Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Why is the Avios Shopping portal such a disaster?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Why is the Avios Shopping portal such a disaster?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 28, 2022, 3:14 am

Programs: BA Silver, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by ThatT1Feeling
Well I have just tried to log into the portal and am told "there is a problem with your request"

All I'd done was to click on the login button... they don't help themselves do they??

Have tried again and now I'm told :

Bad Request

Your browser sent a request that this server could not understand.
Which browser are you using? I get exactly the same when I try and login using Chrome.

Edge works fine for me, though. The only time I use it is when I need to use the avios estore.
Old Jan 28, 2022, 3:22 am

Programs: BA GGL / GFL, Mucci Diamond!, HH Diamond, Radisson Premium, IHG Gold, Hertz Gold
Originally Posted by Bohinjska Bistrica
Which browser are you using? I get exactly the same when I try and login using Chrome.

Edge works fine for me, though. The only time I use it is when I need to use the avios estore.
It was Chrome on a Mac. Managed to get it to work by going incognito.

Interestingly it was trying to get me to log in to BA's internal systems (webmail etc.) at one point.
Old Jan 28, 2022, 3:31 am

I just got 27k avios from hotels.com through the portal.

lovely jubbly.

theyll probably be reversed in about 6 months. And the recredited with about 10 avios less. Seems to be the standard process
Old Jan 28, 2022, 4:25 am

Programs: BA GGL, British Midland Lifetime* Loser
Originally Posted by ThatT1Feeling
Managed to get it to work by going incognito. Interestingly it was trying to get me to log in to BA's internal systems (webmail etc.) at one point.
Same. I've reported it so many times. Presumably BA's bug-fixing process is along lines of: 1. try to replicate bug on company hardware 2. fail to replicate bug because it doesn't affect anyone on BA systems 3. shake head at supid customer, close ticket
Old Jan 28, 2022, 4:40 am

Programs: Mucci (Scirocco Sash), BAEC Gold, IHG Diamond Ambassador
I had a look on the portal off the back of this thread to see what I had earned, and delighted to see that since Dec 2020 it's been about 24k Avios, for literally doing nothing beyond occasionally remembering to click through the e-store when making purchases I was going to make anyway. So it's a nice little side earner but definitely not worth getting stressed about, some will post, some will not.
Old Jan 28, 2022, 5:14 am

Programs: BA GGL, British Midland Lifetime* Loser
A positive reversal story this morning - two booking.com transactions removed ... and replaced with a slightly higher amount
Old Jan 31, 2022, 7:33 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA LT Plat (4m+), AF Plat, A3 Gold, Hyatt Lifetime Globalist, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat/Ambassador
The part that really gets me is that there is no recourse with the vendors-- that is what is different when compared to US platforms that I am familiar with (AAdvantageeshopping for example). Whenever I have contested a charge with them, no worries- the miles are credited. No shenanigans either of "with this merchant, our agreement allows for credit in 35 days" or "with that merchant our agreement allows them 120 days to respond". Come on people, get your act together!
RockyRobin likes this.
Old Jan 31, 2022, 7:56 am

Programs: KLM, BA Silver, Etihad
I'm four months or so in waiting for an M&S 5,000 point purchase. It is at least sat in th spending area.
Old Jan 31, 2022, 12:13 pm

Programs: BAEC Bronze
Originally Posted by RockyRobin
I'm four months or so in waiting for an M&S 5,000 point purchase. It is at least sat in th spending area.
2 x pending m and S transactions from the past month credited this morning.
RockyRobin likes this.
Old Feb 6, 2022, 9:07 am

Originally Posted by FamilyOf6
2 x pending m and S transactions from the past month credited this morning.
I’ve just realised it is actually John Lewis I am waiting on, apologies to M&S
Old Feb 11, 2022, 4:09 am

Programs: BA Gold, Accor Gold
Originally Posted by dougzz
Was the item commissionable for Staff?

There was plenty of reports a while back suggesting that was the issue with many PC World purchases.
I've noticed they've given up trying to stop staff fraud, and now only award Avios on Home Delivery purchases.

I refuse to use Currys/PCWorld due to their fraudulent abuse of the Avios scheme. Their loss, haven't spent a penny there for over 3 years.
LPQ likes this.
Old Mar 2, 2022, 7:57 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA LT Plat (4m+), AF Plat, A3 Gold, Hyatt Lifetime Globalist, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat/Ambassador
Another annoying anecdote today. This one with a different twist.

I made a purchase on Groupon during a promotional period that yielded 4188 Avios. YET AGAIN it was reversed but this time I received a credit the next day of 3734 points (the standard multiple).

These people are so incompetent...
Old Apr 8, 2022, 4:17 am

Programs: BA Executive Blue
Sorry to dig this up, but I didn't want to start a new topic for something relatively paltry

Bought a set of Airtags at Apple through the e-store at £99 at a rate of 6 Avios per pound spent. Today I get an email that 284 are on the way for a purchase amount of £47.20. Not sure where they get this amount from. Even when VAT is deducted that should be £82.50 or 495 Avios.
Anyone got an idea how this amount could have come to be?

OTOH, I bought something for my nephew on another retailer's website at a rate of 5/£1, spent £60 and got the full 300 Avios, so including VAT which usually is deducted.
Old Apr 8, 2022, 4:47 am

Originally Posted by i_concur
I just got 27k avios from hotels.com through the portal.

lovely jubbly.

theyll probably be reversed in about 6 months. And the recredited with about 10 avios less. Seems to be the standard process
They were reversed!!

And then I was given 34k avios instead.
Old Apr 8, 2022, 8:28 am

Originally Posted by ankasi
Sorry to dig this up, but I didn't want to start a new topic for something relatively paltry

Bought a set of Airtags at Apple through the e-store at £99 at a rate of 6 Avios per pound spent. Today I get an email that 284 are on the way for a purchase amount of £47.20. Not sure where they get this amount from. Even when VAT is deducted that should be £82.50 or 495 Avios.
Anyone got an idea how this amount could have come to be?

OTOH, I bought something for my nephew on another retailer's website at a rate of 5/£1, spent £60 and got the full 300 Avios, so including VAT which usually is deducted.
Apple have loads of caveats on individual products for a Avios could it be that?

eg this new iPad Air 5 I am typing on was ring fenced from a Avios reward

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.