Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

A350 layout - not working for crew or service!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

A350 layout - not working for crew or service!

Search this Thread

Old Feb 8, 2022, 2:42 am

Programs: BA Gold, KFC 'The Colonel's Club' Palladium tier, Mucci des Visions Célestes du Nord-Pas-de-Calais
Originally Posted by Prospero
Here is a variety of A350 LOPA diagrams, with seat counts for comparison

Interesting how BA compares to VS, does the latter have a galley of sorts in the middle? I couldn't quite make out.

I have noticed that VS serves an afternoon tea / lighter second meal than BA on LAX for example, is this similarly related?
Old Feb 8, 2022, 3:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
Originally Posted by SxMan
… sadly it was accountants who completely trashed the BBC under a certain John Birt,. They have a lot to answer for these financial boffins.
BA is run by accountants, Virgin Atlantic is generally run by creatives. One of these airlines makes a lot of money.

BA is probably banking £2,000 per long haul flight from charging for Club World seat selection, for example, which Virgin Atlantic refuses to do. Whilst we slate this policy, huge numbers of people pay up, even on here.
SpeedbirdLHR, SxMan and Pack like this.
Old Feb 8, 2022, 3:40 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by choosethedrew
Interesting how BA compares to VS, does the latter have a galley of sorts in the middle? I couldn't quite make out.

I have noticed that VS serves an afternoon tea / lighter second meal than BA on LAX for example, is this similarly related?
AEROLOPA shows that there is a galley of sorts behind the bar/lounge area:

VS Airbus A350-1000 type 1 - aeroLOPA | Detailed aircraft seat plans

However, even assuming that there isn't, it's worth highlighting that the back galley is quite larger than BA's, without loos in the way.
1Aturnleft likes this.
Old Feb 8, 2022, 4:09 am

Programs: BA Gold, KFC 'The Colonel's Club' Palladium tier, Mucci des Visions Célestes du Nord-Pas-de-Calais
Originally Posted by Raffles
...One of these airlines makes a lot of money...
True but that's not my lookout as a passenger, I know which is currently providing the better experience in J...
SxMan likes this.
Old Feb 8, 2022, 4:54 am

Programs: BA Exec Club Silver, IHG Platinum Elite, Qatar Privilege Club
When I came back from Dubai a couple of weeks ago, the forward toilet was locked-out for almost the entire flight, only unlocked in the last 45 minutes. I took it that the crew did not want passengers passing through the forward galley.
Old Feb 8, 2022, 5:02 am

Originally Posted by A P Yu
Note that they don’t plan on making changes to aircraft already delivered.

its ridiculous really, they were told before an A350 was delivered that the lack of a galley at doors two was going to cause a problem.

They chose to listen to the accountants, which I’m sure they’ll do again when the business case for any future refit has been created.
I felt a flash of anger reading this report. It's typically short-sighted and deeply disrespectful to BA's staff. When will the leaders start listening? Ignoring such a valuable resource is beyond backwards. BA's management style has to change.
Old Feb 8, 2022, 5:17 am

Programs: QRPC, BAEC
Some people (including BA advocates on the forum from 2 years ago) are missing the point, the issue is not so much about whether there is enough space or not to store food for two meals...the galleys are simply too cramped for the crew to be able to execute service well especially in WT and WTP. As others have posted above, BA is the only airline out there without a galley at door 2 (Even VS has a galley behind the Loft area - check some cabin tour videos for evidence). Combine that with a small back galley and you have a recipe for disaster service wise.

Also interesting quote from the TPG UK review of WTP on A350 below which gives you a flavour of service on board:
The meal service should be tightened up. It was ridiculous that the lunch took more than half the flight, especially when the trolleys were constantly being wheeled back and forth.
1Aturnleft likes this.
Old Feb 8, 2022, 5:39 am

Originally Posted by nomadabroad
Some people (including BA advocates on the forum from 2 years ago) are missing the point, the issue is not so much about whether there is enough space or not to store food for two meals...the galleys are simply too cramped for the crew to be able to execute service well especially in WT and WTP.
I think most are just trying to seperate the 2 claimed issues.

It has been claimed over and over again that there isnt enough space to store a full meal service on longer routes. This is not right, there is enough space.

The other claim that the working conditions for crew are cramped and far from ideal is seperate to storage capacity
DYKWIA, wrp96, KARFA and 2 others like this.
Old Feb 8, 2022, 5:53 am

Programs: British Airways Executive Club
Originally Posted by godsavethepoints
Hardy, har-har-har.
You were the first person I thought of when I saw this!
Old Feb 8, 2022, 5:53 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
In any decision making process, and particularly where committees are concerned, there are ‘musts’ and ‘wants’. In this case, it’s possible that the meal storage capacity (along with many other metrics) was one of those ‘must’ items. However, if the workability factor was a ‘want’, it is much more easy for it to be overlooked, or more accurately, outscored by other factors. i.e. revenue per square metre, for example.
Old Feb 8, 2022, 6:08 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Originally Posted by Pack
You were the first person I thought of when I saw this!
The report was still incorrect...
revorgap likes this.
Old Feb 8, 2022, 6:46 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by Exsilver
When I came back from Dubai a couple of weeks ago, the forward toilet was locked-out for almost the entire flight, only unlocked in the last 45 minutes. I took it that the crew did not want passengers passing through the forward galley.
The problem is that there is nowhere to wait for the toilet except within the galley, as the aisle is too narrow. I was last on BA's A350 in 2019 when it was nearly new, and on that flight whilst waiting for the forward toilet the crew jokingly asked me if I'd like to help them with the service, since I was in the galley! (they were juggling 50 or so desserts at the time, with plates stacked on every available surface). The lack of preparation space was obvious from the start, on that particular flight I was chatting to the captain who was very enthusiastic about his new aircraft, but said he wished BA had allowed more space for the cabin crew to work in, you'd hope that BA would listen to this sort of feedback from their employees.
wrp96, DelTroon and SirToby like this.
Old Feb 8, 2022, 7:53 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by volar
The problem is that there is nowhere to wait for the toilet except within the galley, as the aisle is too narrow. I was last on BA's A350 in 2019 when it was nearly new, and on that flight whilst waiting for the forward toilet the crew jokingly asked me if I'd like to help them with the service, since I was in the galley! (they were juggling 50 or so desserts at the time, with plates stacked on every available surface). The lack of preparation space was obvious from the start, on that particular flight I was chatting to the captain who was very enthusiastic about his new aircraft, but said he wished BA had allowed more space for the cabin crew to work in, you'd hope that BA would listen to this sort of feedback from their employees.
Didn’t BA do the same thing to some of their 777 aircraft regarding the crew rest area meaning they were restricted on flight length? I’m sure I was told that to rectify the issue some F seats had to be removed.
skipness1E likes this.
Old Feb 8, 2022, 1:47 pm

The BA apologists will never be critical.

Years ago - I said they were moving to an LCC model and was laughed at. Now look where we are.
dodgeflyer likes this.
Old Feb 8, 2022, 7:55 pm

Originally Posted by kitbag1984
The BA apologists will never be critical.

Years ago - I said they were moving to an LCC model and was laughed at. Now look where we are.
Don't panic... BA's CEO is here to put the um... into premiUM!

rb211.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.