Wiki Posts
Search

Self Pour champagne in GC South

Search this Thread

Old Feb 4, 2022, 12:34 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Silver
Self Pour champagne in GC South

Haven’t seen this mentioned yet but after the downgrade to Prosecco for a while was pleased to see self pour champagne in GC south this morning.
Old Feb 4, 2022, 6:25 am

Same in T5B last week. Some not bad wines too. Maybe improvements are starting quietly?
Grande Annee and becks1 like this.
Old Feb 4, 2022, 6:37 am

Quick easy wins to start the process of improvement.
Old Feb 4, 2022, 6:51 am

Programs: BAEC
There were several bottles of champagne in GC North on Sunday. And some excellent wines too.
Old Feb 4, 2022, 6:53 am

Programs: BA GGL / GFL, Mucci Diamond!, HH Diamond, Radisson Premium, IHG Gold, Hertz Gold
I accept that Prosecco could be seen as downgrade from most Champagnes - but I do question whether BA really needs to provide Champagne any more other than, let's say, in First Class.

The cost of Champagnes has accelerated well beyond the cost of other wines - and I'd far rather BA provided Prosecco and Cava and invested the savings in better service more generally. Next week I travel to Manchester in Economy. In the CCR I could easily drink half of the cost of my ticket in LPGS - or even more upsettingly, leave a half empty glass. I may then wonder why BA has stopped investing in the ground service at LHR or the overall service in Manchester. It would make no difference really to whether I fly BA if they replaced the LPGS with LP NV or Bolly NV, Clicquot or Taittinger etc.

We don't demand First Growth clarets as red wines in the lounges or top quality Meursault as white wines, or vintage ports as the digestif. Poor quality Champagnes can taste far worse than high quality sparkling wines from other parts of the world, but for some reason Champagne seems to be a "must have".

Before you ask, I can taste the difference - I have the WSET level 3 Wine Diploma - and I know they're different wines - but in many cases it's just a sparkling wine from a particular region, made in a certain way. It doesn't mean it's worth the money!

(I will now go and hide from the upcoming certain roasting - it's been nice knowing you all!)
Old Feb 4, 2022, 6:58 am

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by ThatT1Feeling
I accept that Prosecco could be seen as downgrade from most Champagnes - but I do question whether BA really needs to provide Champagne any more other than, let's say, in First Class.

The cost of Champagnes has accelerated well beyond the cost of other wines - and I'd far rather BA provided Prosecco and Cava and invested the savings in better service more generally. Next week I travel to Manchester in Economy. In the CCR I could easily drink half of the cost of my ticket in LPGS - or even more upsettingly, leave a half empty glass. I may then wonder why BA has stopped investing in the ground service at LHR or the overall service in Manchester. It would make no difference really to whether I fly BA if they replaced the LPGS with LP NV or Bolly NV, Clicquot or Taittinger etc.

We don't demand First Growth clarets as red wines in the lounges or top quality Meursault as white wines, or vintage ports as the digestif. Poor quality Champagnes can taste far worse than high quality sparkling wines from other parts of the world, but for some reason Champagne seems to be a "must have".

Before you ask, I can taste the difference - I have the WSET level 3 Wine Diploma - and I know they're different wines - but in many cases it's just a sparkling wine from a particular region, made in a certain way. It doesn't mean it's worth the money!

(I will now go and hide from the upcoming certain roasting - it's been nice knowing you all!)
I'd have no problem with BA choosing a range of interesting sparkling wines from around the world (perhaps Nyetimber, a Franciacorta, or a decent Cremant) but we all know that if they got rid of Champagne in CE and the GC lounges the replacement would almost certainly be a £5/bottle supermarket Cava.

There's also the challenge of supply - probably aren't that many decent sparkling wine producers who could take on something like, say, the Nicolas Feuillatte contract in CE.
Old Feb 4, 2022, 7:10 am

Programs: British Airways GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond & Marriott Gold

100% agree
Old Feb 4, 2022, 7:19 am

Programs: BA GGL / GFL, Mucci Diamond!, HH Diamond, Radisson Premium, IHG Gold, Hertz Gold
Originally Posted by PGberkshire
100% agree
😅 phew ! Thought I was talking sacrilege 😂 I am sure some will disagree with us.
Old Feb 4, 2022, 7:43 am

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold, EY Plat, etc
Good post. I think that both BA and VS have given prominence to English Sparkling wines but then again some of these are now expensive as well.

Personally I think that it is a slippery slope but think that there needs to be some differentiation between CCR/GF/GC and the Wine selection is one way to do it. From what I have seen recently people are not hitting the booze as hard as 3-4 years ago so I am not sure how much it costs as an average per passenger per day but imagine less than £1 based on what I see in GF.
Old Feb 4, 2022, 11:55 am

To be fair to BA, there was self pour champagne when we were there on 27/12. And very well received it was too.
SxMan likes this.
Old Feb 4, 2022, 2:07 pm

Not from me - I agree with all of your points.

I don't understand the obsession with LPGS (maybe it's a FT thing) or Champagne in general, but I have certainly had less pricey options that were just as good (to my palate anyway) and I could imagine the outrage if BA decided to stop serving that brand for a more budget friendly option.

I certainly concur that improvements need to be focused in other areas, however, I suspect many would accept a decent food offering and reasonable quality wines and spirits if improvements in other areas were to be achieved.
Old Feb 4, 2022, 2:30 pm

Programs: MUCCI, British Airways Executive Club Gold
Which champagne was it?
Old Feb 4, 2022, 2:52 pm

Programs: BA GGL, LH FTL
I don't know any other country in which people are so obsessed with champagne. It may well be that the leisure premium cabin travellers would never forgive BA for removing bubbly.
HIDDY likes this.
Old Feb 4, 2022, 3:00 pm

Programs: Mucci de Guardian des Celliers des Grands Crus 1e Classé, plus BAEC.
Originally Posted by LCY8737
I don't know any other country in which people are so obsessed with champagne. It may well be that the leisure premium cabin travellers would never forgive BA for removing bubbly.
Modern Champagne was essentially created by the British.

It used to be far sweeter, the Russians were big consumers, that market tailed off post-1917 ……..
nancypants likes this.
Old Feb 4, 2022, 3:18 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by tom139
Which champagne was it?
Nicolas Feuillatte.
Vaclav likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.