board to fill out the bit of paper your are given by the crew. I have also once been given another form on board that the border control officer shrugged at and put in the bin. I travel a lot but these days always feel anxious I have forgotten some bit of paper or online form. It isn't actually that bad but I feel your pain on trying to work it out.
Old Feb 10, 2022, 1:46 pm
Original Poster

Thanks again everyone. Some useful info. There will be always differences and frustrations, such is the world today, but that's why I posted in the first place.
The first thing we will do in Italy is get in a car and drive over the border to France. As I understand it we don't actually need a covid test for Italy as we are transiting by private car, but we will need one for France, so we are going to do them later tomorrow afternoon so we are still within 24 hours when we get to France, traffic permitting.
Ignore this - I was wrong.

I didn't realise flying club would make a difference but we are so I will report back. I've been sent plenty of messages from BA telling me to upload documents but I can't upload the covid tests as we haven't even done them yet.

I'm also going to drop my bags tomorrow night as the flight's early on Saturday morning. I'm not too far from Heathrow so it's a good way to do it. Less time in queues in the morning.

Last edited by ppp909; Feb 10, 2022 at 2:22 pm
Old Feb 10, 2022, 1:54 pm

Programs: BA GGL, TK E (*G), ITA exec
Originally Posted by ppp909
As I understand it we don't actually need a covid test for Italy as we are transiting by private car, but we will need one for France, so we are going to do
That's not correct. You're not transiting Italy by private car, you're flying in Italy and then pick up a car to leave the country. Therefore you need the test for Italy as well.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.